KEF new headphones!
Jul 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #286 of 685
Quote:
From what you guys are saying though, I just wish the isolation were better... Let me ask, If you're in the same room with someone who is watching tv at a normal/maybe slight loud level, would you find yourself raising the volume to hear the music? I know they may not be suited for public transport/coffee shop...

I don't have to have the music up very loud to make the television inaudible. If I pause the music, though, I can hear things well enough to carry on a conversation. Which is what I prefer, I don't care for that anechoic chamber sensation. Personally, I think they would be just fine for everyday use in public places.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #288 of 685
Quote:

Better balanced overall, without the tendency towards brightness that the AKG and Shure have.

How is the sound stage on these compared to the above mentioned headphones? Is it similarly open sounding or is more closed sounding?

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #289 of 685
Jul 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #290 of 685
I was just checking the red dot design award website, as they have recently put up an online exhibition of the 2013 award winner. There seems to be a lot of headphones winning the award, so I am not too surprised about m500 getting the award with its rather distinctive look. But then there is something very interesting.... it says "Design, Porsche Design GmbH (Roland Heiler), Austria"

http://red-dot.de/pd/online-exhibition/work/?lang=en&code=2013-17-5434&y=2013&c=165&a=0

Porsche Design?! Is that for real?! 

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #291 of 685
Quote:

Better balanced overall, without the tendency towards brightness that the AKG and Shure have.

How is the sound stage on these compared to the above mentioned headphones? Is it similarly open sounding or is more closed sounding?

The soundstage is smaller than both of those you mentioned but very airy and open sounding.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #292 of 685
Thanks Rob, between you and Beagle plus some of the other comments / impressions I have read I just placed an order from Mad Dog for a pair of these. Tried to buy them locally but there does not appear to be any Shops in Calgary I could buy from and I refuse to pay inflated prices from Canadian online sources like the KEF Canada website. Sometimes I get nailed by customs but generally speaking it's worth the added wait and risk.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #294 of 685
Better midrange. I find the 1350 midrange more than a bit pinched and uneven.

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #296 of 685
I was just checking the red dot design award website, as they have recently put up an online exhibition of the 2013 award winner. There seems to be a lot of headphones winning the award, so I am not too surprised about m500 getting the award with its rather distinctive look. But then there is something very interesting.... it says "Design, Porsche Design GmbH
 (Roland Heiler), Austria"

http://red-dot.de/pd/online-exhibition/work/?lang=en&code=2013-17-5434&y=2013&c=165&a=0

Porsche Design?! Is that for real?! 

I had no idea Porsche Design did headphones. And it never occurred to me that the design was an allusion to a musical note until I read that... now that I see it, I like the design more :)

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #297 of 685
Thanks Rob, between you and Beagle plus some of the other comments / impressions I have read I just placed an order from Mad Dog for a pair of these. Tried to buy them locally but there does not appear to be any Shops in Calgary I could buy from and I refuse to pay inflated prices from Canadian online sources like the KEF Canada website. Sometimes I get nailed by customs but generally speaking it's worth the added wait and risk.

Congrats! Slim chance you will be disappointed. Definitely worth the risk. I am a fan of the Mad Dogs, but the M500 hits every mark. In fact, I can't think of any headphone that gets everything right, like these. Not to say they are the best headphone ever made. Its just that they cover all frequencies evenly AND manage to sound very natural and engaging with a richly detailed mid range while managing to be comfortable, low profile and good looking.

I look forward to your impressions.

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #299 of 685

Users who are viewing this thread

Back