K702's Review, with a bunch of cheapish amps.
Apr 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

LugBug1

Headphoneus Supremus
Been away from head-fi for 6 months changing nappies and sleepless nights etc... So it's nice to be back and with a new purchase. Not sure how many hours are on my K702's as I bought them 2nd hand but the pads look as if they've never been worn. So early impressions as I've only had a couple of days to play with them.

This review is aimed at setting a few records straight for these stigma attached phones, these so called painful anemic implements of torture! ok I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean. I've been very content with my 650's and RS1i's but have always wanted to try these.

My equipment is all budget to midfi , so no high-end or out of reach sources here. Also I'm based in the uk so these are the dacs and amps that are nearly always readily available:

V dac (mark 1)
dac-ah lite unmodded
Neco soundlab mosfet dual mono (latest version)
Creek OBH21 SE
Little Dot mk1+ hybrid
X can V3

First impressions:
Just a very quick note on comfort. They're comfortable enough, they are bigger than I thought they would be and designed to be gripped in place on your head at all times- the head band is always gonna be resting on the top of your head. You know that you are wearing headphones and these won't let you forget it. I'm bald and the headband is not very baldy friendly.. but its not that bad and you soon get used to it. I've owned more comfortable phones but SQ is always at the forefront for me even if it means that I'm in pain. If comfort is a massive issue with you, you may want to try before you buy.
The first set up I plug these into is the good old LDI+ with Vdac. Loads of current for low impedance phones and a very musical dac. I'm a Jazz/classical man so natural timbres and space between instruments are important for me. I've already prepared myself for a huge soundstage, sharp treble, not much bass, loads of detail but with not much punch. I slip some contemporary Jazz on.
Wow! how wrong was I! The first thing that hit me straight away is the bass, it's deep and impactful, powerful sounding. The soundstage isn't really THAT big, maybe a fraction wider than my 650's but no more up or below. The sound is more forward than I was expecting. I have read many times that the soundstage can sound unnaturally big and stretched... this is so not true for me. It's a nice size, a realistic size. The midrange is not recessed or any more forward than the other frequencies. There is lots of detail here, perhaps grainy detail or maybe these are details that I've not heard before. The treble extends nicely, but not too much. Much more smooth than I had expected. Certainly not any brighter than my Grado's.
The overall impression I'm getting is very engaging and exciting. Good timbre of bass strings and bass drum thumps, plickety plick of the strings. Sax is grainy and bright and that is how a sax should sound. Acoustic guitar sounds amazing, very real.

Second impression:
Ok, here is where the bad reviews make more sense to me. I plug them into a more normal amplifier, that is with impedance 32-600 and no gain change. The X can V3 is a great amp for the 650's and ok with my RS1's but only ok.
The K702's sound like a different headphone altogether... gone is the deep impactful bass.. gone is the forward exciting timbres... the soundstage is distant and the sound is very lightweight. It's as if someone has filled the room with dry ice and I can't feel the band anymore. They're not there... they in the street outside now, not in my room anymore.
Lesson learned. These phones need current and lots of it.
I now change the dac to the dac-ah lite, I love this dac for my Grado's as it has a big warm bottom end and is very musical, though not the most refined of budget dacs but perfect to calm the grado's without losing the grit. I also try out my Creek 21se amp, a simple nice sounding amp that is good for lower impedance phones. The treble is slightly more prominent now, not annoyingly so but hotter and sharper. Details in the uppermids are really coming through, a Haydon violin concerto sounds very good, the violin has got just the right amount of texture and speed and the oo-mph of the cello's from the small ensemble is coming through very nicely. Very nice balance.
I listen to a few of my favorite recordings and now feel that the bass is a little too much. Yes you heard! the bass is too much on the K702's. I switch back to the more balanced Vdac and I'm happier.

Third impression:
One more amp to try, and this is the one that I have a feeling that is going to work best. Neco (Soundlabs) builds and sells headphone amps as a hobby and I've tried a few of them and they are very good. Not much to look at, but every ounce of sq gets squeezed in for your money. The latest version Mosfet with twin power supplies for each channel is great value. This is my favorite amp for my RS1's, really, if you are looking for a quality Grado amp you should check one out.
The sound with the 702's is now warmer, don't get me wrong its not warm like the 650's but not cold. Definitely not cold. Slightly less speed compared to the Little dot but much more engaging. Loads of detail and nothing is forced. This is the set up I'm keeping for these cans, a nice balanced dac and a slightly warm solid state amp. Very impressed indeed now. I've found a sound that seems to fill the gap between my lovely chilled musical 650's and my edgy Grado's. In fact if you merged them both together you may get a sound very similar to the 702's!

