KEF new headphones!
Oct 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #648 of 685
http://en.goldenears.net/23944
Here 's the measurement. Looks good.

Still a bit of greek to me. But I was surprised to see them leaning towards veiled. Really? I don't think so.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #650 of 685
Yet some people were saying they were a bit too bright 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #651 of 685
rolleyes.gif

I don't remember people saying that... I did remember people saying that vocals and upper/mids were a bit upfront and others mentioned "shouty".

To me, they sounded like Mad Dog's little brother which is why I compared both when I did my impressions a month+ ago. So not really bright (unless ppl think that the Mad Dogs are bright... .. ... :p)

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #652 of 685
rolleyes.gif

If only based on the graph those do look a little bright as well. A slight Boom-Tish signature. Of course the graph is only a graph and I am not saying it sounds that way because i haven't heard them yet. Also, I am not sure how on-ear measurements should look.

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #653 of 685
The way the reviewer describes the cans as "high resolution" and vivid yet leaning toward "veiled" is how I would describe the mids to upper mids as feeling hot and compressed in signature.

I wouldn't say these cans lack detail or accuracy, they just present it in a warm resonance in many of the dominant frequencies.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #654 of 685
As I seem to recall people discussing in other threads, Golden Ears measurements aren't exactly...good, and smoothing by 1/3 octave?  No thanks, that's such heavy smoothing that the result isn't worth looking at.  I'm definitely getting one of these soon though.  It was between the Q701 and the M500, but I think I'm going to go for the M500 first. :p  I'd really like something that can match my modded V6's qualities, but doesn't have such high THD in the bass, has more treble/upper mids, and has much better extension in both directions.  The more I read, the more this seems to be it.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #655 of 685
  As I seem to recall people discussing in other threads, Golden Ears measurements aren't exactly...good, and smoothing by 1/3 octave?  No thanks, that's such heavy smoothing that the result isn't worth looking at.  I'm definitely getting one of these soon though.  It was between the Q701 and the M500, but I think I'm going to go for the M500 first. :p  I'd really like something that can match my modded V6's qualities, but doesn't have such high THD in the bass, has more treble/upper mids, and has much better extension in both directions.  The more I read, the more this seems to be it.

I am sure you would love them.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #656 of 685

I am sure you would love them.

I think so too. :p  I'll be keeping the V6 as a compliment though...god damn do they put slam behind hardstyle's kicks, I just wish the upper registers snapped more so both parts of the kicks would be tactile.  I might try to write up a comparison when I get them, but the problem with that is nobody besides takato14 has heard the modded V6.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #657 of 685
why no more love for these gems? i know a hole lot of closed back headphones and these are in the same league as srh940, hp100 and way over the sennheiser beyer and whatsover line up. more so, these sound like open headphones. to my ears they are close to the sonic qualities of lets say a k712. would expect that open sound from larger cups aaannndd the comfort is better than any other closed can i know of even though they are on ears. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #659 of 685
  why no more love for these gems? i know a hole lot of closed back headphones and these are in the same league as srh940, hp100 and way over the sennheiser beyer and whatsover line up. more so, these sound like open headphones. to my ears they are close to the sonic qualities of lets say a k712. would expect that open sound from larger cups aaannndd the comfort is better than any other closed can i know of even though they are on ears. 

Yeah, I'm not sure. A few others came have come out that seem to take have taken some of wind out of the M500 sails (such at the HP50's, P7's etc). I suspect also that most people aren't really into "on ear" headphones. And another factor may be that they are somewhat loose on the head.

But when I put my M500's on, firstly I can't beleive how nice the pads feel on the ears, and secondly I am then blown away by how good they sound. So I'll be continuing to show my love for them for some time to come! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #660 of 685
  why no more love for these gems?...

The M500 is in one of the most competitive price segments of the premium headphone market, but it definitely delivers. It is one of my current go-to headphones when it seems I have absolutely no space left in my backpack, but want to bring an over-ear headphone. Folded up and in its case, it's so compact that I can usually find some gap for it, even in a bag that seems full. And it's one of the most comfortable supra-aural (on-ear) headphones I've tried.

So, despite its many competitors, the M500 has much love from this guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back