K702's or Schiit Asgard first
Sep 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dscythe

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Upgraditus has struck me once again even though i just bought a pair of AKG k272's almost two months ago. I've decided on the K702 and would like to eventually end up with the k702 and a schiit asgard (could possibly be swayed to a little dot product) and maybe bifrost too. I currently have a fiio e10 and an old technics reciever which i think is powering my 272's fine, its hard to find amping information on them and i havent been able to try them through anything else. My question to you guys is this: Since i can only afford one piece of gear at the moment, with the others coming a while later, would it be a better investment to buy the k702's first and run them through my setup, or get the asgard first and see if my 272's change at all and then go for the K702?

Any input is appreciated as i dont think my current setup would do the 702's justice at all.

Thanks

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 11
What do you feel is missing from your current setup?

1.)  Lack of bass
2.)  Noisy
3.)  Hard to drive
4.)  Not detailed enough
5.)  Too dark or too bright

Please list what exactly is motivating you to upgrade.

List what type of music you typically listen to and be sure to include a few examples.  List if you like a headphone to sound dark, bright, or neutral and list a few reasons why.

If you answer those questions we can help you much more easily and accurately.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
What do you feel is missing from your current setup?

1.)  Lack of bass
2.)  Noisy
3.)  Hard to drive
4.)  Not detailed enough
5.)  Too dark or too bright

Please list what exactly is motivating you to upgrade.

List what type of music you typically listen to and be sure to include a few examples.  List if you like a headphone to sound dark, bright, or neutral and list a few reasons why.

If you answer those questions we can help you much more easily and accurately.

Everything on my headphones right now is fine, i just wish they had more detail. I've been researching the K702's for quite some time and just have the urge to buy them and experience what everyone here says about them. My music is mostly rock and some metal, which i know is not the k702's strong suit. The main bands would be Pink Floyd, Queen, AC/DC, Quiet Riot, R.E.M, Rush, Savatage, Trans-Siberian Orchestra. And most bands that are usually associated with those. I've tried multiple pairs of grados and found them far to bright to be enjoyable, which i know can be a problem on the K702's, but I really just want to give them a try 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just having trouble trying to decide which device i should purchase first (the 702's or the asgard) that will give me the biggest improvement until i can acquire the other one, if that makes sense haha.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Do you mean rock isn't or just metal?  I wanted the Q701s to have an alternative to my D2000s when I listen to female vocals and/or rock songs.

Based on what i have read both, mainly cause the bass doesnt have a lot of kick to it, which is fine for me. It also really depends on the quality of the recording

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Based on what i have read both, mainly cause the bass doesnt have a lot of kick to it, which is fine for me. It also really depends on the quality of the recording

Oh, I see.

Most of the time I consider true rock all the stuff that came out during the late 60s up till the late 70s.  Stuff after that is a bit rougher and different.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is, although I love the bass and drums on my D2000s, I'd like to listen to Fleetwood Mac or Pink Floyd with more emphasis on the guitar and vocals.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 11
I say amplifier first, because it may make your current AKG K272 sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back