KCS 50's Anyone Happy?
Feb 6, 2004 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

dmcmusic

New Head-Fier
Have done a ton or reading the past couple of months, only to end up back and forth to the stores trying out different gear.

Since I'm in Canada I was limited to the Sens PX100 and the Koss 50's. Great to have those 30 day trials eh?

The sens sounded better than my current gear, iriver buds, Koss Plugs, Takstar Cans. But then I compared them to the Koss 50's.

At first I didn't like the fit of the 50's, like wearing huge earrings and thus the sound while dynamic, the base was not as good as the sens due to the fit. If I slightly push the fronts of the 50's towards my ear, the deep base is there. Fine if I want to wear a ski hat all the time.

Now when I A/B'd them with the senns, I was shocked to find the Koss sounded better, especially with vocals, mids, and highs.

The PX100 had more punchy bass, but the sound was veiled and vocals muffled in comparison to the KOSS 50's.

Question: How is the fit and comfort of the KOSS 35's in comparison to the 50's. At the least the 50's seem to be adjustable but the 35's your stuck with one size fits all clips. The problem with the 50's is they kinda flap outwards like a dogs ears in the wind. Don't know how to make them stay in place without wearing a hat.

That being said it seems I can get this sound with the KSC 35's and still use them for jogging, biking, etc.

I know some people have modded the 50's for comfort, but how do you get these heavy things to stay in place.

I'm also considering the PX200 as I've read the sound is more balanced like the Koss. But really how good does it isolate

Feb 6, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 26
I havent tried the 50's, but its like the 35's were designed for my ears. Once I've got them properly positioned I usually forget I'm wearing headphones after about 1 song.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 26
KSC-35 is basically KSC-50 without all those padding and shell and casing in place. The clip isn't all that great, but they stay on. The clips don't move as much, so they tend to stay on a little "firmer".. (but the clips are sorta flimsy feeling too)...

There's no doubt though, the sound that you get when you hold the KSC-50 with your hand to your ears (probably when it sounds the best) is what KSC-35 sounds like all the time.. They are significantly better.

KSC-50 is like, the worst money I've ever wasted. Of course, I'm not saying that they're not better than PX100, but in comparison, KSC-35 is so much better.

Feb 6, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 26
I have the KSC-50, but unfortunately I've never tried the KSC-35 (when I was looking for headphones the KSC-35 hadn't been re-released by Koss) or the PX100.

I do have a suggestion that I think makes the KSC-50's sound better: take off the foamies. Doing this seems to really open up the highs and mids. In comparison with the foamies on, it sounds as if sounds were recessed. For me, it also made them fit better and they're less noticable now. I've worked out and danced around a bit with them on. Haven't tried running with them though, don't like to run with music.

But, removing the foamies decreased the bass. When I first took them off, I wasn't sure if I liked the sound since I was use to having more bass (before the 50's I had the Sportapro's which were a lot more bass heavy). I got use to the 'lack' of bass, and now if I use the Sportapro's they are far too boomy and everything else seems muffled.

I guess you can try taking the foamies off, and see how you like it. Give it a few days though, to get use to it.

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 26
hey... i'm a newbie with a small head (that's relevant, you'll see in a sec), so my$0.02 may be more like $0.01... but...

i own the ksc-55 (the 'streetstyle' version of the ksc-50)... and i'm very pleased with them. the headband keeps them in place, and pressed more firmly against your ear, so while they're the same cans, essentially, i think the headband actually improves the sound.

i haven't had a chance to compare them to the ksc-35, but i have compared them to the sporta-pros and the ksc-50. i found the sporta-pro bass to be overbearing and boomy. the 55s still have strong bass, but to me it sounds more controlled. the ksc-50s felt like they dangled off my ear... when i held them against my ear, they sounded most like my 55s.

now the small-head thing... i've seen a number of people complain that wearing the ksc-55 is like wearing a vice. i find them exceedingly comfortable... more than any clip-on or earbud i've ever tried. i think it's the first time in my life i've been happy to have a small head.

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 26
I have the KSC50.

I like them a lot more than the porta pro, in any settings. The porta pro is darker and boomy. The KSC50 are very clear sounding for such cheap cans. Comfort and fit is ok for me.

Never heard the ksc35 though.

Feb 6, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 26
Reading this forum can be agonizing at times, I took the plunge and bought the KSC 35's today, I noticed they weigh less than the 50's with the specs on the website, so it should help with the dangling factor.

If I don't like them I will sell them in here in Canada since they're so rare. Then I'll pick up the 50's again for $15 US and a pair of PX200's if they ever get down to $25 again at ecost.

I know the Koss plugs aren't popular, but for workouts they're great for isolation/leakage and the boomy bass when critical listening isn't a factor.

I tried the KSC 55's but that headband bumps into everything when you move your head. The ideal solution would be KSC 35's that could attach to a headband once in while if you get tired of the clips. At least the 35's have the ball joint (like the px 100's) where the 50's do not. The thing is you do have to crank the volume with open phones due to the ambient noise compared to the effiecient 16 Ohm Koss plug.

