Kaosun's Vintage CD Player Service Bulletin
Sep 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #32 of 213
There are many reasons can lead AZ6808/19/29 defective.
Trying repair it without expertise will make it worse.
Find an expert to fix it for you is the best choice.
The three models of PHILIPS are using same 3-beam RCD3 laser head, the players will be sentenced death since no head avaliable for replacement.
Compare to AZ6819, 6829 lacks of FM stereo transfer kit and antenna, others are totally same.
Both 6819/29 use 1-bit DAC which is built inside of the DSP-SAA7341 (1991), cannot compete with AD1868. However, in daily life it's impressive if you listen AZ6819/29 with an earphone like Sennheiser Mx500, it will bring you a huge wide sound field and fabulous bass when turn on the DBB.

CDM0 and 1 are mostly used in table cd players, very very old. I suggest you never touch them for I cannot fix them for you.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #33 of 213
In vintage PCDPs, i prefer PCM55 which is used in SONY D10 D50MKII, Techinics XP7, PHILIPS CD10MKII.
PCM67 66 60 are also better than the UPS6376 which widely used in D303 35, Panasonic 505.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #34 of 213
Hello, greetings from Tucson AZ, USA,

I wanted to know any information about the Citizen model CBM 1000. The volume pot is acting up as well... Wanted to know what was inside, if there are any Burr-Brown output amps, what DAC, and any useful information. I cannot open this metal cased player to see inside or diagnose. No wonder since they made some nice watches too...

Thanks,

Vern Art S

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #35 of 213
CBM1000
RF amp: CXA1081
Servo amp: CXA1082
DSP: CXA1125/1135
CPU: HD????? (forgotten)
DAC: NEC UPD6376
AUDIO amps: NJM4558
Optical head: SONY KSS220

Its design of membrane control panel nice but not durable. Its switching step-down power supply often get problems.
This problem will cause over heating and melt the membrane comes from the control panel which is connected to the main board.
Melting will cause no display, lacking segments, and key-pressing no responses.

D6376? No. NJM4558? No.

I think Citizen is a good maker of watches, not for PCDPs.

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #36 of 213

Quote:
The motor of D15 is totally different from that of D9. D15 motor is much thinner than D9 motor although their spindles have same diameter.
Based on my experience, the D15 motor rarely got problem, among 200 D15/25 I've ever repaired, only 1 got little problem and later was fixed.
So I doubt whether you have a correct judgement.

Thanks for the info!  I figured they were different, but thought I'd ask before taking them apart.  If it isn't the motor that is bad, then it must be something that is beyond my diagnosing or fixing.  Guess it remains a paperweight.  Makes me sad, as it was my first portable CD player.
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #37 of 213

Quote:
Thanks for the info!  I figured they were different, but thought I'd ask before taking them apart.  If it isn't the motor that is bad, then it must be something that is beyond my diagnosing or fixing.  Guess it remains a paperweight.  Makes me sad, as it was my first portable CD player.
frown.gif

MY BAD!!  My memory was faulty.  I just plugged in the D-15.  The display lights up, the disc spins for a few seconds, then the player shuts off.  The laser head moves up and down, but the laser assembly/sled doesn't move back and forth.  Could THAT motor be bad?

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #38 of 213
I hope you didnt damage your spindle motor. For now it's difficult to find one for replacement.
At the same time, I threw away lots of garbage, including your motor which had never been used in my history.
There're 2 possibilities about your reading error.
50% possibility, the optical head died. The original model is KSS167, can be replaced by KSS221.
50% possibility, the socket of the optical head FPC(flexible print circult) contains a bad contact issue. Or the socket has a cold-joint.
Best solution is re-solder the pins of the socket, ckeck and clear the oxide on the FPC and inside of the socket.
If it doesnt work, try to replace the KSS167 then conduct a thoroughly adjustment of 5-parameter about reading ability.

Any other issues, just feel free to ask.

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #39 of 213

Quote:
I hope you didnt damage your spindle motor. For now it's difficult to find one for replacement.
At the same time, I threw away lots of garbage, including your motor which had never been used in my history.
There're 2 possibilities about your reading error.
50% possibility, the optical head died. The original model is KSS167, can be replaced by KSS221.
50% possibility, the socket of the optical head FPC(flexible print circult) contains a bad contact issue. Or the socket has a cold-joint.
Best solution is re-solder the pins of the socket, ckeck and clear the oxide on the FPC and inside of the socket.
If it doesnt work, try to replace the KSS167 then conduct a thoroughly adjustment of 5-parameter about reading ability.

Any other issues, just feel free to ask.

Thanks!  The spindle motor is fine.  The laser head is also putting out a beam of light.  I'll have to check the contacts on the FPC (would using De-oxit help?), and the solder joints on the socket.  Thanks again for the help.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #41 of 213
Hi kaosun. I have a Sony D-4 cd player. I try to use it every now and then to keep it working for old times sake. I can't use it regularly because the darn thing is so finicky with cds...if it can't read something it hangs and eventually gives up and turns itself off. My portable 1999 Panasonic doesn't have this issue...guessing cd players got a lot better in 11 years time! :wink: One reason I go back to it as well is because it has a line-out which works better for amps than a headphone jack at max volume. Its cool that you know alot about this stuff.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #42 of 213
D4 is a entry-level vintage PCDP. It contains everything a vintage player should have, including KSS220 head, CXA1271+CXA1272+CXD1135+CXP8024+MPC1715 chipsets.
It's a good player if well maintained. Your symptom seems like a bit aging of the laser head. Readjustment of the laser power and reading discs 5-parameter of the main board will bring it normal.
Also, you should lubricate and check the gear reduction unit used to drive the laser head, for 4th gear break a few teeth frequently happens.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #43 of 213
Hi Kaosun! I have several vintage PCDPs, including a barely working Sony D-555, a D-303, a D-25, and a perfect D-9 (I wish it were a D-99!) Also a very slim Technics which I haven't seen anywhere else. I'm not very knowledgable about fixing these but I got a book and am learning. My question to you is: do you know of a resource for original or compatible parts? For example, the spindle motor for the D-555 has the infamous problem causing the player to skip badly. I could sacrifice the D-9 since it uses the same assembly but I don't want to do that. There must be equivalent new parts somewhere, maybe China, but I don't know where to look. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #44 of 213
I have almost all spare parts you need except the LCDs and the notorious 2nd gear. 
D555 should replace its spindle motor; however, it's a bit diffcult to replace if you'd like to try.
At he same time, the optical head and the reading ability 5-parameter should be inspected and readjusted.
It's unnecessary to disassemble D9 to get the spindle, brand new motors will be avaliable soon later.
I'm happy more people are interested in PCDPs, if any questions, let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back