K702: OMG, etc...??
Nov 6, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #46 of 80
Best choices for burn-in non-believers: try brand new fresh Grado GS1000's or Sony MDR-7509HD's and tell me what you hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #49 of 80
I don't know how much effect burn-in has but I know circuit manufacturers do it for testing purposes. Putting the circuits to work at varying temperatures in order to see if they get adequate performance in different conditions.

Sure it's a bit different from the headphone burn-in process referred to on this site but it's something.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #50 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have known better. Impulse got the best of me
frown.gif

Hmm, no thanks. I have owned the AD2000 (and liked it better than the K702), but in the end it too did not have enough bass...

RS-1's maybe? You'll get more bass than AD2000's and a warmer mid range depending on the pad combination. RS-2's would also fit the bill - and you can pick up a used set in the mid to high $300 range.

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #51 of 80
Oh god, RS-1 and RS-2. I used to own an RS-2 and I heard an RS-1 at a meet. Both harsh and grating as the volume goes up, and unremarkable at normal volume. Flat pads resulted in harder hitting bass, and slightly better sound at normal volume, but still harsh and grating at higher volumes.

It's official, I traded my K702 for an HD650. I shipped out the 702s earlier today. If I am not mistaken, the HD650 will be the only headphone I have owned twice. It's biggest plus, it is never harsh or grating, and as the volume goes it, it just sounds better and better.

Come to think of it, the only headphone I have owned (and heard) that I liked better than the HD650 is the K1000... but in my current situation, it will never happen again. Plus, that would not go down so well in a dorm.

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #53 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's biggest plus, it is never harsh or grating, and as the volume goes it, it just sounds better and better.

This is the reason I seldom listen to my HD600. They just sound too good at too high volume levels to be healthy.

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #54 of 80
That is what Ive noticed with my hd600s too. They really need the volumes that give you tinnitus hehehe. I just did the mod though and feel a little differently about that now. Its as if it doesn't need the extreme volumes anymore because of the freer flowing driver without the foam behind the driver impeding airflow

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #56 of 80
The HD600 was my other option, but I know and love the 650 and didn't want to risk another mistake. Plus, I like the extra bass.

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #58 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidxtb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have to wait for at least a week's burn in without discontinue.

:facepalm:

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #59 of 80
I have been running my K702's for over 400 hours now. I have them running through a HifiMan EF2 amp - 12-18 hours a day at 60% volume.

Here's what I found

<40 hours - bass response lacking - highs dominate - quite disappointed

100 hours - bass response finally shows up and is accurate

300 hours - overall improvement in detail, fuller bass (but not overpowering), very balanced sound and to my ears at least, the headphones have warmed up a lot

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #60 of 80
Your ears will adjust to them. Give them time.

They aren't going to magically inherit earth-shattering bass from being played. You just have to learn to enjoy the sound they offer, or move on to something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back