K702: OMG, etc...??
Nov 13, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #61 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is what Ive noticed with my hd600s too. They really need the volumes that give you tinnitus hehehe. I just did the mod though and feel a little differently about that now. Its as if it doesn't need the extreme volumes anymore because of the freer flowing driver without the foam behind the driver impeding airflow

which amp did you use for the HD600?

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #62 of 80
I love my 702s so much that I got rid of my HD600s. They just never got any play time. I've arrived at a point where I can live with only 1 HP and that's the K702.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #63 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my 702s so much that I got rid of my HD600s. They just never got any play time. I've arrived at a point where I can live with only 1 HP and that's the K702.

X1
beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #64 of 80
The stuff I read here about amp impedance is the first fact. The AKGs are low impedance and only work on that type of amp. I do not read about your taste in music. The AKGs just do not do rock or even electronic music that well. They bring vocals to a new world along with mid range guitar tone. After you spend a long time with them on the right amp you can start to play techno and just enjoy the special sound and head-space they offer. I will no way say they are perfect for a one phone home. It has also been a long road till a year later I can say I love them for the small area of music that they do reproduce well, classical, new age, womens vocals.

Now I own two pair as they are headphones that I want to own. Just do not jump to a conviction on these in one week as you may loose out right before the miracle.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #65 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which amp did you use for the HD600?

i used a gilmore lite with dedicated power supply but I already changed my opinion on the mods. Taking out the foam made the headphones sound cheap in the long term. I now have bare stock hd580s and I love them with my Little dot mk2 with Mullard ef92 driver tubes coming from a Valab Dac

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #66 of 80
I would like to lock a few Head-Fiers in a room and DBT you with my late-production-run K501s, mixed in with other headphones, then review the 'Bass' scores on each phone. I agree that they arent bass cannons, but they arent featherweights either. Whether the rumour mill is right or not, I dont know, but mine have at least as much bass oomph as my 601.

I bought the SR325 and my Ultrasones specifically for their bass impact, and I have yet to take the K501 off my head because I felt the bass impact wasn't there. Its a tighter bass, no question, but its there. The overall sensation is one of balance - AKG got it right with these phones, imo, even if I would have preferred a bit more metal and less plastic in the construction.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #67 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i used a gilmore lite with dedicated power supply but I already changed my opinion on the mods. Taking out the foam made the headphones sound cheap in the long term. I now have bare stock hd580s and I love them with my Little dot mk2 with Mullard ef92 driver tubes coming from a Valab Dac

Thanks for that. I was considering taking out the little round foam from behind my HD580's drivers. As much as I love my HD580's, curiosity gets the better of me sometimes and I want to try different mods. It looks like that little foam piece would be a booger to put back. I'm glad I read your post before acting on my curiosity.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #68 of 80
Taking out the back foam makes a subtle difference. Maybe it adds a little speed to the sound. Thats the impression i got but it is the front foam that makes a big difference in tonality. It brightens up the sound of the hd600 but makes it lose that bounce in the bass and makes the sound lose dimensionality. The back foam is easy to put back by the way, all you need are some tweezers

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #69 of 80
To the OP- I've owned both the K701 and HD650 for a couple years now.

What I like about the K701:
They seem to go deeper than the Senns.
The highs are more defined at similar volumes.

What I don't like about the K701:
While they go deeper, the bass quantity just isn't where I like it.
The center bump on the headband hurts my head to no end. Two years later and it still has not softened up.
Their sound signature just does not agree with my taste in music- I too was a victim of in impulse-buy.

I do my best to go back and forth often between the two headphones to see if my opinion changes. So far it has not...

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #70 of 80
I find that my ears usually have to go through a harsh and jarring adjustment period with the K701s when I listen to them after getting used to another headphone's sound. They can just sound terribly thin and odd for the first 10-15 minutes or so. But once my ears are used to the sound, I find it totally addictive.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #71 of 80
I find my K701 to be thin and distant at low to moderate volumes. I find them to be tonally balanced, full-bodied and 3 dimensional at louder volumes...
k701smile.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #72 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKGs just do not do rock or even electronic music that well..

While I agree that K701 are not that good for some rock sub-genres (esp. hard rock), they are very, very good for various electronic music. Right now I'm listening to fantastic house by Sergej Smile and the bass, beat and energy are fabulous. They are also great for ambient and goa.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #73 of 80

Grab a Pro900.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #74 of 80
When I got my K702 initially I was like "woah, where's the bass?". Then some time later, which by I mean a few days of listening, I was like "hey, it's right there, wonder how I missed it, and it's pretty nice too".

Some weeks later, I realise I didn't love my old cans since I got the AKG, so I went back to them. Listened to my MS-1 and first thing I said was "damn I didn't know there was so much bass in these cans". Not believing what I hear, so I put on my DT234Pro this time. It was in fact still bassier.

Then later tonight, I put on my Beyer again to play some games with friends. Bass somehow disappeared, it wasn't so boomy anymore. This was how I initially thought of this pair when I got it after a year or two of the MS-1; neutral-y sounding cans.

After the hours of gaming, I put my K702s back on, and what do you know, "where's the bass?".

It's alright now, since I'm yet again used to the K702s. Bass is back, some songs still don't have them, but others do, my ears are happy, etc.

---

Sad to hear that you don't find the K702s appealing, even after a lot of listening. Guess that's just how it is in life, and move on, eh?

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #75 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I agree that K701 are not that good for some rock sub-genres (esp. hard rock), they are very, very good for various electronic music. Right now I'm listening to fantastic house by Sergej Smile and the bass, beat and energy are fabulous. They are also great for ambient and goa.

They are studio monitor, not so much coloration to the music. They will reflect the music production level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back