I do plan to get something else that has isolation and more comfy to wear. The those canal phones make you feel like you have a head cold. There are times that you don't want other people to know what your listening to!

I have a feeling that the PX200's are great for leakage, but minimal for isolation.

Perhaps a new poll should be started for different applications.

1) Active wear -Portable -Jogging, cutting the grass, etc
2) Sitting back in the lazy boy enjoying a few brews
3) Go into my cave and avoid the world, complete isolation. I create a new world with the tunes I choose.

Feb 6, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 26
I can't stand the ksc 50's. So loose, its not funny. The sound is as if I'm listening to the leakage from someone wearing an open-ear phone. So distants its pointless for me.

The PortaPros are, however, simply astounding. I have yet to see a better bang for the buck in ANY headphone - especially when they can be gotten for $35 from koss direct. Insane!

Feb 8, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 26
I'm one of the few who owns both and find myself a huge supporter of KSC-50's.

When I first got the 35's, I thought they were by far the better phones....

...but, today, after having more and more burn-in w/ both pairs, I find the KSC-35's to be way too "bassy" for my taste. The fit and sound of the 50's provides what's important to me: clarity and balance. If one end of the spectrum stands out (like bass does in the 35's), then other sounds get buried. When I A/B the 50's & 35's, there are certain sounds that I only hear in the 50's.

Contrary to what many have said, I have always found the KSC-50's to be very comfortable; I run with them all the time (never a problem). I also LOVE the short cord, it's the perfect length for my iPod. I find the long cord of the 35's to be very annoying.

I would like to someday try the KSC-55's, and A/B them to the 50's...

Of course, it all comes down to what YOU like. There is no right or wrong answer....everyone is different, and it's all about what sounds best to YOU.

When I'm at home, I love my B&W's...when it's time to go portable, it's KSC-50 time!

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

is no right or wrong answer....

Yes there is. and you are WRONG.

J/k
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 26
I had the KSC-50s but I didn't like the loose fit. I have small ears, so if I tilted my head a certain way, they'd almost slide off. They sounded nice, but I couldn't stand the ergonomics. I let them sit for a few months until I got bored and took apart my cheap Sony headphones which came with my PCDP. I removed the headband (over the head traditional style) from the drivers. Then I took the KSC-50 drivers apart and glued them into the Sony headband. Voila! New headphones which were $10 and have a better sound. They rest firmly against my ears, unlike the KSC-55 which have some separation. I haven't heard the PortaPros which cost three times as much as my "invention." I'm probably not the only one to take apart their KSC-50s. I like my new version a lot better than the 50 or 55.

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 26
I have both, and I like both. Yes, the KSC-35s are more comfortable. Yes, the '35s look much less stupid dangling from one's years. Yes, maybe the '35s sound a little bit better. But in the overall scheme of things, the '50s are darn good little earphones.

Feb 8, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by VicAjax
hey... i'm a newbie with a small head (that's relevant, you'll see in a sec), so my$0.02 may be more like $0.01... but...

i own the ksc-55 (the 'streetstyle' version of the ksc-50)... and i'm very pleased with them. the headband keeps them in place, and pressed more firmly against your ear, so while they're the same cans, essentially, i think the headband actually improves the sound.

i haven't had a chance to compare them to the ksc-35, but i have compared them to the sporta-pros and the ksc-50. i found the sporta-pro bass to be overbearing and boomy. the 55s still have strong bass, but to me it sounds more controlled. the ksc-50s felt like they dangled off my ear... when i held them against my ear, they sounded most like my 55s.

now the small-head thing... i've seen a number of people complain that wearing the ksc-55 is like wearing a vice. i find them exceedingly comfortable... more than any clip-on or earbud i've ever tried. i think it's the first time in my life i've been happy to have a small head.

an update to this... after 3 months of daily usage of my ksc 55, i'm getting a buzz/rattle in the right ear on deep bass (and some impactful mid bass).
frown.gif

looks like i'll be trying out that lifetime warranty (or maybe just shelling out for new cans). anybody have experience with koss' service (how long... how friendly, etc?).. sorry, don't mean to hijack thread... thought you may be interested in this too.

Feb 8, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by VicAjax
an update to this... after 3 months of daily usage of my ksc 55, i'm getting a buzz/rattle in the right ear on deep bass (and some impactful mid bass).
frown.gif

Yeah, unfortunately, this happens after several months of daily use. Here's the solution: buy a new pair! You can get them for less than $15. I'm currently on my 2nd pair in a year. That's the downfall of the KSC-50's...they will wear out in time. However, the cheap price certainly makes up for it.

Feb 8, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. X
That's the downfall of the KSC-50's...they will wear out in time. However, the cheap price certainly makes up for it.

Wow...so I'm not going crazy. My KSC-50s are declining....NO!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back