KEF new headphones!
Aug 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #496 of 685
Quote:

Sounds familiar to me. I've had the M500 for 4 days and my first impression was: 

Very little bass, near no sub bass, very cristalin smooth high and lush voices BUT a snappy peak in the higher mids somewhere making them sound very fast, snappy, yet sharp in a not so pleasant way to my ears. I was listening with a Tera player, kinda notorious for being hard to match with low impedance headphones such as these M500. A couple of tera owners recommended them so I gave them a try.

I thought these were designed to be portable so I assumed, maybe they'll sound better with iphone... Nop! A little better but still way off to my ears.

Finally yesterday, I decided to try them on a HM801 DAP and WOW! The bass and sub bass were back in the picture, the undesirable peak was gone and everything sounded a lot more balanced and neutral. My M500 still need to burn in at least another 100 hrs but still. I can now hear the true potential of these cans and I know they will sound pretty good.
I played with the EQ a little to add a tad of bass and they can deliver plenty of bass and sub bass granted they are properly matched and maybe given a little boost.

They still have much speed  and attack (reminiscent of LCD2s that I've had in the past) but also matched with an overall liquidity that I find quite stunning. These phones are no light weight, I think it is preferable to match them with warmer sources that also offer EQ (like HM801) or amps (don't know much about desktop/portable amps).

If I didn't have the HM801, I'd say these headphones signature really suck. But because I have heard them better matched, I can say they sound pretty amazing already (not even being fully burned in!)

My two cents!

thanks for this info...good matching is still the key to any can soundg its best. 801 isnt cheap...anything more down to earth$$?  :p

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #497 of 685
Hifiman has a HM601 for about $160 (used) to $249 new that sounds very good too. It is not as warm/full sounding as the HM801 but fed with wave or Flac files, it sounds really good. I sold mine couple years ago so I can't say for sure if it would be a good match but it also has an EQ so I'm sure you could tame the upper mids and add a little bass with great results. The M500 respond well with  the HM801's EQ.

One thing I have noticed about the M500 is that on wave files converted from Apple "Lossless" or MP3 320 Kbps (instead of directly from a CD straight to wave), the M500 hiss a lot louder than my other headphones.
With Wave files from CDs, there is zero hiss. Black background! Which tells me the M500 are very transparent, resolving, and meant for higher end DAPs and amps.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #499 of 685
the batterylife on the 601 suczzzzz 
deadhorse.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #504 of 685
Quote:
What resolution is the music files you are playing and what player are you using? 

I find that the M500 gives you whatever is on the recording and whatever your source, amp, etc is delivering. 

Another thing is that there are a lot of headphones that bump the bass up and roll off the treble to give an artificially smooth sound. I think people might think that is accurate since it is so common these days. 

Quote:

I agree with you. I'm not hearing the crap that others are hearing with these cans.

I got the M500 last week and 3 days after I got the Momentum. I wanted to hear for myself what everybody is talking about and why more people think M500 is better sounding. Now that I have been listening to them on and off for a few days now. I would like to share my own thoughts on the M500. Before these two headphones, I own Shure440 and Sony mdr-V6. I always use EQ on these phones and I like how they sound with it. With M500 and Momentum, they taught me how to really listen to music without the EQ and I am very happy to discover music all over again.
My set up is Imac>itunes>AudioengineD1>320kbps mp3, for the most part I found Robm321 and Beagle's impressions to be very close and precise compare to mine. I tried quite a few genres of music and M500 will give you whatever is on the recording.  It is balanced and neutral to my ears, with great recording (for eg, Please Mr. Postman - The Carpenters) - It just gives me chills up my spine. It sounds really really good. I am not going to use terms that I don't even know what it really means so I'm just gonna leave it at that.

It will be interesting to see what the "authorities" think of the M500 when they get around to it.  I personally love M500 sound and it really grows on me. Now, if I have to pick one - I would have to go with M500.  BUT I am going to keep both and stop buying any more headphones!! Please god, let these be it. I never listen to any high-end headphones that cost more than the Momentum but if they are really better. I think my ears would probably not picking up those nuances.  I don't find faults in Momentum but my personal preference is M500 for its air and openness when recordings has room for it.  It is very fun reading everyone's comments prior to drop about $600 for these two headphones and I love them both. They are so comfortable to wear, look great and more importantly sound great.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #505 of 685
Quote:

I got the M500 last week and 3 days after I got the Momentum. I wanted to hear for myself what everybody is talking about and why more people think M500 is better sounding. Now that I have been listening to them on and off for a few days now. I would like to share my own thoughts on the M500. Before these two headphones, I own Shure440 and Sony mdr-V6. I always use EQ on these phones and I like how they sound with it. With M500 and Momentum, they taught me how to really listen to music without the EQ and I am very happy to discover music all over again.
My set up is Imac>itunes>AudioengineD1>320kbps mp3, for the most part I found Robm321 and Beagle's impressions to be very close and precise compare to mine. I tried quite a few genres of music and M500 will give you whatever is on the recording.  It is balanced and neutral to my ears, with great recording (for eg, Please Mr. Postman - The Carpenters) - It just gives me chills up my spine. It sounds really really good. I am not going to use terms that I don't even know what it really means so I'm just gonna leave it at that.

It will be interesting to see what the "authorities" think of the M500 when they get around to it.  I personally love M500 sound and it really grows on me. Now, if I have to pick one - I would have to go with M500.  BUT I am going to keep both and stop buying any more headphones!! Please god, let these be it. I never listen to any high-end headphones that cost more than the Momentum but if they are really better. I think my ears would probably not picking up those nuances.  I don't find faults in Momentum but my personal preference is M500 for its air and openness when recordings has room for it.  It is very fun reading everyone's comments prior to drop about $600 for these two headphones and I love them both. They are so comfortable to wear, look great and more importantly sound great.

Nice First Post! Good honest review.
beerchug.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #507 of 685
Quote:

One thing I have noticed about the M500 is that on wave files converted from Apple "Lossless" or MP3 320 Kbps (instead of directly from a CD straight to wave), the M500 hiss a lot louder than my other headphones.
With Wave files from CDs, there is zero hiss.

Is this normal? Why would converting CD->ALAC (lossless)->WAV be any different that directly from CD->WAV?
There is no lossy conversion/compression step introduced in either case so I'm surprised the final wav files would sound different.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #509 of 685
Quote:
m200 vs W4....anyone??

The M200 and M500 are being shipped to me at I type. So maybe I've have some thoughts for you on Thursday or Friday.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #510 of 685
Quote:

The M200 and M500 are being shipped to me at I type. So maybe I've have some thoughts for you on Thursday or Friday.

Go big or go home lol! Nice work
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back