KEF new headphones!
Sep 2, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #601 of 685
looking forward to your impressions lan647 
popcorn.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #604 of 685
Okay, first impressions of the M500s! 

Man these are good 
biggrin.gif
 I will agree 100% with Macedonianhero's impressions from his portable headphone comparison test and state that these are the most neutral and "high-end" sounding portable cans I've heard so far. They have a very very nice transparent midrange, a well defined, well extended and well controlled bass and a very clean treble. All wrapped in a soundstage that is larger and airier than any on-ear headphone I've listened to. They definitely sound better than the Momentum (which, until now, has been my reference for portable cans).

They are very comfortable on the ears (very light clamp) and they don't seem to slide of my head as easily as I feared. They provide just slight isolation against outside noise but leakage is minimal. 

My only gripe so far is that I feel they are slightly hard in the highs. I will let them burn in and see if this changes. 

But even now with just about an hour or so of listening, I'm liking these big time. Listened to Jacintha's "And The Angels Sing" with them connected to my Meridian Explorer and it sounded so sweet. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #606 of 685
Quote:
I really want to love these KEF cans but they are too ugly to buy LOL

Really?!?
I actually find them very good looking... not Momentum-like good looking, but I like their looks (and their sound and their comfort, etc. etc. -- compared to Momentums.)

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #608 of 685
Quote:
Okay, first impressions of the M500s! 

Man these are good 
biggrin.gif
 I will agree 100% with Macedonianhero's impressions from his portable headphone comparison test and state that these are the most neutral and "high-end" sounding portable cans I've heard so far. They have a very very nice transparent midrange, a well defined, well extended and well controlled bass and a very clean treble. All wrapped in a soundstage that is larger and airier than any on-ear headphone I've listened to. They definitely sound better than the Momentum (which, until now, has been my reference for portable cans).

They are very comfortable on the ears (very light clamp) and they don't seem to slide of my head as easily as I feared. They provide just slight isolation against outside noise but leakage is minimal. 

My only gripe so far is that I feel they are slightly hard in the highs. I will let them burn in and see if this changes. 

But even now with just about an hour or so of listening, I'm liking these big time. Listened to Jacintha's "And The Angels Sing" with them connected to my Meridian Explorer and it sounded so sweet. 

Hey great. I'm glad you're enjoying these great sounding (and looking cans). 
size]
 Give them some burn-in and please keep us abreast of your findings.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #609 of 685
Need some comparisons to other cans for a reference point. Doesn't matter the can.
I can read positive reviews all day and not come with an idea without a reference point..

At this point from what I have read it should be on a similar level with the better popular portables.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #610 of 685
Need some comparisons to other cans for a reference point. Doesn't matter the can.
I can read positive reviews all day and not come with an idea without a reference point..

At this point from what I have read it should be on a similar level with the better popular portables.

Guess you should search more... .... :p

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #611 of 685
Haha yes I remember that now :p

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #612 of 685

Funny you should say this, because this is exactly how I feel about the Audio Technica ATH-ES700. They've gotten a lot of praise - from you too, but there's not enough comparison to the other portables (the KEF M500 included) for me to take the plunge.

The M500 has received many a decent review and has been compared to the other popular portables, which is why I'm strongly leaning towards it for now, but there hasn't been a comparison with the ATH-ES700... yet. I know the 2 are in different price brackets and I sort of know what to expect, but pricier doesn't always mean better so I'm still unsure as to which I should get. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this soon.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #613 of 685
Well I took a gamble and ordered a pair of these. They came overnight in record speed!

They are quite good.  It's difficult to make a fair comparison in device class. My venture experiences in audiophile-hood the past 8 months have been
with larger setups and over-ear cans.  I've never extensively used a pair of on-ears before and for portable I've only extensively used Klipsch Image S-4 IEMs. So take my impressions with a grain of salt. 

Regarding portables I have tested for small periods: Sennheiser Momentums (over ear), DT1350s, Grado SR-80s (on ear) and V-Moda M-100s. Comparatively I am impressed with this headphone's ability to have accurate imaging and presentation.  No aspect of the audio is overemphasized.   The presentation is versatile.  All the details I expect and want to hear are there.  As smooth as the Momentums are, I felt like I had to fight their presentation bias a little too much on the EQ side.

