KEF new headphones!
Jul 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #316 of 685
I owned the HD600 and really enjoyed them except for the way they reproduced cymbals. They had more of a ping like quality than a sizzle like quality. I also found they were a bit veiled in the mids.

I ultimately switched to the SRH-1440/940 due to the mids and treble and have since found them a bit too bright as well. All of the comments I have read suggest these will have the clarity of the 1440/940 without being quite as bright and possibly a bit more bassy which sounds very appealing. Then you add comfortable and portable and it is very compelling for me.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #317 of 685
They sounded veiled? Odd. But I do know the Shure SRH940 is too bright for me.

I'm really just looking for something that works better for vocals and horns than the SA5000, and I'm assuming both apply.

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #318 of 685
Shure SRH940s are indeed bright but oh how I love them! :wink:

Still, I have thoroughly enjoyed MrSpeakers Mad Dogs for vocals, acoustic, etc. (but they do well with most genres anyway) and I would definitely suggest them (I did also had the HD600s...). So this is why I'm interested on these... seems like they would sound similar, just less warmer (with probably less bass punch?!?!)

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #319 of 685
I have a pair of T50RPs and there's just something about their sound that turns me off to them. I've yet to hear the Mad Dogs (but to be honest I'd probably go all the way with a Paradox) but I'm a little hesitant to buy a T50RP mod without hearing it. There is that 15 day return policy though... I'll wait for impressions on this.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #320 of 685
Anyone else tried the M200s IEM's? I recently picked up a pair. They look/feel like high quality little things, and (as an long time KSC 35 user) I like the ear clips. But I'm thinking a return is likely. They're just really tilted towards the bass. For reference, the other cans and IEMs I have on hand are Denon D2000, Senn HD580, AKG K550, Mad Dog v. 3.0 (I think; bought them during the "Alpha pad shortage"), Ety ER-4, ADDIEM (Tyll measured my spare pair for Innerfidelity), and the $30 ViSang dynamic IEMs that Dr. Earl Geddes praises on Amazon. My reference home audio system uses Pioneer EX ("baby TAD") speakers up front, KEF R800ds side surround, and KEF Q100 rear-surround, along with multisubs, and Anthem Room Correction's target curve set to provide 4dB of "room gain" down low.

On a track like Radiohead's "How to Disappear Completely," (Kid A) the bassline dominates the song. They're even bassier than the D2000s! 

They're even plummier on a fairly high source impedance amp (specifically, a Meridian Explorer), but even on a low source impedance amp (specifically, a Headroom Micro with Home electronics module) they're extremely tilted. (They sound a bit "looser" on the ME headphone jack than on the Micro fed via the ME's line output.)

Now, the M200's do bass with aplomb - no sounds of strain or dynamic compression. Which makes me think that my pair isn't defective, but that they were voiced with this tilt. (Perhaps to make them sound full and rich at lower-than-usual volume?) 

Has anyone else tried them, and noticed the same thing?

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #321 of 685
I was wondering about those, but if they are tilted towards bass, count me out.

KEF got it right with the M500s.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #322 of 685
Anyone else tried the M200s IEM's? I recently picked up a pair. They look/feel like high quality little things, and (as an long time KSC 35 user) I like the ear clips. But I'm thinking a return is likely. They're just really tilted towards the bass. For reference, the other cans and IEMs I have on hand are Denon D2000, Senn HD580, AKG K550, Mad Dog v. 3.0 (I think; bought them during the "Alpha pad shortage"), Ety ER-4, ADDIEM (Tyll measured my spare pair for Innerfidelity), and the $30 ViSang dynamic IEMs that Dr. Earl Geddes praises on Amazon. My reference home audio system uses Pioneer EX ("baby TAD") speakers up front, KEF R800ds side surround, and KEF Q100 rear-surround, along with multisubs, and Anthem Room Correction's target curve set to provide 4dB of "room gain" down low.

On a track like Radiohead's "How to Disappear Completely," (Kid A) the bassline dominates the song. They're even bassier than the D2000s! 

