KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #887 of 1,358
  I love the M200, but I feel the same way.  Have you found anything more to your tastes?

Not really.  After the eq, I think the m200's are my current favorite overall.  But for vocal (female vocals especially) i'll usually go back to my ba200s (i see you have those as well).  I tried some ety hf3s and liked the mids/detail a lot but one of those drivers died on me so I might try the er4pts next as the ety signature seems to complement the m200's (bright and clear vs deep and clear imo).

I'm starting to think that I just need multiple iems... or I need customs but that's a slippery slope heh.

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #888 of 1,358
  Not really.  After the eq, I think the m200's are my current favorite overall.  But for vocal (female vocals especially) i'll usually go back to my ba200s (i see you have those as well).  I tried some ety hf3s and liked the mids/detail a lot but one of those drivers died on me so I might try the er4pts next as the ety signature seems to complement the m200's (bright and clear vs deep and clear imo).

I'm starting to think that I just need multiple iems... or I need customs but that's a slippery slope heh.

Lol. You do need multiple iems. Even with a custom, I still have two universals to compliment them. I recommend having two with different sound sig.

I think I'm going crazy. For me, UERM and IM03 does it.

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #889 of 1,358
  Lol. You do need multiple iems. Even with a custom, I still have two universals to compliment them. I recommend having two with different sound sig.

Not me. One pair of iems is all I need!

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #891 of 1,358

I think I'm going crazy. For me, UERM and IM03 does it.

haha i have 4 main iems haha (gr07 be , re400, monster turbines, jvc fxd80) 1 is not enough 2 seems like the most sane # for iems haha

but i have 4 more crappier (gym ones lying around)

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #892 of 1,358
  haha i have 4 main iems haha (gr07 be , re400, monster turbines, jvc fxd80) 1 is not enough 2 seems like the most sane # for iems haha

but i have 4 more crappier (gym ones lying around)

If we don't use them more than 2x per day they don't count into the total right? :wink:  
Given that rule... I have 2 iems (oh and 3 headphones)

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #894 of 1,358
Hello everyone! 

First I would like to say that I have been a visitor of this site for over a year now but finally signed up just recently. I have enjoyed reading reviews and tips from some of the users here.

I need help deciding between the KEF M200's or the Sennheiser IE 80's.

I will start off by saying that I was going to purchase the ie80's but for some reason Best Buy stopped carrying them for a while. So instead I went with the M200's. I freaking loved them. They were the best IEM's I have ever owned but sadly I returned them to use the money to finish a gaming pc and because they had driver flex.  I was going to repurchase a new pair but I saw that the ie80's had returned to best buy's selection. So now I am mixed.

I know the prices are different but I do get a discount as I am a best buy employee. Do the Sennheisers have any major advantages over the KEFs two drivers? Is the bass similar? I am new to higher end iems and found the bass on the m200's to be superb. I have read the ie80's have too much bass but I suppose I am a little of a basshead so that shouldn't be an issue. Also while the sound was excellent I found the m200's to be a little quiet. Am I disgracing either of these iems without using an amp like the fiio e6?

I am always listening to lossless music from an Galaxy s5 and spotify premium. My musical taste is varied but I primarily listen to movie/video game soundtracks. I have my fair share of electronic and classical music too. 

Thank You so much for any help. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #896 of 1,358
  I just traded my M500 for M200+cash. M200 should be interesting. I'm really an iem guy. 3 high end universal iem, one high end custom iem. Collection keeps on growing!

Would love to hear your comparison when you've had a chance to have a good listen. The M200 is the first pair that I could really see the value in a higher investment on IEMs. I've had pairs from 50-100 EUR from Sony, Sennheiser and Shure, and they all sound pretty much the same, none definitely justifying the price difference. Kefs are twice as much as the most expensive IEMs I've owned, and worth every cent. Wondering if there's even better ones out there, and when law of diminishing returns makes the outlay indefensible.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #897 of 1,358

Would love to hear your comparison when you've had a chance to have a good listen. The M200 is the first pair that I could really see the value in a higher investment on IEMs. I've had pairs from 50-100 EUR from Sony, Sennheiser and Shure, and they all sound pretty much the same, none definitely justifying the price difference. Kefs are twice as much as the most expensive IEMs I've owned, and worth every cent. Wondering if there's even better ones out there, and when law of diminishing returns makes the outlay indefensible.

Sure.

If you compare them to my current collection, MDR7550 would be a fair comparison. It'd be really really hard to beat the 7550 is bass though.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #898 of 1,358

If you compare them to my current collection, MDR7550 would be a fair comparison. It'd be really really hard to beat the 7550 is bass though.

Apart from the 7550 being more balanced, they should hold their own very well, particularly in the mids and highs.

The M200's bass is a tad overdone and benefits from a light seal (or front vent mod). They won't beat the 7550 in that regard.

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #900 of 1,358
So, I've got the M200 in mail today.

Quick notes.
The fit, while overall good, has serious seal issues with the stock tips. There have been many suggestion for replacement tips. I, having owned 10+ iems in the past year, went through all my iem tip collection, and tried about 10+ pairs of different kind of tips, varying from normal silicon sleeves, dual flange, and even foams. Only few of them fit, but I found the perfect one. It seems like foam is the best solution for M200 as the seal is the issue here.

Here's my recommendations. My favorite iem tips are shure olives. Small ones. Of course, they don't normally fit the M200. M200 have huge tips. So, just remove the cores of the olives, and use them. They're on my M200, and manages to get the job that with supreme comfort and not much change in overall SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back