KEF new headphones!
Apr 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #16 of 685
Quote:

Correct, Tylls measurements are more trustworthy I'd say. Would of course be nice to read a full review...

The comments regarding materials used give a bit more credence to the effort I guess. Nevertheless it does still look like plastic to me.

My first instinct was that it was plastic too, but apparently it's a "sandblasted alumnium alloy" - it will likely look better in real life. When the LCD-2 photos were first coming out before launch I always thought the black parts were plastic, but up close in real life it was obvious that they were a strong metal.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #17 of 685
Quote:
FR given on KEFs site looks interesting (if thats anything to go by), the design is not my cup of tea though.

There seems to be no indication of how the response was measured, and no points of comparison to other headphones measured in that way. The graph is of no practical use.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #18 of 685
Quote:

There seems to be no indication of how the response was measured, and no points of comparison to other headphones measured in that way. The graph is of no practical use.

'Looks interesting' of course implies that the graph has something to do with established practices... and you're right that no indication to the truth in this implication can be found on the product page.

In general I'd consider KEF to be an established manufacturer (if not in the area of headphones), not new to measurements. Nevertheless the graph looks suspiciously even around 4-16kHz... in the end one can only decide by listening I guess.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #19 of 685
Quote:
In general I'd consider KEF to be an established manufacturer (if not in the area of headphones), not new to measurements. Nevertheless the graph looks suspiciously even around 4-16kHz... in the end one can only decide by listening I guess.

I agree and was about to say - KEF are a highly credible organisation who have been making high end speakers since the 60s. They aren't fly by night cowboys and if they want to take headphones seriously, certainly have the expertise to make something good. 

There is no reason a set of headphones shouldn't be even from 4-16k, but they aren't usually tuned that way. But then we don't know what these measurements are - is it raw data, compensated? If compensated what curve did they use? 

Hopefully KEF will send a pair to Innerfidelity and we'll see for sure.

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #21 of 685
To people who comment on the looks, WHO CARES???? And more to that point, what are these companies supposed to do? Make them look like Sennies? Grado's? Beats!!? It's personal preference and of course you can't please everybody all of the time. But I couldn't give a rats arse what cans look like as long as they SOUND good.

I have a lot of respect for KEF and their heritage in speaker building, so I myself will reserve judgement. IF they don't live up to the KEF standard then they will be shooting themselves in the foot big time and will lose respect in the business.

If I had one complaint on the design it would be that I personally don't like cups sitting on my ear. Though again, if they are good enough, I would learn to live with them.

Can't wait for a full review!

(And I mean negative comments on the looks. Too much negativity around peeps!)

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #22 of 685
Well, I do care about looks. Sound is the primary objective, no question. But I'll pass if the design does not appeal to me -- which is easy, as I essentially already own a pair I like in both respects for every need I have (home/office/on the go/sports). And I guess I'll always find a pair that sounds good _and_ has a design that appeals to me should the need arise...

Besides that I see these headphones placed as a design object (besides sounding good), so I guess KEF can cope with comments on the design (which is always a simple matter of taste and therefore just a comment, nothing more). If you like them -- good. If you don't care about the design -- good as well. I'm interested in reading a full review as well, but I guess I'll leave it at that (i.e. reading)...

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #23 of 685
 Makes me roll my eyes when people put style before substance and make judgments based on visuals! There will always be exceptions to this rule, when companies make "toy" cans aimed at the uneducated but if people are concerned about how cans look, then buy IEM's. I am not particularly mad on the look of my PSB's, nor Ultrasones and a few others I've had in my time, in fact Grado's are the only cans I can think of that I have actually really liked the look of. Try not let it bother you and I promise you a better listening experience!

Of course, to each their own applies.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #25 of 685
Quote:
 Makes me roll my eyes when people put style before substance and make judgments based on visuals! There will always be exceptions to this rule, when companies make "toy" cans aimed at the uneducated but if people are concerned about how cans look, then buy IEM's. I am not particularly mad on the look of my PSB's, nor Ultrasones and a few others I've had in my time, in fact Grado's are the only cans I can think of that I have actually really liked the look of. Try not let it bother you and I promise you a better listening experience!

Of course, to each their own applies.

Eye rolling won't change much -- I sometimes do the same when someone passes by me wearing Beats or similar :wink:

No, I'd never buy headphones that look good and sound bad. Too much of a music lover for that... But I'd also never buy a headphone that sounds good and has looks that I don't like -- too much of an aesthete for that. As I said before: there are enough headphones that satisfy both my needs. And given my limited amount of time I can spend on this hobby its not bad to be able to weed out quite some offers beforehand.

Ok, now BTT.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #26 of 685
I do care about looks, but sound and comfort is much more important.

If the pads are soft, then they seem very comfortable, definately will have to try them.

The price is ok, they can fold, check check :)

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #27 of 685
Wait, am I the only one who thinks these look sleek?  The pads, however, don't look like they're thick enough.  

I've been wanting a pair of these (or the towers) for a while...but just upgraded the towers in my living room, so that won't be happening for a while.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #29 of 685
Wait, am I the only one who thinks these look sleek?  The pads, however, don't look like they're thick enough.  

I've been wanting a pair of these (or the towers) for a while...but just upgraded the towers in my living room, so that won't be happening for a while.

Impossible to know whether the pads are thick enough because we don't know how much they compress. They look about the same thickness as the B&W pads they are clearly inspired by, and those are comfortable headphones.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #30 of 685
Quote:
I wonder when they will hit the U.S. streets.

I bet you will be reviewing them Hifiguy? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back