However the can is significantly warmer than I expected it to sound.  The lows and bass are far from over-accentuated but separation within the mids is not super crystaline and though I detect no major distortion per se there is some convolution I did not expect nor would I prefer for my listening preferences. 

It is somewhat less mellow sounding than Momentums.  Overall very good; the soundstage does not feel terribly wide or deep to me though-- certainly not too cramped, just knows its place in the lets-compromise-for-portable sphere. The good separation in the highs and very musical/well punctuated and present lows are this headphones strong suits. Mids? They are well balanced but a little tinted.

So far I have found the isolation to be around average, as others have.  I have yet to take them on the long commute through the subway.  When I do I will update you with significant data on the isolation issue.

The fit is a bit clampier than I expected but I guess that's expected for on-ear.  The build quality feels first rate and the memory foam ear cups are awesome.  They DO slip VERY
EASILY.  Even a moderate amount of velocity has the potential to de-seat the very light aluminum frame and that cannot be accentuated enough.

Overall I would rank the sound as very good.  To me, very good equates with 'acceptable' for any audiophile looking for a portable solution with even, balanced sound.  Is it priceworthy?  Well, that's subjective.  I think I definitely got my money's worth in overall quality and the sound is strong and versatile. Ultimate portable solution for me?  Of course not. Who thought it would be?

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #614 of 685
  Well I took a gamble and ordered a pair of these. They came overnight in record speed!

They are quite good.  It's difficult to make a fair comparison in device class. My venture experiences in audiophile-hood the past 8 months have been
with larger setups and over-ear cans.  I've never extensively used a pair of on-ears before and for portable I've only extensively used Klipsch Image S-4 IEMs. So take my impressions with a grain of salt. 

Regarding portables I have tested for small periods: Sennheiser Momentums (over ear), DT1350s, Grado SR-80s (on ear) and V-Moda M-100s. Comparatively I am impressed with this headphone's ability to have accurate imaging and presentation.  No aspect of the audio is overemphasized.   The presentation is versatile.  All the details I expect and want to hear are there.  As smooth as the Momentums are, I felt like I had to fight their presentation bias a little too much on the EQ side.

However the can is significantly warmer than I expected it to sound.  The lows and bass are far from over-accentuated but separation within the mids is not super crystaline and though I detect no major distortion per se there is some convolution I did not expect nor would I prefer for my listening preferences. 

It is somewhat less mellow sounding than Momentums.  Overall very good; the soundstage does not feel terribly wide or deep to me though-- certainly not too cramped, just knows its place in the lets-compromise-for-portable sphere. The good separation in the highs and very musical/well punctuated and present lows are this headphones strong suits. Mids? They are well balanced but a little tinted.

So far I have found the isolation to be around average, as others have.  I have yet to take them on the long commute through the subway.  When I do I will update you with significant data on the isolation issue.

The fit is a bit clampier than I expected but I guess that's expected for on-ear.  The build quality feels first rate and the memory foam ear cups are awesome.  They DO slip VERY
EASILY.  Even a moderate amount of velocity has the potential to de-seat the very light aluminum frame and that cannot be accentuated enough.

Overall I would rank the sound as very good.  To me, very good equates with 'acceptable' for any audiophile looking for a portable solution with even, balanced sound.  Is it priceworthy?  Well, that's subjective.  I think I definitely got my money's worth in overall quality and the sound is strong and versatile. Ultimate portable solution for me?  Of course not. Who thought it would be?

Seems like the ultimate portable headphone to me...

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #615 of 685
Indeed they are quite good.  My initial impression is only meant to bring them in perspective and offer a balanced description.  I do prefer them over the Momentums because they are just as versatile and feel "faster", more authentic, less subdued with good body.  The soundstage for a portable I am sure is quite good and I prefer them over the other phones listed, as everyone else seems to.

I am happy with them so far and will give a small update as I continue to listen and test out their isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back