K702 DIY Dual Entry Cable
Feb 26, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #31 of 44
dang horio, sorry to hear of your misfortune. i cant believe my solder still isnt here, im buggin out!! i want to get pictures up soon...

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dang horio, sorry to hear of your misfortune. i cant believe my solder still isnt here, im buggin out!! i want to get pictures up soon...

Yea, the right side (the first side I did) went without a hitch. There was a ton of solder on the stock wire of the left driver. I had a terrible time getting it off and that is when I probably "cooked" it. Not that big of a deal, just means I have to wait for 2 weeks for AKG to get the part in stock. In the mean time I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.
biggrin.gif

What worked pretty well for me was to put a bunch of extra solder on the tip of the wire when "tinning" it. I then placed the heavily tinned wired against the driver pin and heated them simultaneously. The solder would flow nicely after just a second or two of heat and gave a nice connection.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #33 of 44
nice, that was the plan of action. i was going to do that with some extra on the tip to get a nice joint. i have all the parts and am starring at a half dismantled pair of 702s.... just waiting for cardas solder to get here. what solder did you use horio?

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #35 of 44
The K702's live once again! Thanks mmayer for your tip. I was able to bring the original driver back to life with a little bit of extra soldering, saving me $50 in the process.

I went with a dual entry configuration, and used DHC nucleotide cable in a four wire litz braid. I added a little bling and bought a Viablue splitter and some carbon techflex (help with durability for the part of the cable that will be resting on the ground). I purchased a pair of rubber strain relief grommets from Moon Audio, and a extra right driver housing from AKG for a matching look. The cable is terminated with a Neutrik 4-pin XLR.

4456026376_ea64b38e58_o.jpg

So far it sounds great. Perhaps the sound is a tad bit warmer, but all the resolution is still there. I like what I am hearing so far. I will try and post some additional impressions after I have a chance to listen to the setup more.

Overall, it wasn't a terribly hard DIY project. A little bit of skill with the soldering iron, and some patience and care are all that is required. I figure I saved about 50% by doing the cable myself. Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #37 of 44
thought id post a pict. of my build, i made a thread with pictures of the build but for scrolling to view this seems proper, horio's profesional job vs my primitive recable. i know my heat shrink is a bit overkill but it works for now.

img0948d.jpg

img0944pr.jpg

i, like horio also ordered a second right side cup for the left side. fit was good but there is a small gap left in the piece of the puzzle just below the cap from the xlr entrance. if you ordered a right side piece of that too you would totally equalize the sides aesthetically. Enjoying the sonic improvement too! the dhc nucleotide definitely warmed things up a bit, and they still retained their detail i was hoping would remain
regular_smile .gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #38 of 44
Nicely done mmayer. I really liked the "naked" DHC cable the first time I saw your setup. It was a hard decision to cover mine up, so I compromised and left the Y portion showing.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #39 of 44
Nice a pack fan in MN.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #40 of 44
the Blatnik Bridge is a gateway to a lot of debauchery in Superior.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #41 of 44
haha yea, where are you from fishski? if your not too far away id love to hear my recabled 702's with some of your gear! im originally from Eau Claire WI. Going to school here in Duluth at UMD has been good besides dealing with all these crazy boisterous vike vans... (sorry to all you vike fans who had to watch favre want it too bad this year
frown.gif
)
Edit: haha the frowny face is even purple... and sorry for sort of hacking the thread horio.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha yea, where are you from fishski? if your not too far away id love to hear my recabled 702's with some of your gear! im originally from Eau Claire WI. Going to school here in Duluth at UMD has been good besides dealing with all these crazy boisterous vike vans... (sorry to all you vike fans who had to watch favre want it too bad this year
frown.gif
)
Edit: haha the frowny face is even purple... and sorry for sort of hacking the thread horio.

i'm an alum of UMD, now living in Mpls.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #44 of 44
Nice recable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back