K701's and Amp Choices
Mar 15, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the K701's supposed mate well with the Singlepower line of amps? I was considering repurchasing some K701's to see what they can do with my new PPX3 SLAM.

Yes .... I was using the 701 tonight with an Extreme.
eek.gif
basshead.gif

I want to try them on my PPX3 SLAM too .... with all the new tube combos available.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #32 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtaylor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the 701s recently and can only advise you that they don't seem to mate well with the Channel Islands Audio amp. Am thinking that they need tubes to sound their best.
Break in is long also. They have had 300 hours with the CIA and still sound brittle at the top and unconvincing in the Bass.

could this possibly be an issue wrt your source and/or cables? those can create their own set of problems.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #33 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the K701's supposed mate well with the Singlepower line of amps? I was considering repurchasing some K701's to see what they can do with my new PPX3 SLAM.

yup, that's what i'm using them with. fantastic, big big sound. each compliments the other beautifully, especially when listening to vinyl.

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #34 of 66
I can heartily recommend the Darkvoice 332i for the 701, its synergized incredibly well with all 4 of my cans. Smooth, yet detailed sound and great bass to boot. Very good value for the value and I sold the dynahi for it, so there you go.

Mike

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmer116 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can heartily recommend the Darkvoice 332i for the 701, its synergized incredibly well with all 4 of my cans. Smooth, yet detailed sound and great bass to boot. Very good value for the value and I sold the dynahi for it, so there you go.

Mike

Where can you buy the Dark Voice 332i from?

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can you buy the Dark Voice 332i from?

ebay

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #37 of 66
I've never found any tube or hybrid amp sound right with K701; try it with a headamp(or any of the gilmore ss amps) then you'll know how good these cans are.

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #38 of 66
My experience with the 701s and the Mapletree, is simply heard as a wonderful pairing
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never found any tube or hybrid amp sound right with K701; try it with a headamp(or any of the gilmore ss amps) then you'll know how good these cans are.

this finding can be contrasted with drarthurwells repeated strong assertions that his bada hybrid amp paired with 701s is a fabulous combo. considering that he's invited head-fiers to stop by for a listen i'm surprised no one (that i'm aware of) has gone over and reported back with their impressions.

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #41 of 66
A tubey tube amp like the Doge 6210 is perfect for the K701s. Just sounds incredible and better than the solid state amps I've tried with the K701s. There is a ton of bass slam and warmth. Low and Mid-end solid state amps sound thin with the K701s, but some may prefer such a sound. A high end solid state or a tube amp would be the top choice.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #42 of 66
Hmm. Alot of people love the tubes with the K701's...which sucks...since tubes are a little more picky, run hotter and go out. That or the HEED. How does the Heed match the pimeta?

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. Alot of people love the tubes with the K701's...which sucks...since tubes are a little more picky, run hotter and go out. That or the HEED. How does the Heed match the pimeta?

i would still go with tubes, because of the musicality that tubes offer. to me under $1000 solid state amps sound a bit lean with the K701s. but some tube amps can't drive the K701s, such as the Woo3 and several others. mine's a transformer-coupled one that can easily drive the K701s with power to spare. tubes have midrange bloom which is a very unique effect.

The general concensus seems to be that any $1000+ would work well with the K701s, but if you only have a few hundred dollars you need to select the right one. For say... $400, I would definately go with a tube amp.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #45 of 66
I decided to try the Chinese tubed Yarland P-100 amp ($320) with my K701`s and borrowed the AA Prima cdp from my speaker rig as a tubed source. Even tho there`s only 150 hrs. on these cans, I can tell that this combination is magical.

note...I`m running the Yarland with the stock Chinese tubes but upgraded Russian tubes are on the way. I`ve also read that the Darkvoice 332i has terrific synergy with the K701`s for about the same price as the Yarland. Oh, and the Yarland is one beautiful lookin` amp.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back