KCS 50's Anyone Happy?
Feb 9, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #16 of 26
Ya I know what you guys mean with the 50's having a little more balance. THere are a couple of songs that have deep base (like Eagles live hotel california) that have a real thump, and the base can only be felt if you tilt the 50's towards your ear a couple of mm, not press hard against your ear mind you. (This way they have the same kind of sound as the px100's) But in this mode they can be too boomy for the rest of the songs, so letting them hang gives you a nice balance of sound.
I think it's worth modding the 50's to a regular headband somehow so that it fits like a px100. But make it easily removeable it you want to just use the clips. Possibly cut a hole throught the dome casing maybe?

I look forward to pics if you guys come up with something.

Feb 15, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #17 of 26
Just today I was thinking that out of all of my headphones (Senn HD580, Ety ER4S, Senn PX200, Senn MX500) the Koss KSC-50's are probably my favourites at their price point. Great balanced sound, full bass, clear highs, good mid range, no bloat. Only thing is due to my ear physiology I get this folded-over ear Yoda look with em on, so I don't wear em out of the house! Sonically great phones though! I just bought some of the lighter KSC-35 from Koss.com, so hopefully these will be less dorky. If so, they will become my biz travel headphone along with my superb Ety's (indispensable for planes).

Feb 16, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #18 of 26
I have both KSC 50's and 35's. The 50's are OK if you can get them to fit well. The ear clips can be bent slightly. Most feel the 35's fit better, and they are lighter as well. With a good fit, the sound is similar except for more bass in the 35's. Having wasted more $$ on cheap cans than I care to admit, both these models are fine choices in the under $40US category.
BTW- 35's are available from the Koss website.

Jon

Feb 16, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #19 of 26
I like the KSC-35's over the KSC-50's mainly because like Lindrone said, if you push the 50's up against your ears, that's what the 35's sound like all the time. Plus the 35's are much lighter, although they are flimsy and stuff, they still fantastic.

Feb 17, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #20 of 26
i think it should be pointed out that the ksc35's have the same drivers as the portapros, while the ksc50's have inferior drivers.

the sound of the ksc35 should be much better, unless you don't like the bassiness of the headphone.
i think they're great. for the size and weight, the bass and midrange is awesome.

i think MacDEF posted a little disection of the ksc35 and 50's on headfi somewhere.

Feb 17, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #21 of 26
Ya , and in that dissection it is shown that the 50's are the same drivers that are in the 35's. Also verified by customer service at Koss, I asked why the 35's were more money, they claim the plastic clips are more expensive make than the rubbermaid ones on the 50's

Sonically the 50's are good headphones, and on some people they fit well (and prefer that fit better than the 35's), just not most. I found their sound more balanced that the PX100's. I returned the 50's and PX100 once I got the 35's last week. I am a very happy camper with the 35's, they are lighter(by 300 grams), less bulky, fit better, and definately much more comfortable to wear. Sound is like the 50;s when they sound their best (ie the right position)

Yes they leak sound, but I consider them safety headphones as a result. Waiting for those PX200's to sell for $25 again somewhere so I can replace my Koss Plugs for isolation gear.

If my 35's ever die, I'd pick up those 50's in a hearbeat ($15 in some places, half price of the 35's) and attach them to a headband.

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #22 of 26
I own both the PX100's and the KSC-50's, and I agree completely with dmcmusic's assessement. I don't get why HeadRoom raves about the PX100's. They're comfortable, but the KSC-50's blow them away in terms of sound. I can't even say the PX100's are good-sounding headphones, given their severe tonal imbalance.

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #23 of 26
Well, I keep going back and forth here...

The KSC-50's may have a little more balance, but they're SLIGHTLY tinny compared to the 35's. The 35's are just a better fit, and I think that's why they provide me with a "warmer" sound.

Either way, both the 50's and 35's are AMAZING matches for the iPod. It's as if they were meant for each other!

Although the 35's are more comfortable, I find the 50's to be more comfortable while working out, as the more "airy" fit cuts down on the sweat and hot ears. I've been using them for running for so long that I'm very used to them and never think about them the entire workout.

I just bought a new pair of 50's (since my old pair died), and I'm sticking w/ my original formula: 50's for the gym, 35's for everything else (true portable-fi listening).

I also agree: My PX200's are total garbage compare to either Koss pair. I ONLY use them when I need isolation (mowing the lawn, etc.). I HATE sticking anything in my ear, and refuse to use plugs, buds, etc....so, the PX200's are my only option for this purpose.

I can't think of any audio equipment (cans, stereo components, etc.) that offer a price that gives you as much of a deal and bang for your buck like these two portable pairs from Koss. They truly are a steal. It would be a crime to own an iPod and not a pair of KSC-35's or 50's....

End of line.

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #24 of 26
i've owned a couple pairs of 50s (cheap, easy to find, better than other cheap **** out there), and i have experienced the same rattling problems with deep bass. there is (in my experience) an easy fix.

First, look at the foam earpad and see if any human hairs are stuck in it. if so, pull them out. if this doesn't work, take off the foam earpad and inspect both the headphone body and the foam earpad for hairs. pull all offending hairs off and replace earpad.

if this doesn't work, i can't help you out.

btw... does anyone have problems with the clip thingy breaking off? this has happened to me twice and i'm definately not going to buy another pair of 50s for this reason.

Feb 18, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
i removed the earpads entirely on my ksc35 and i like the overall comfort and sound.
plus it's easier to get the "hair in driver" rattle sound out. just lightly blow into them.

I completely agree with you
I removed completely ksc35 pads and imo the sound is the best you can achieve with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back