K701's and Amp Choices
Mar 21, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #46 of 66
My Doge 6210 drives the 701 very nicely.

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #47 of 66
i think they will sound good with any decent amp. honest.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #49 of 66
Just got a pair of K 701 this week and have been burning them for 70 hrs now. I am just listening to Depech Mode, Violator. I am hearing things I have not heard before, and sooo musical. I am using Xcan V3 although this has all the Pinkie mods , I am well happy, but admit I am curious about the Raptor 2, its messy getting these here though being in the UK. Headphone amps are not as big a thing over here.Check our Headphone site and the V3 mods.
http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/v3upgradekit.html

Mar 24, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #50 of 66
Well,
Just received my new Woo 6 amp. Man this thing is beautiful! Extremely well built, it has plenty of muscle to drive my K701's to very loud levels. I have yet to hear any clipping on heavy bass passages. The matching transformers are a must. What really impresses me the most , is how quite the amp is. Music seems to flow from a dead black background. The sound matched with a pair of K701's pure bliss! The bass is tight with great transient response. The mids are smooth neutral, and warm, the highs sparkle with a believable quality yet no hint of being harsh.. So far the Woo is a class act, and Jack is a wonderful, passionate, business man, who pays close attention to the smallest details. I can't say enough about working with Jack. The amp is worth the price just based on the support alone. Their are very few products I have been this satisfied with, in a world where service, and quality are much to often a distant memory. As a business owner myself, I applaud Wooaudio for it's passion in producing a top flight, quality product.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does k701 need an amp? it has a pretty low impedance. is it unlistenable without an amp along the line of hd 650?

how does it perform unamped?

you need a good amp to supply the current. without an amp, the sound is very thin.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #57 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you need a good amp to supply the current. without an amp, the sound is very thin.

if i were to just plug into my dap, then i should forget about it?

the phone has 62ohms, shouldnt power transfer easily to the phone?

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i were to just plug into my dap, then i should forget about it?

the phone has 62ohms, shouldnt power transfer easily to the phone?

think about speakers. they are 8 ohms. would you connect your speakers straight out of a DAP? well, the K701 works the same way. They need a little more voltage swing and a lot more current.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
think about speakers. they are 8 ohms. would you connect your speakers straight out of a DAP?

that's an interesting question. i actually do that but my speakers are powered, so i guess that makes a difference. right?

has anyone tried these phones with cheaper amps like go-vibe?

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #60 of 66
I'm using them with just a Total BitHead, and I think they sound surprisingly good, better than anything else in my limited collection, and certainly not thin by any measure to my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back