Conclusion:
Great cans if you find synergy like I have. Whether they are better than the 650's? time will tell for me, as these impressions are of my new toy. But they are definitely keepers for now. I'm not blown away by anything and thats probably a good thing....

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 23
Thanks for the review,  I found the K702 to sounds the best with the Phonitor, and in my experience the best studio combo.

Here is more info:

1. http://www.head-fi.org/t/393139/k702-in-the-studio

2. http://www.head-fi.org/t/378255/akg-k702-build-your-own-cable (highly recommended to get a better cable).

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 23
I find the X-CANV3 to add a bit too much treble to the K702. If you get the chance, try the X-CANV8P with it, you'll really enjoy the combo.

The V200, IMO, is one of the best if not the best amp to pair the K702 with. It smooths them out, adds bass, and fill in the slightly lacking midband.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 23
Thanks, read your review Acix and I agree that they are great mixing cans. I'm no sound engineer, but I enjoy recording on a small scale with my band and would trust the K702's for accuracy.

My next purchase has to be a cable upgrade, I've had a few different cables for my 650's and they made a big difference for me. Never made one myself yet but that might be a good option.  

Zombie X, yeah the Xcan v3 is a bright amp, think thats why it works so well with the 650's. I'd love to try the V8, had my eye on it for a while as I was going to pair one with my Grado's. I'll have to wait till it comes down in price though
rolleyes.gif

I'll look into the amp suggestions thanks 

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 23
The X-CANV8 and Heed CanAmp are some of the best K702 amps out there. Either of them are great for the K702. Just don't get the Phonitor or Auditor for the K702, you will be disappointed.

May 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:
The X-CANV8 and Heed CanAmp are some of the best K702 amps out there. Either of them are great for the K702. Just don't get the Phonitor or Auditor for the K702, you will be disappointed.

Why you'll be disappointed? I have the the K702 + Phonitor combo, and so far is the best combo if you are into accuracy, and transparency. Maybe you believe, or have a need to change and color the K702 sound house... BTW, have you tried the K702 with the Phonitor?

May 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 23
I have to disagree Acix, I think it's a terrible combo. I don't mean to argue at all, but it's really not good. I find the V200 powers the headphones better. I felt that the K702, from the Auditor, lacked control and articulation. The dynamics were bad. The transients were really poor. The Auditor and Phonitor are the same amp minus the crossfeed circuit, so performance is the exact same. SPL has told me that the Auditor and Phonitor  sound the same, as they use the exact same amp circuit, it's just that the Phonitor has the crossfeed.

Now both amps themselves are phenomenal, for high impedance headphones, but not low impedance and low sensitivity ones like the K702. They both lack sufficient current for the headphone.

Yet again I don't mean to argue, I just heavily disagree with your assessment. 

Quote:

Why you'll be disappointed? I have the the K702 + Phonitor combo, and so far is the best combo if you are into accuracy, and transparency. Maybe you believe, or have a need to change and color the K702 sound house... BTW, have you tried the K702 with the Phonitor?

May 3, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 23
I think the Little-Dot 1+ is a good cheap amp for the K701/K702. The E9 to me sounds bad with them..

May 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:
I think the Little-Dot 1+ is a good cheap amp for the K701/K702. The E9 to me sounds bad with them..

I think you're probably the only one on head-fi who thinks this
biggrin.gif
.. but that's OK.
I don't use the E9 with my Q701, but I'd have no issues suggesting it.

Believe it or not I think the E9 is a better match for the K702 than the Asgard to my ears.

May 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:
Believe it or not I think the E9 is a better match for the K702 than the Asgard to my ears.

I'm inclined to agree with this. For the little time I have tried both amps with the K702, the E9 (paired with an E7) somewhat drives with better power and control. And it adds a little color to the sound which I find pleasing. The Asgard sounded cleaner and neutral, though.

May 4, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 23
Objectively speaking, the E9 is probably a better amp than the asgard. The E9s main problem is its 10 ohm output impedance, making it better suited for higher impedance headphones.

May 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:
I think the Little-Dot 1+ is a good cheap amp for the K701/K702.

