KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Dec 4, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #706 of 2,441
Sorry it took me a few days. My initial impressions of the Believes below. Please pardon my inexperienced descriptions of the sound, got into the hobby around July and I am still learning the lingo.

So, after listening to the Be-lieves for a couple of days, what comes to mind immediately is detail and clarity. I feel like these are quite a detailed set, especially in the mids and the highs. Even at lower listening levels, the detail still pops out. I have seen some frequency response graphs on the Believe, and I think they sound a little different than what some graphs suggest. I don't feel like it is that big on the bass, and I don't feel like it is really much of a v-shape. The mids are superb, and vocals shine. The highs are extremely detailed and clear. I don't have any audio gear to run them off besides the Qudelix-5k, the usb-c apple dongle, and my phone, the A8 (still has an audio jack), and I feel like the Believes do sound a little better off the Qudelix-5k; not that it sounds bad on the other sources, I feel like the bass gets a little tighter, maybe a tad more separation and detail? I have no problems with getting enough volume, although I don't really listen to music at that loud of a volume, but time spent listening is pretty high.

Although sometimes I hear a wrinkling sound on the left side, maybe it was flex or something due to the pressure? After a long listening session today, I lost volume on the left side for a bit, and when it came back, I lost volume on the right for a bit. Side effects of driver flex? Hasn't happened again, and now I am more cognizant of too much pressure building up. Any ways to try and alleviate this? I noticed on @kmmbd's review of the Diamond (same/similar shell if I'm not mistaken) driver flex is also mentioned. Perhaps it was due to tip choice, as there is a vent on the rear of the nozzle itself, near the shell, and the long "skirt" of the Final E tips had an affect? Went back to the Radius Deep Mount tips (wider bore like the stock tips) and haven't had any more issues.

However, I am still extremely pleased with the Believes, all things considering as I bought them blind on 11/11. In my eyes, simply great value for the sound quality; I paid around $160 maple (Canadian) dollars for my set, and I couldn't be happier.

Haha, I've worn these for most of the day, I think my ears need a rest.
I think you should utilize the equalizer on Quedelix 5K to suit your sonic preference .Also play around with the filters.

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #707 of 2,441
If there was magic I would magic a Starlight, but I wouldn't give up my 'Believe's', not that I am into 'beliefs'....empirical experience for me thank you. I'm not a graphs and theories man, I'm a breath through the nose and experience the breath person. Although give me a birth chart because symbols are alive with meaning.
I've been sitting listening to this KBear Believe and the Shuoer Tape Pro (for a bit longer) and it's clear IEM's have made great strides forwards in recent months. Listening to music through those IEM's is a GOOD experience. Love em 😍

:sunglasses:Thanks!

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #708 of 2,441
Sorry it took me a few days. My initial impressions of the Believes below. Please pardon my inexperienced descriptions of the sound, got into the hobby around July and I am still learning the lingo.

So, after listening to the Be-lieves for a couple of days, what comes to mind immediately is detail and clarity. I feel like these are quite a detailed set, especially in the mids and the highs. Even at lower listening levels, the detail still pops out. I have seen some frequency response graphs on the Believe, and I think they sound a little different than what some graphs suggest. I don't feel like it is that big on the bass, and I don't feel like it is really much of a v-shape. The mids are superb, and vocals shine. The highs are extremely detailed and clear. I don't have any audio gear to run them off besides the Qudelix-5k, the usb-c apple dongle, and my phone, the A8 (still has an audio jack), and I feel like the Believes do sound a little better off the Qudelix-5k; not that it sounds bad on the other sources, I feel like the bass gets a little tighter, maybe a tad more separation and detail? I have no problems with getting enough volume, although I don't really listen to music at that loud of a volume, but time spent listening is pretty high.

Although sometimes I hear a wrinkling sound on the left side, maybe it was flex or something due to the pressure? After a long listening session today, I lost volume on the left side for a bit, and when it came back, I lost volume on the right for a bit. Side effects of driver flex? Hasn't happened again, and now I am more cognizant of too much pressure building up. Any ways to try and alleviate this? I noticed on @kmmbd's review of the Diamond (same/similar shell if I'm not mistaken) driver flex is also mentioned. Perhaps it was due to tip choice, as there is a vent on the rear of the nozzle itself, near the shell, and the long "skirt" of the Final E tips had an affect? Went back to the Radius Deep Mount tips (wider bore like the stock tips) and haven't had any more issues.

However, I am still extremely pleased with the Believes, all things considering as I bought them blind on 11/11. In my eyes, simply great value for the sound quality; I paid around $160 maple (Canadian) dollars for my set, and I couldn't be happier.

Haha, I've worn these for most of the day, I think my ears need a rest.

:sunglasses:Thank you!

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #711 of 2,441
Sorry, friend, I am confused by your question! :joy: What do you mean "burn in the Starlight during the 10 days customwait"?
Not a problem, I already have the answer👌

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #712 of 2,441
@Slater just checking since you and a few other esteemed members do DIY stuff, is handling and disassembling of beryllium drivers toxic, like what BGGAR did? I wonder if you have made a DIY beryllium product before even!

Anyways, I found some Focal Utopia warning leaflet online here. Ya in solid form with normal usages it should be safe, but when cutting or damaging the driver, not sure if any beryllium microparticles or aerosols will be released.

I would say short term handling a few times in your life like he did would be perfectly fine.

But since I do build and mod gear with beryllium drivers, I am in contact with them more. So I do personally wear gloves and a mask when handling beryllium.

Although I am being overly cautious myself; realistically I’m probably low risk as well. But better safe than sorry. Especially when the building/modding process also includes soldering with toxic lead fumes, using glue and resins, grinding and polishing, etc.

The people who are at a much greater risk are the factory workers who work tirelessly all day every day to make the diaphragms, assemble the headphones, solder everything, etc. We really owe them respect and gratitude, because they are who enable us to enjoy all this wonderful audio gear :)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #713 of 2,441
I would say short term handling a few times in your life like he did would be perfectly fine.

But since I do build and mod gear with beryllium drivers, I am in contact with them more. So I do personally wear gloves and a mask when handling beryllium.

Although I am being overly cautious myself; realistically I’m probably low risk as well. But better safe than sorry. Especially when the building/modding process also includes soldering with toxic lead fumes, using glue and resins, grinding and polishing, etc.

The people who are at a much greater risk are the factory workers who work tirelessly all day every day to make the diaphragms, assemble the headphones, solder everything, etc. We really owe them respect and gratitude, because they are who enable us to enjoy all this wonderful audio gear :)
👍🙏🥰

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #714 of 2,441

Are the material of BE and constrution of diaphragm not ensembled in Japan? I believed Japan have very strict regulation on safety issues regarding handling of BE.

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #716 of 2,441
Are the material of BE and constrution of diaphragm not ensembled in Japan? I believed Japan have very strict regulation on safety issues regarding handling of BE.

No clue. I’m sure whatever company manufacturers them takes the necessary precautions.

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #717 of 2,441
No clue. I’m sure whatever company manufacturers them takes the necessary precautions.

from my understandings, the beryllium dust is toxic, as a metal, it's just like any other metal.

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #718 of 2,441
Extract from product description on Amazon:

Technical Parameters
Model: KBEAR Believe
Unit: pure beryllium diaphragm dynamic driver (imported from Japan)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back