Keep my XB500's or trade them for Razer Orca's?
Apr 6, 2011 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Jak007

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm using Sony XB500's (Extra Bass headphones) and I use them mainly for gaming and music.
I like the bass but sometimes I do miss the Highs and the Mids in a rock song.
I'm using an Asus Xoanr DG 5.1 sound card with a built in amp.
So There's this other Headphones(Razer Orca's) at my local store (best buy)and the ''Gaming and Music'' motto got me attracted to it. I read some reviews and they seem actually good in terms of sound quality and comfort, some people even like the sound more than Sennheiser 555.
So my question is Should I return my Xb500s' to get Orcas? Or stick with with Sony's? Thanks.

Oh and also how are the Steelseries Siberia v1 compared to those? They are 10 $ cheaper.

Btw This is my first post :p

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 23

Quote:
Hi, I'm using Sony XB500's (Extra Bass headphones) and I use them mainly for gaming and music.
I like the bass but sometimes I do miss the Highs and the Mids in a rock song.
I'm using an Asus Xoanr DG 5.1 sound card with a built in amp.
So There's this other Headphones(Razer Orca's) at my local store (best buy)and the ''Gaming and Music'' motto got me attracted to it. I read some reviews and they seem actually good in terms of sound quality and comfort, some people even like the sound more than Sennheiser 555.
So my question is Should I return my Xb500s' to get Orcas? Or stick with with Sony's? Thanks.

Oh and also how are the Steelseries Siberia v1 compared to those? They are 10 $ cheaper.

Btw This is my first post :p

rule of thumb is avoid razer at all cost.

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 23
Everyone here is going to tell you to buy the Audio Technica M50, probably. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
Everyone here is going to tell you to buy the Audio Technica M50, probably. 

Hi, Thanks for your helpful reply, just to tell you, M50's arent under 100$ in canada and I'm looking for something under that price range. And it would be great if you could answer my question.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 23
I'm not too familiar with pricing in Canada, but you'd be best suited buying headphones from a company that specializes in headphones; Sennheiser, Grado, Audio Technica, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Shure, etc. Each has many headphones available in every price-range. 

Don't buy headphones made by gaming companies. 

Quote:
Hi, Thanks for your helpful reply, just to tell you, M50's arent under 100$ in canada and I'm looking for something under that price range. And it would be great if you could answer my question.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
I'm not too familiar with pricing in Canada, but you'd be best suited buying headphones from a company that specializes in headphones; Sennheiser, Grado, Audio Technica, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Shure, etc. Each has many headphones available in every price-range. 

Don't buy headphones made by gaming companies. 

So Basically I should keep my XB500's.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 23
Did you try EQ those XB500 since you have a Asus Xonar DG 5.1 which should have a decent EQ. UnEQ'd the mids and highs are a bit masked under the big bass. :p

This would be my suggested EQ setting in that case, AFAIK that soundcard should have a 10 band EQ with the same frequencies as this:

(don't put too much focus on those values themselves it depends on the EQ used what those really would have to be set to)

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 23
Not necessarily. If you don't like them, get something else. Just get something from a company that knows what they're doing in regard to audio. 

Quote:
So Basically I should keep my XB500's.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
What? why?

Its a company that makes mouses. lol

They are nice looking tho. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Its a company that makes mouses. lol

They are nice looking tho. 
biggrin.gif

i dont like green...at all lol i would buy em if they were blue just for the fashion though xD and i say What because on newegg they are 50+ reviews and the "average" is 5 full stars!

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
i dont like green...at all lol i would buy em if they were blue just for the fashion though xD and i say What because on newegg they are 50+ reviews and the "average" is 5 full stars!

You think the average gamer cares much about sound quality? :p All those who are buying these products are those who play CS, CoD, Battlefield or Starcraft all day long.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 23
How much do the Audio Technica AD700 run in canada? They're a start at least. What type of music do you listen to mainly?

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 23
The average gamer knows little to nothing about audio. Even the general hardcore PC enthusiast.

Stay away from gaming companies making audio gear. I've used their headsets. I've used Razer's top of the line headset too (Megalodons) and they're all rubbish. Overpriced and poor quality.

If someone gives something a positive review, it's in relation to what they've heard previously. If all they've heard previously has been poor quality, then it's very easy for them to be impressed. Gamers, generally, have never heard good audio. That's why you see so many recommendations for Turtle Beach headsets, Razer headsets, Logitech headsets etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back