They're even plummier on a fairly high source impedance amp (specifically, a Meridian Explorer), but even on a low source impedance amp (specifically, a Headroom Micro with Home electronics module) they're extremely tilted. (They sound a bit "looser" on the ME headphone jack than on the Micro fed via the ME's line output.)

Now, the M200's do bass with aplomb - no sounds of strain or dynamic compression. Which makes me think that my pair isn't defective, but that they were voiced with this tilt. (Perhaps to make them sound full and rich at lower-than-usual volume?) 

Has anyone else tried them, and noticed the same thing?

It looks like all your other IEMs are on the colder side? Haven't heard the ViSang but I would consider Ety and ADDIEM on the lean side. Anyways, I happen to have ears that make most IEMs sound bassier than they are to other people, such that a moderately bassy IEM will sound bassier than even the bassiest full-sized headphone. I'm not saying that your ears are like mine, and I haven't even heard the M200, but just something to think about :)

And actually I don't mind this - I use IEMs when I'm out and about, where lots of bass is good to counteract the noise around me, and then headphones for more accurate sound when I'm sitting down and can enjoy the finer aspects of sound.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #324 of 685
I have had the M200's for over a month n. IMO they the best balanced IEMs I have heard to date. In my experience, bass sounded more natural compared with others I've used. Soundstage is deep as opposed to wide with vocals pushed at the very front. Separation I find is excellent. I guess it's down to personal taste but I really like these. In fact, on the strength of these I went and and bought the M500s and to be honest haven't looked back. Very impressive stuff from KEF

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #325 of 685
After another day with the M500s I thought I'd add a few more comments. First a small negative - I wore them quite a bit today, probably 6 hours total, and my one ear got a little sore so the clamp will take a little getting used to.  Now the good - The more I listen to them the better they sound.  I was afraid yesterday might be just new toy syndrome but after hearing mote things in different songs that just sound right I am liking them even more.  I hooked them up to my Yamaha receiver and they sounded even better.  I was surprised by the improvement, not huge but very noticeable.  Using an O2 over my iPhone by itself showed improvement in the sound as well.  Well worth the price in my opinion if the reviews in this thread sound like something that would interest you.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #326 of 685
I don't have comfort issues at all. I do, however, notice that things seem to be shifted to my left ear. I'm not sure if anyone has this same issue? It could very well be the recordings combined with the somewhat smaller soundstage. I don't know.

Either way, keep listening and I almost guarantee you will like them more and more.

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #327 of 685
Update on my comfort comment - I made a small adjustment and lowered the headphone on my ear and it feels much better. Obviously user error on my part. A couple songs that sound really nice, and exactly how I expect them to would be Eric Clapton's Holy Mother (Live), Jeff Beck's Goodbye Pork Pie Hat from the Performing this week at Ronnie Scott's, ZZ Top Blue Jean Blues, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells Boogie Chillen, The Band Up On Cripple Creek, and Roy Rodger's Blues On The Range. robm321 - I did notice on one album the sound seemed to be a little left of center too, so I played a few mono tracks from the Beatles collection and they were dead center. Tried another pair of phones and realized the first album was a little left using those too so I think your assumption is correct.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #329 of 685
Quote:
Update on my comfort comment - I made a small adjustment and lowered the headphone on my ear and it feels much better. Obviously user error on my part. A couple songs that sound really nice, and exactly how I expect them to would be Eric Clapton's Holy Mother (Live), Jeff Beck's Goodbye Pork Pie Hat from the Performing this week at Ronnie Scott's, ZZ Top Blue Jean Blues, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells Boogie Chillen, The Band Up On Cripple Creek, and Roy Rodger's Blues On The Range. robm321 - I did notice on one album the sound seemed to be a little left of center too, so I played a few mono tracks from the Beatles collection and they were dead center. Tried another pair of phones and realized the first album was a little left using those too so I think your assumption is correct.

Thanks for letting me know. I haven't had a chance to test a mono or test CD yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back