K701 with iPod Nano
Feb 22, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #16 of 51
HD 595s sounded pretty good out of my Nano. You might also check out the ATH AD900s, have not heard them though. For way less money the senn EH350s are supposed to have lots of detail and be very good for the price.

Edit: The goldring DR150s are easy to drive and have a Gradoish sound

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #17 of 51
A Nano is small, so maybe youd like to have something small.

IEMs?
Yuins?
KOSS KSC 75? Portapro?
Sennheiser PX100/PMX100?
Ultrasone Icans?
AKG Clip-ons...they have some nice woody and aluminum ones?

Or maybe a bit larger.... Grado SR80, SR225?
Allessandro MS1?

Although some will sound better with the right amp,...you can run them all without one and be fine with it.

If you wanted an amp maybe...theres a bunch of really tiny new amps out there...........Pico, Predator, Petite, and with some Grado SR225's they would kick some butt going through the line-out.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #18 of 51
Max volume on my nano barely gets the K701 to a comfortable listening level, and the detail is hardly there. My CMoy amp couldn't even handle them. I had to buy a new amp to get the most out of them.
Will it work? Yes, but not very well.
Just a question: If your budget is ~$500, why not get the K701 + an amp? You could get the K701 and a decent amp for right around $500.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #19 of 51
I have the 701s and the Nano and I am here to tell you that without an amp they are useless. Some people may tell you otherwise but I honestly think they are just trying to rationalize their own mistakes by telling other people how you can drive the 701s without an amp. They are great headphones but if you want to be amp less then you can find much better alternatives! A different headphone would be a good choice or an amp for the 701s. If you do decide to go with the 701s just know that you will need a very highend amp if you want it to be portable, other wise get a desktop amp if you must go with the 701s. My first instinct is to look for a different headphone if you want to be portable.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first thing that comes to mind is the Audio Technica AD-2000. Asr did a review on them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f13/re...ad2000-199747/

They have excellent bass that is neither lean, nor sloppy, as well as a warm smooth mid-range. I think these would make good all around headphones. They also have a low impedance, and can run directly from an ipod with no problem.

They are very expensive new, around $523 including shipping from Pricejapan.com. However, you can get a pair from someone here on Head-fi for around $450 or less.

you might also look at the Senn HD650, Beyer DT880

Sounds like good advice to me. Its probably a better headphone than the 701s anyway and you wont need an amp but you could use the AD2000's with an amp later on down the road if you like.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like good advice to me. Its probably a better headphone than the 701s anyway and you wont need an amp but you could use the AD2000's with an amp later on down the road if you like.

AD2000s better than K701s? a lot of people will disagree with that statement...
AD2000s better than K701s unamped? Oh yeah, for sure
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

K701s are extremely picky about amps..tube amp is generally better (PH-12, Darkvoice, woo audio among few) while some SS amps do fair well as well (canamp).
Dedicated amp improves K701 greatly.

Inexperienced, un-knowledgeable people should not be trying to pass off their limited knowledge as a blanket recommendation. This includes you. How many tube amps have you heard with the K701? How many solid-state amps? Your sig and post reveal more than you probably realize. Are you also aware of the technical differences between tube amps and solid-state amps?

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD2000s better than K701s? a lot of people will disagree with that statement...
AD2000s better than K701s unamped? Oh yeah, for sure
biggrin.gif

Probably

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 701s and the Nano and I am here to tell you that without an amp they are useless. Some people may tell you otherwise but I honestly think they are just trying to rationalize their own mistakes by telling other people how you can drive the 701s without an amp. They are great headphones but if you want to be amp less then you can find much better alternatives! A different headphone would be a good choice or an amp for the 701s. If you do decide to go with the 701s just know that you will need a very highend amp if you want it to be portable, other wise get a desktop amp if you must go with the 701s. My first instinct is to look for a different headphone if you want to be portable.

I don't agree. I have both as well as some fine ampage, and the k701 is just fine out of a nano. I would buy something else if a nano was my only source, but they are not useless. A k701 out of a nano still sounds better in most respects than an 80 ohm DT770 or HD25 out of a nano. I know this because I am testing it this minute. Will it improve with an amp? Sure. But its sensitivity is not so low that an amp is absolutely required.

Amped or not the k701 remains an awful choice for portability, i'd go closed or IEM.

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree. I have both as well as some fine ampage, and the k701 is just fine out of a nano. I would buy something else if a nano was my only source, but they are not useless. A k701 out of a nano still sounds better in most respects than an 80 ohm DT770 or HD25 out of a nano. I know this because I am testing it this minute. Will it improve with an amp? Sure. But its sensitivity is not so low that an amp is absolutely required.

Amped or not the k701 remains an awful choice for portability, i'd go closed or IEM.

You talk as though I don't have this equipment. The 701s are lifeless and distorted and wasted on the headphone out on a Nano. I also don't think its very responsible of you to suggest otherwise to someone looking for guidance. Flame on if you will but my opinion stands and that will not wavier in the slightest. Yes you can use those two peices of equipment together and get sound, but it wont be hi-fidelity.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #26 of 51
Wow... this thread sure is getting hostile. Talk about elitism and pretension...

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #28 of 51
guys im the proud new owner of a k701, and my housemate has an ipod nano... my headphones arrive tomorrow and i will give an absolute and unbiased feedback , unfortunately im not experienced enough in hifi audio

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #29 of 51
I think a good analgy here is HD televisions.

You can watch VHS tapes on an HDTV. Will it look okay? Sure, but it'll be a total mess compared to what the TV can do.

Can you run K701s straight from an iPod? Certainly, but it'll be a mess compared to what those headphones can give you.

Of course, the analogy fails since you can probably find "lesser" headphones that'll sound better unamped, but that's okay.

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #30 of 51
Carmatic,

When you plug that 701 into that nano. it's going to work.
Will it sound as good as being plugged into...just say a Headamp Pico portable amp? Probably not. It Will play your music.

It will still sound like a 701. Very laidback (probably more), airy, bright (before break in), actually the 701 sounds a little dark, veiled, and less dynamic when it is underpowered.

Someone new to this hobby probably will not notice much if any difference. It is subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back