K712 vs. he-500
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

deadspider187

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone own both of these and can compare the two?  I'm really not sure which direction I would like to go (I know they are polar opposites in a lot of ways), and would love to have a comparison.

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 5
  You can read my full review regarding the AKG K712 Pro here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/9482

Thanks for the review.  Interesting, they seem more similar than I would have expected.  I guess the next question is, are the he-500's worth another ~$250 over the k712's, or should I get the k712's and save up for the next tier later on down the line, when my other components are much better?

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 5
To me the HE-500 are not worth the extra cost.  The main benefits are a more even sound from bass to midrange.  I found this when listening to pink noise and not as much during listening sessions.  The HE-500 can have more bass body, but it is not significant enough to justify the cost in my mind.  I do not like HE-500 and recommend them if the budget permits.

The AKG K712 Pro lends itself amazingly to Jazz, Acoustic, and World.  I think it falls a bit short on very busy sounding rock tracks.  This is where the HE-500 might sound a bit more pleasant.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 5
@OP

if you're going with the k712pro then I can't emphasize more to use a tube amp with russian tubes. 

the K712pro is like a Ferrari or Lamborghini, it needs high octane fuel to truly shine.   I'm saying this from experience. 

my LIttle Bear P8 with russian tubes blew away my former Schiit Vali with sub-miniature tubes.  Also, remember high quality interconnects makes a huge difference.  I replaced my former Kimber Kable PJ's with Ortofon Silver and the difference in music detail and air was substantial.   Now!  I'm not talking about spending $500 on cables but at least in the $60's range.  Do not buy those fake silver cables sold for cheap on Ebay imported from China.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back