KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #646 of 1,358
I can snag some M200's from a trusted source, but they are missing the large sized tips. I normally oscillate between medium sized tips and large sized tips, but my understanding is that the M200 large tips are, well, very large, and I'm not sure if I would have the need to use them.

Is anybody using the M200's with the large sized tips? And if so, are your ear canals freakishly large lol? 

In my case the large ones fit me but I do not get a seal with any of the stock tips. I think they are too soft to provide a constant seal.
IE8/80, TF10, Hifiman tips or anything with a large inner diameter (6 mm nozzle!) will fit.

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #647 of 1,358
In my case the large ones fit me but I do not get a seal with any of the stock tips. I think they are too soft to provide a constant seal.
IE8/80, TF10, Hifiman tips or anything with a large inner diameter (6 mm nozzle!) will fit.

Thanks! I have the M200's on the way, and also the large tips and an interesting assortment of other tips on the way to try out with them (thanks to a very generous fellow head-fier). 

So consider myself VERY HYPED!
beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #648 of 1,358
I'm happy to report that the M200 sounds superb with the Colorfly C3!

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #650 of 1,358
  I'm happy to report that the M200 sounds superb with the Colorfly C3!

Nice shot d marc0! Yes, they look very happy together 
smile.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #651 of 1,358
I received my KEF M500 today and must say that I am very impressed with them so far. Besides the superb construction, I find the fit and comfort to be excellent. It seems like a closed phone for folks who like open phones! Little, if any, leakage to the outside but yet one is aware of the surroundings.

I would have to say that this is probably the most neutral headphone that I can remember hearing but still handles both ends of the audio frequency band with authority. SQ is tonally excellent and extremely well-balanced. Very very speaker-like presentation. My streaming music which is by no means HiRes actually sounds as good as most of my CD's.

I am quite sensitive to heat buildup around my ears with most circumaural phones, but these sit very comfortably on my ears and so far, heat has not been a problem.

Although I see many phones come and go, I suspect that these will remain with me for quite some time. IMO, they punch far above their price point.

I need to try them at greater length with my DAP's and both portable and desktop amps to see if I can find any non-synergistic combinations. So far, so good!

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #652 of 1,358
I received my KEF M500 today and must say that I am very impressed with them so far. Besides the superb construction, I find the fit and comfort to be excellent. It seems like a closed phone for folks who like open phones! Little, if any, leakage to the outside but yet one is aware of the surroundings.

I would have to say that this is probably the most neutral headphone that I can remember hearing but still handles both ends of the audio frequency band with authority. SQ is tonally excellent and extremely well-balanced. Very very speaker-like presentation. My streaming music which is by no means HiRes actually sounds as good as most of my CD's.

I am quite sensitive to heat buildup around my ears with most circumaural phones, but these sit very comfortably on my ears and so far, heat has not been a problem.

Although I see many phones come and go, I suspect that these will remain with me for quite some time. IMO, they punch far above their price point.

I need to try them at greater length with my DAP's and both portable and desktop amps to see if I can find any non-synergistic combinations. So far, so good!

If you have any comparative feedback you can offer regarding how they sound compared to AT ESW9's...please share.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #653 of 1,358

Beauty!
beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #654 of 1,358
If you have any comparative feedback you can offer regarding how they sound compared to AT ESW9's...please share.

It has been a very long time since I heard the ESW9, so I can't make a comparison of SQ, but I can say the the build quality is considerably more upscale and appears as though they would take more abuse. As I remember the on ear comfort, the KEF also wins, especially if one wears glasses. As the styling and build of both are so different, I suspect that this will be a matter of individual preference.

I did own the B&W P5 for a (very) short time and these are, IMO, far superior in SQ. Much deeper and more accurate bass and superior depth of soundstage and as I recall, better imaging.

I think KEF has very well nailed that elusive sense of realism.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #655 of 1,358
I have managed to get a deep inserted seal with the M200 using DN-1000 medium translucent grey tips. Brings forward more detail and clarity but can cause sibilance if you fail to get a good seal.

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #656 of 1,358

Hi Ron,

Could you say a few things about how SRH1540 compares to the M500? Obviously one is over the year and the other circumaural, but I would love to hear what you think (I am thinking of getting a pair of SRH1540).

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #657 of 1,358
Hi Ron,

Could you say a few things about how SRH1540 compares to the M500? Obviously one is over the year and the other circumaural, but I would love to hear what you think (I am thinking of getting a pair of SRH1540).

Thanks!

In a nutshell, the M500 has a SQ that is more true-to-life with very good depth and stable spot-on imaging. For those looking for neutrality with bass that accurately renders the lowest recorded frequencies as well as offering superb instrument tonality, my choice is the M500. For bassheads and those who are looking for a more punchy and exciting listening experience and are not overly concerned with neutrality, the 1540 would likely be the better choice. I felt that the bass of the 1540 was overemphasized relative to the mids and highs and found that to be a distraction. I also did not feel the 1540 bass response was very well defined and somewhat boomy.

Both phones are easily driven, both have excellent build quality and both have about the same degree of isolation with a slight edge going to the 1540. For portability, the M500 folds to a more convenient carry package as the 1540 is a pretty good-sized phone. Both fit my head very well and offered similar levels of comfort, however if wearing glasses, the M500 is the hands down winner.

As the design and styling of the two are very different, this will certainly be a matter of personal preference.

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #659 of 1,358
With those clear Ortofon tips these ASG2s sounded more "refined" to me due to better instrument separation/ layering hence a more airy/ 3D sonic presentation when compared to the M200s. The M200s with the stock tips their bass end can be a bit obtrusive to the clarity/ details of the overall sound. That was why i felt that shorter wide bore aftermarket tips sounded better than the stock tip as depicted in the previous pics i have posted, AND that was the reason why i quoted marc0 cuz i think he seems to be hearing these M200s the same way i am hearing them. Despite that we both get a good fit/ seal with the stock M200 tips, he along with myself both felt the need to tip roll/ use other tips in order to get a deeper insertion for better clarity/ details.

I am sure he will fill us in regarding what he thinks. 
popcorn.gif

Ok! So after rolling through a variety of tips with the KEF M200, I still ended up with the Dunu DN-1000 medium stock tips. There are three things that make them work well for me:
  1. Deep insertion despite the "massive" nozzle.
  2. Wide bore opening doesn't restrict the sound.
  3. The propeller-like support on the sleeves of the Dunu tips help in keeping a tight seal.

I agree with Sf that with the wrong kind of tips the bass on the M200 becomes overwhelming to the point where it puts the rest of the frequencies in the back. The bass quality is still really great but I like to hear more intimacy from the mids and air from the treble. Altogether, the right tips will result into a well balanced sound signature from the KEF M200. So my advise is: "keep those tips rolling until you find the RIGHT pair!"

Cheers!

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #660 of 1,358
Just sharing a promo for the m500. Is this the best price for Black Friday?

4. 20% OFF KEF M500 with code RAZORDOG20
www.razordogaudio.com

http://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/kef/products/kef-m500-hi-fi-headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back