K702 DIY Dual Entry Cable
Feb 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Horio

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm getting ready to rewire my K702's with a balanced dual entry DIY copper cable. I've done my fair share of soldering in the past, but this will be my first attempt at hardwiring the AKG's. I've read that if you are not careful, that you can overheat/fry the pins on the drivers. I bought a Aoyue 936 welding iron and some cardas solder to try and minimize the risk. I am planning to litz braid the cable and terminate with a 4-pin Neutrik XLR. So my questions are:

1.) Do you have any tips/suggestions when soldering the new cables onto the drivers?

2.) Do you suggest stranded (DHC Nucleotide) or solid copper for the cable?

3.) How did you provide strain relief at the drivers/enclosure?

For those of you who have rewired K701/2's, I am open to any other suggestions.

Thanks

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 44
vampire 20ga clear cheaper and much easier to braid . i can braid 30 awg wire but i cant do dhc at least not easy also for what ever reason the dhc i had turned green even with it sealed off only wire i ever had turn green so far.

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3.) How did you provide strain relief at the drivers/enclosure?

For those of you who have rewired K701/2's, I am open to any other suggestions.

Thanks

If you contact drubrew from moon audio he has strain releifs for sale.

I'm actually in the process of re cabling my k601s, and I cooked a driver with less than 2 seconds of contact, but I have a 25w non-adjustable weller iron.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 44
Im doing a 702 recable and im gonna use a clip on solder heatsink as an extra safety measure on those pins below the solder joint. Im going to post a thread with picts of the whole process when im done but heres what my cable looks like all braided and ready for the 1/4" plug when it gets here. Its the nucleotide cable from DHC.. i hope myn wont turn green
confused_face.gif
i assume that if it does turn green the cable is pretty much junk right? ps sorry the pict is an attachment...

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i assume that if it does turn green the cable is pretty much junk right?

Well, according to a big 'company', that shouldn't affect the performance.

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, according to a big 'company', that shouldn't affect the performance.

You mean that big 'company' who would stand lose lots of money, and customers as well as tarnish (see what I did there) their reputation?

If you use a dab of epoxy to seal the ends of the wire you should be fine.

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 44
^ this is interesting, ive had my tribraid cable for a few months now and i cant see what it looks like under the techflex and it just keeps sounding better. Maybe it looks like hulk under there! Who knows maybe green is better? lol

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
trust me if it turns green and it was under techflex you would never know the difference
smily_headphones1.gif

...yeah, but the same can be argued for the case where the wire was a coat hanger. Interestingly in the case of single entry k701/702 the right side literally is connected using "coat hanger wire"

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im doing a 702 recable and im gonna use a clip on solder heatsink as an extra safety measure on those pins below the solder joint. Im going to post a thread with picts of the whole process when im done but heres what my cable looks like all braided and ready for the 1/4" plug when it gets here. Its the nucleotide cable from DHC.. i hope myn wont turn green
confused_face.gif
i assume that if it does turn green the cable is pretty much junk right? ps sorry the pict is an attachment...

Nice looking cable mmayer. I've got my supplies on order and I'll hopefully tackle the recable next week sometime. Looking forward to your post w/pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back