I agree, I think it is a very good cheap option for the AKG's. Especially with the 408a tubes for the better soundstage. It may not be the most refined amp for them, but the detail, punch and bass-weight is better than my other amps mentioned above.

I'd like to try a V200 at some point, warmth and current have to be a good call for the K70x's, I love the treble on these but they do sound more hifi friendly with a bit more warmth. My Necosoundlab amp has the warmth, but I'd like it to have the same amount of current as the LD 1+. 

May 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 23
Thanks for introducing another great review on a classic can.   With all the focus on LCD2 and HE500 and HE800 these days, it's nice to get a fresh look at one of the old standards!   I love my new HE-400's but the K702 is a special headphone all the way around. 

Quote:
Thanks for the review,  I found the K702 to sounds the best with the Phonitor, and in my experience the best studio combo.

Quote:

I think the bold segments make it very clear what you value in the output (not surprising since you're a studio engineer
wink.gif
)   For the studio environment, I imagine that is the perfect pair....pure linearity and accuracy.  An almost flawless tool.  However such precision isn't always the most pleasant thing for leisure listening, and I can see why many seek something that will tame the analytical beast that is K702.  I love listening to K702 on my Lyr.  The tube distortion and warmth retains most of their analytical nature, but tames it a bit to keep it pleasing to the ear as well, or "musical" as it were.

I can't stand K702 on my Headroom Micro.  The infamous "plastic" sound comes out, I imagine because the Headroom is heavily colored, and mids-forward, and it ruins, well honestly, most headphones, but K702 especially.

But your mention of the Phonitor makes me want to bring my K702 back out (it's temporarily off the stand after acquiring HE-400 and D5k) and try it with my new O2.   It is also a very accurate analytical amp.  It's no Phonitor, but it's as close as one will get with a budget.... It could be fun!   I think I'll find the tube distortion more pleasing still, but that would give me a perfect analytical setup for reference!

May 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:
Thanks for introducing another great review on a classic can.   With all the focus on LCD2 and HE500 and HE800 these days, it's nice to get a fresh look at one of the old standards!   I love my new HE-400's but the K702 is a special headphone all the way around. 

I think the bold segments make it very clear what you value in the output (not surprising since you're a studio engineer
wink.gif
)   For the studio environment, I imagine that is the perfect pair....pure linearity and accuracy.  An almost flawless tool.  However such precision isn't always the most pleasant thing for leisure listening, and I can see why many seek something that will tame the analytical beast that is K702.  I love listening to K702 on my Lyr.  The tube distortion and warmth retains most of their analytical nature, but tames it a bit to keep it pleasing to the ear as well, or "musical" as it were.

I can't stand K702 on my Headroom Micro.  The infamous "plastic" sound comes out, I imagine because the Headroom is heavily colored, and mids-forward, and it ruins, well honestly, most headphones, but K702 especially.

But your mention of the Phonitor makes me want to bring my K702 back out (it's temporarily off the stand after acquiring HE-400 and D5k) and try it with my new O2.   It is also a very accurate analytical amp.  It's no Phonitor, but it's as close as one will get with a budget.... It could be fun!   I think I'll find the tube distortion more pleasing still, but that would give me a perfect analytical setup for reference!

What Micro Amp do you have? Is it the newer desktop model with it's huge brick power supply or the portable version that uses batteries? Perhaps an older model? Mine was purchased last year. From my understanding there's quite a bit of difference between the Portable Micro and the full sized version. This one I have is pretty dang powerful. It even drives my K601 with ease. Sounds amazing with the Q701 and especially the K601.

The K702 was also very, very good with the Micro Amp to my ears. No plasticy sound to be heard anywhere, but I did hear that on the K701 from my receiver. I would say that the K702+Headroom Micro amp was the best i've ever heard it and better than the Asgard or E9. It didn't fix it's issues with it's treble or somewhat thin mids.

I don't find the Micro amp I have to be heavily colored at all. I would say very slightly forward upper mids maybe, but it's such a non-issue even on headphones with forward upper mids. It's never radically changed the sound of any of my headphones. I would say to my ears it's slightly warm. I think it's far more neutral than the Asgard. My guess is that it might be similar in sound to the M-Stage, but i'll know eventually.

The Headroom Micro was my upgrade from the distaster that was the Asgard. That thing made my K702 and K601 sound awful. It even did a poor job with the ATH-AD2000. I've yet to find a headphone that's bad with the Micro Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back