Kanen KM 92 Review (Budget woody IEM)
Mar 13, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do believe that I will be grabbing the sentry woodies and these kanens. Better be worth it >=(

I'd advise getting the Sentry "Metalix" instead. Out of the box the mids were too forward and shrill and they had very little bass but with some burn in they are sounding MUCH better. I preffered the "Wooden's" out of the box but with some time on them the Metalix are clearly superior.
The mids and highs are now nicely laid back and tame and the bass has developed a bit more.

The Wooden's do have more bass and body but the bass is somewhat bloated and uncontrolled. I thought it might tighten up with some burn in time but so far no dice.

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #17 of 39
btw.gif
Unless one of these companies decided to clone the other's already budget and not-so-popular phones then the Sentry Wooden’s ARE the Kanen KM92's, period. Except for the mesh screen on the Sentry's they are dead ringers. From the cut of the wood body to the metal vent disc on the back to the angles and shape of the nozzles these are the same phones.

May 25, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #18 of 39
Just got 2 pair at BigLots... Thank You Mom! What's not to like for $5?

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #21 of 39
I have been using these for 2 months.

I am agreeing that they are better than EP-630.

In my opinion they also beat my Ai-M6's in many ways (except the highs and positioning of instruments). I also have a Denon C-710. But strangely I am picking my KM-92 more oftenly. They are like little wooden speakers in your ear. Colored and warm sound. But I really like them!

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #22 of 39
I agreed that the said km92 is really in good quality compared to it's price. 
But I've also bought another one which is in overhead style.  it costs me for only USD18 including s/h.  
That's KM-870. http://www.jntworld.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=688&currency=USD

And they seems have the most complete kanen's collection for checking.
Just wonder if ip309 is good enough or not as they claimed that it fits iphone4.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #23 of 39
I really can't believe my ears 
etysmile.gif

After getting Vsonic GR-07 and understood its sound (after burn-in), I am comparing GR-07 (170 USD iem) against KM-92 (4.5 USD iem) after changing my sound settings (completely on the opposite side for each iem). I can say that my KM-92 stands very well against GR-07 in many ways to my ears!

Especially bass and soundstage is great on KM-92 (to my ears slightly better). Only positioning of instruments are not so well on KM-92 but it gives you great, out of head sound! Compared to KM-92, GR-07 excels on positioning of instruments, highs and mid bass. For clarity and quality of highs each iem is comparably close for my ears. Hey what's wrong with these Kanen's?
biggrin.gif

If something are not wrong with either my GR-07 or KM-92, then something is wrong with my hearing ability
beyersmile.png
  (as you can see on my sig).

I am using the same eq setting but changing the bass and treble settings for each iem on my Rockboxed Fuze V2.

Settings as follows: For GR-07:   bass:8;  treble: 0

For KM-92:   bass:0;  treble: 13

I believe that my KM-92 is from an excellent batch. Because I have also compared it with my Denon AH-C710 (I prefer KM-92 mostly), and I also compared my C-710 with my GR-07  -in the end I am selling C710-  this means something is wrong with these 4.5 USD (including shipping from China to Turkey) iems
etysmile.gif

Incredible value, bravo Kanen!

I am going to order another set just for comparison.

PS: I have also ordered Kanen KM-903 because of curiosity to this brand. But KM-903 is the worst of all earphones I have ever heard!

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #24 of 39

Quote:
I agreed that the said km92 is really in good quality compared to it's price. 
But I've also bought another one which is in overhead style.  it costs me for only USD18 including s/h.  
That's KM-870. http://www.jntworld.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=688&currency=USD

And they seems have the most complete kanen's collection for checking.
Just wonder if ip309 is good enough or not as they claimed that it fits iphone4.

Hi johnng2453

Please tell me something about the sound quality of KM870.
Sound signature, sound stage...
Thanks!

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #25 of 39
Hi Garcsa,
Yes,sure. 
Very balance  treble/ bass output. 
Sounds clear, no edge.
But a little bit worse about surrounding noise isolation compared to KM880 
tongue_smile.gif

Of course,they both in quite large price difference. 

To me, quite ok building quality.  

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #27 of 39
Has anyone taken these fully apart? I'd love to see some internal pics/measurements/etc as these look like pretty good cases for a custom IEM - driver swap, recable, sort out the nozzle foam, perhaps try and remove the boominess - one of the reviews on DX says that if you cover the 7 holes in the metal end cap the boominess goes away

got a couple of pairs of nice, but very broken IEMs i'd like to see if i can swap the drivers from into a pair of these

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #28 of 39
I couldn't get a good enough of a seal even with triple flange tips (like Etymotic). Getting a good seal with IEM's is individual because each person has a unique ears. In a quiet listening environment they sound much better than they supposed to with that price tag so the seal thing shouldn't stand in your way. Maybe they will fit your ears perfectly.

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #29 of 39
I really like these Kanens - best $5 I've ever spent on something that wasn't beer. They aren't detailed and sound textures don't come through very well on them, but they offer a big pleasing low-resolution sound for uncritical music listening while exercising. The deep bass also lends a nice rich quality to podcasts and books on tape, and also makes them fun for movies and video games. I use mine for running and they've been pretty durable for a cheapo IEM - they lasted a little over a year of heavy daily use before my sweat finally made them fall apart in my ear and they developed a short.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:
I really like these Kanens - best $5 I've ever spent on something that wasn't beer. They aren't detailed and sound textures don't come through very well on them, but they offer a big pleasing low-resolution sound for uncritical music listening while exercising. The deep bass also lends a nice rich quality to podcasts and books on tape, and also makes them fun for movies and video games. I use mine for running and they've been pretty durable for a cheapo IEM - they lasted a little over a year of heavy daily use before my sweat finally made them fall apart in my ear and they developed a short.

Few sentence that worth a novel. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back