Kaosun's Vintage CD Player Service Bulletin
Mar 2, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #200 of 213
80 55 r7 uses a huge lead acid battery, doesn't support AA,
77 has a slim lead acid battery built inside of the player.
81 90 92 are the players supporting AA batteries.

Hmm...
While I wasn't able to find any significant information about either from those, I came across these photos:

I can't figure out what is this battery case. Whether it's part of DPC-R7 production or custom made etc.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #203 of 213
Hello everybody, greetings from Brazil, this is my first message here.

I'm trying to fix my first CD player made in 1991. It's not portable and not on the topic's list (it's a Gradiente CDP-1000, Brazilian brand) but it's based on Sony design. The main chips are all Sony (CXA1081M, CXA1082BQ, CXD1130, M50930) as well as the optical unit (KSS-210A). In fact the circuit is very similar to the Sony CDP-110, also uses the same ICs for drivers and power regulator.

It was more or less working (playing but sometimes skipping), then after some time in storage it didn't work anymore. The disc was not spinning. After some cleaning and tweaks with the calibration pots (not the laser power at the unit) it at least "tried" to start, but not reading TOC. 

After research I decided to replace the optical unit. With the new unit the disc spins immediately, but backwards! I've researched a lot for the causes of this behaviour and could not find my problem. That's how I found this topic.

It spins backwards right from the start, does not reverse rotation.

There is also another strange behaviour (to my eyes), there is some kind of high frequency "noise" or ripple, very stable, on all the signals (+- 5V, RF eye pattern). It seems to be related to the clock generator. It reaches up to 0.1V p-p and appears at the 1us range at the scope. Is this normal? By disconnecting the power source from the circuit (removing jumpers on the board) the power source alone doesn't show this ripple.

I've already replaced most of the electrolytic caps and the motor driver IC and checked most of the solder on the board.

I need to know if the problem could be (only) the optical unit, in this case I can replace for another, of if it may be something more serious or "unfixable".

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #204 of 213
Hi Kaosun,
I have a Sony D-311 many years, but some months ago it suddenly "freeze" and I couldn't do anything to it anymore. I think there was a problem with the main circuit, because whenever I plugged the remote control, all the digits were flashing, and the cd player was totally unresponsive.
Long story short, I bought a non laser working D311, and transferred my laser head to it, thus finally having again a nice working cd player again.
The problem, is that a few weeks later, suddenly this cd player started playing music only on the Left side, and very very low output on the Right side, but the music can still be heard, just much lower. My question is, is this a problem on the board? Do you think I should clean something? or this could be caused of bad laser pot trimming?
Thank you!

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #205 of 213
IMG_20161212_012835065.jpg

Got this beauty for myself:blush:
Out of curiosity opened it up to take a little peek at the guts. Strangely, since this thing is a clone of D-50 I expected to find there CX20133 as a D/A chip but there is none.
Does anybody have any clue what d/a converter is installed in CP10?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #207 of 213
Discmans.JPG
Loewe CD100 and Sanyo CP-10 look like a clone of famous Sony D-50, but they are Not!
Loewe is a clone of Funai CDP-7600 and Tensai TPD-10, by parts composition they are similar to Toshiba Discmans.
Sanyo is a clone of Grundig CDP50 and Siemens RW721.
You can check which laser mechanisms, DACs, servos and h/p amps were used in their construction here:
PCDP Components.

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #208 of 213
Hi,

Just received a Technics SL-XP1, line-out is great and exceeds my expectations, but the headphone output is distorted. I assume replacing the caps will correct the issue, but I would like confirmation.

Also, does anyone know which ones need to be replaced, as I don't have a service manual for this model. Does anyone have one?

May 24, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #209 of 213
Dear kaosun,
I am a new member, lucky enough to have bought a used D-50 discman in pristine condition complete with box and original recipt.
The device had not been used for a while because the original power supply was faulty.
When I connect it to a 9V power supply the device turns on even without switching ON, the display reads track 00 and the disc starts spinning. After a couple seconds the disc stops and the display switches off.
I have the secret hope that the sled motor is stuck because its grease has dried up and this causes the device to power off. (Also the spinning motor wasn't working before putting some sewer oil on it from above).
I just wanted to ask for your opinion, because before desoldering the board I wanted to be sure of my (i hope not too laughable) theory.
Thank you very much

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back