K702 DIY Dual Entry Cable
Feb 17, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #16 of 44
i have taken them apart, thats the reason i decided to recable. and yes they arent the most fun cans to investigate.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #17 of 44
Is there a way to separate the driver from the outer plastic shell outside because the pins on the driver seem very difficult to get to and very close to the plastic and I don't want to melt the plastic. I circled the pins I am referring to in this pic. Sorry for the quality (camera phone)

WedFeb17094546AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #18 of 44
just undo that big black screw in the middle there to get closer to the pins. im still waiting on my dang neutrik plug and solder to get here otherwise id have a tutorial for ya'll to look at. tracking says itl be here tomorrow so i hope sometime tomorrow night i'll have it up for everyone to criticize haha. seriously tho be nice when its up, im doing you a favor. happy listening headnecks!

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #19 of 44
Thanks. I am now just thinking about soldering the new cable to the leads already soldered to the pins on the driver. I am really worried that I will overheat the pins and damage the driver.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #21 of 44
Maybe I'll see how yours turns out first with the HS. Obviously I'd rather go directly to the pins but I don't know if its worth the extra risk.

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #22 of 44
yea, i'll post difficulty rating compared to other soldering tasks when im done. when i redid my hd201s i had the heat on it seemed like forever to get a good solder (probably wasnt that long but it seems like it when ur in a hurry). whats the worst that could happen?? I'll just have to buy a new pair and do the burn in all over again...screw! only to still not have a recabled pair haha. staying confident!

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #23 of 44
lol im sure you'll pull it off

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...i hope sometime tomorrow night i'll have it up for everyone to criticize haha. seriously tho be nice when its up, im doing you a favor. happy listening headnecks!

I've been anxiously waiting for this...

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been anxiously waiting for this...

He's just waiting on his soldier to arrive.

I made up basically the same exact cable myself. I will be soldiering it in a few days once I get the last couple parts, so I'll post some pictures as well.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #26 of 44
hey, yea sorry everybody who's waiting on this from me. Ive been waiting for my solder to get here, the place i ordered it from made a mistake and reshipped it on sat so im not making any promises but later this week it looks like itl be done for you to check out : (

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #27 of 44
So I gave rewiring my K702's a shot today. Dismantling took a bit of time but they come apart pretty easy after you've done it once. I recommend you use two ball point pens for rotating the mesh cover. Tweezers or scissors may damage the plastic or scratch it.

Right side went without any problems. I used a little clip on heatsink to help draw head away from the tiny fragile driver wires. Tested it with my multi meter and got a good signal and the driver even made a little hum.

Then I went onto the left side. I had trouble getting the old wire off and I am afraid I may have overheated the wire (even with the clip). I soldered the new dual entry cable to that side and got nothing when I went to test it with the meter. I removed the new cable, took out the driver and tried testing at several different locations on the driver pins. Nothing. I looked really closely and couldn't detect any problems with the tiny driver wire. I can't think of anything else to try, so I'm guessing the driver is toast. I guess I'll be ordering a new one tomorrow...

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #28 of 44
Ouch that sounds really sucky...

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #30 of 44
I think if I recable I am just going to solder to the existing wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back