K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Sep 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Merfolk

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this is old news.  It looks like they finally fixed the bumps in the headband. 

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1340,pid,1340,nodeid,2,_country,ENUS,_language,EN,country,ENUS.html

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 25
Pretty cool looking, although some people might not like the blue. Curious how much they'll retail for, considering the only changes are the headband and pads, and it has 1 less cable than the Q701.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 25
The release also says,
"Pre-selected transducers for performance consistency and accurate localization"

Possibly they are hand-matching the  L and R drivers to get a good match.  Adds to the
cost, of course.  May be worth it, assuming I'm reading it right.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 25
wow.. I want this ><

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 25
Guys..there's no change at all in sound. 99.999% identical. It just got a color change
biggrin.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist.

If it's cheap enough I'd like to try it out, but not until it's over $350. Probably will come down in price.

Maybe specific Q701 and K702 models have higher quality drivers. Probably all random when it comes to sound.

Those pads look a bit different. Also notice that adjustment slider thing on the right?

Now if this becomes popular we'll have even more arguing on if there's any difference in sound!

It'd be funny if it sounded exactly like my Q701. Like 100% the same.

also..did you notice the frequency response is not 10-39.800 (like the K702/K701), but 8-39,800.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 25
Agreed. They look pretty nice though, but I'm very sure there will be no change. They made a big deal out of releasing the Q701 which was basically the same. 

However, if I could buy that headband separately, I'd be all over that! 

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:
Agreed. They look pretty nice though, but I'm very sure there will be no change. They made a big deal out of releasing the Q701 which was basically the same. 

However, if I could buy that headband separately, I'd be all over that! 

Not really..have you heard the Q701 yet? Most people would say otherwise. I would say it's mostly a slightly tuned version of the K702. Probably a 10-15% improvement over the K702, but I won't go there. Saying it's basically the same is not quite accurate IMO.

Then again I only have this one Q701 and haven't inspected two dozen pairs for differences.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Not really..have you heard the Q701 yet? Most people would say otherwise. I would say it's mostly a slightly tuned version of the K702. Probably a 10-15% improvement over the K702, but I won't go there. Saying it's basically the same is not quite accurate IMO.

Then again I only have this one Q701 and haven't inspected two dozen pairs for differences.

I actually have a pair on my head. I agree they do sound different (bass wise), but overall they are so extremely similar to the K702. AKG made a huge deal about the release and basically it was a slightly modified version of the K702, so I just don't see them remaking the K702 for the "anniversary special". I wonder if it would have the same drivers / tuned to the Q701 though. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 25
I compared the Q701 vs. K702 ANV The basic signature is the same.  I do find the midrange on ANV is slightly smoother with less edge.  Bass is a little fuller.  Nothing really jumps out and tell you that you are listening to a "better" K702.  You won't be able to tell unless you compared the two side by side, critically.  The million dollar question, is it worth getting the anniversary version?  Yes, if you like a more comfy fit, slightly smoother sound with improved bass response and it's Limited release.  More to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back