K701 v K340
Jun 2, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #31 of 62
*hands over a flamesuit*

I understand wanting something new, both for reliability and personal satisfaction's sake. However, that only goes so far, and to simply dismiss a can for its age when there's so much positive opinion behind it without listening to it isn't the best of decisions IMHO.

Jun 2, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #32 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Of the two I'd take the K701 without thinking twice. It's just that I wouldn't like to deal with old (if good) stuff. And above all I believe in change & evolution of taste..

Of coarse you've never heard the K340, so anyone reading your comments should be aware of this.

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Of coarse you've never heard the K340, so anyone reading your comments should be aware of this.

I know - really! What good is all the speculation in the world when you don't have any EXPERIENCE to back it up. Geez - I need to take a break. Some of these head-fi'ers have been getting to me lately
tongue.gif

The k340 is a wonderful vintage headphone that has a soul most newer headphones lack. Hopefully I'll hear the K701 soon so I can do a comparison.

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #35 of 62
Well, I LOVE the K701 and other than the midrange, I couldn't really stand the K340. It just felt like a really thin overall sound; mods helped a good deal, but still not enough for my taste. If you like mids, maybe the K340's for you, but I love the K701 for all of its qualities, and can't stand the K340's overall sound consequently.

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Well, I LOVE the K701 and other than the midrange, I couldn't really stand the K340. It just felt like a really thin overall sound; mods helped a good deal, but still not enough for my taste. If you like mids, maybe the K340's for you, but I love the K701 for all of its qualities, and can't stand the K340's overall sound consequently.

Thin? Ive never heard the k340 being thin sounding even stock form. Wait until you've heard the bass heavy version of the k340, it sounds really full although not as thick and slow as the hd650.

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Thin? Ive never heard the k340 being thin sounding even stock form. Wait until you've heard the bass heavy version of the k340, it sounds really full although not as thick and slow as the hd650.

Quite right - BUT if the pads don't make any kind of seal against the side of your head, they are thin. I couldn't get any kind of seal with the stock pads, and though the sound had qualities, it was thin and very midrange centric. Having wrestled the velour pads made for the K271 onto the slightly too large ear cups, I can add to previous reports that these velour pads revolutionise this headphone. Firstly they are much more comfortable in general, but are also much better at conforming to the contours of the outside of the head and seal very nicely. Not only is isolation vastly improved (one reason I wanted K340's in the first place - now by far the best closed headphone I've heard), but the bass response is also improved - the whole headphone is more in balance with itself. I am comparing this to my 650's right now with some A/B'ing and it is at very worst a comparable headphone.

Jun 3, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #39 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Quite right - BUT if the pads don't make any kind of seal against the side of your head, they are thin. I couldn't get any kind of seal with the stock pads, and though the sound had qualities, it was thin and very midrange centric. Having wrestled the velour pads made for the K271 onto the slightly too large ear cups, I can add to previous reports that these velour pads revolutionise this headphone. Firstly they are much more comfortable in general, but are also much better at conforming to the contours of the outside of the head and seal very nicely. Not only is isolation vastly improved (one reason I wanted K340's in the first place - now by far the best closed headphone I've heard), but the bass response is also improved - the whole headphone is more in balance with itself. I am comparing this to my 650's right now with some A/B'ing and it is at very worst a comparable headphone.

Actually, azn has both the stock and velour pads, and I had the good fortune of hearing them before and after the pad mod, and as I said the velour definitely helped. It's just not my bag, other than, as I said, the beautiful midrange, which I feel I'm still getting with my own AKG 'phones. Perhaps Minh's right and the bass heavy version (both he and a1rocket's version are bass light, and thus it's all I've heard) will change my opinion, if I ever hear a pair. We shall see! In my defense, I actually know one person who's heard the K340 on a few occasions who had far harsher reviews than I did (ATL meet impressions). Oh, and what I can definitely say in the headphones' defense as far as the age thing is concerned, I honestly think if you find a pair in decent shape, that it is NOT something you should be worried about. Given the MANY mods available, you'll have plenty to do with the phones for the foreseeable future, if you buy them now. Both pairs I've come into contact with were holding up VERY well despite their age, and showed no signs of falling apart any time soon. And since, as I said, so many people mod theirs, driver repair would probably not be all that difficult.

Jun 3, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #40 of 62
In my own set up, I find the K340s and the K701s complement each other very well: K701s for open cans and K340s for closed, so well that I am probably going to sell my A900LTDs, since I have no use for a second pair of closed cans.

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

True (funny typo)

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #42 of 62
In my experience the K340's only sound thin with an improper fit or poor amplification. The velour pads help the fit, but the elastics may need to be replaced. What were you guys using as an amp?

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

Actually, azn has both the stock and velour pads, and I had the good fortune of hearing them before and after the pad mod, and as I said the velour definitely helped. It's just not my bag, other than, as I said, the beautiful midrange, which I feel I'm still getting with my own AKG 'phones. Perhaps Minh's right and the bass heavy version (both he and a1rocket's version are bass light, and thus it's all I've heard) will change my opinion, if I ever hear a pair. We shall see! In my defense, I actually know one person who's heard the K340 on a few occasions who had far harsher reviews than I did (ATL meet impressions). Oh, and what I can definitely say in the headphones' defense as far as the age thing is concerned, I honestly think if you find a pair in decent shape, that it is NOT something you should be worried about. Given the MANY mods available, you'll have plenty to do with the phones for the foreseeable future, if you buy them now. Both pairs I've come into contact with were holding up VERY well despite their age, and showed no signs of falling apart any time soon. And since, as I said, so many people mod theirs, driver repair would probably not be all that difficult.

I have a very different impression of these headphones, but at least you have heard them, and therefore I respect your opinion. It's hard for me to imagine someone being really turned off by a good pair of 340's, but I'm sure there isn't a headphone made that would please everyone. Thanks for your comments.

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

I have a very different impression of these headphones, but at least you have heard them, and therefore I respect your opinion. It's hard for me to imagine someone being really turned off by a good pair of 340's, but I'm sure there isn't a headphone made that would please everyone. Thanks for your comments.

The more time I spend with the K340 the more I am impressed with it. It's not vastly different to the usual suspects for classical music, which to me is a great compliment. It's a very neutral headphone that doesn't seem to accentuate anything, or at least anything that bothers me (I'm bothered by most things except a bit too much bass which to me is the least offensive colouration). Plus, the amazing advantage it has over the usual suspects is that it is CLOSED. Even with the small opening where the cables enter, the isolation is quite significant. Living in an apartment in NY as I do with significant ambient noise, a closed headphone that sounds as good if not better than my reference standards (the K701, which then sold in favour of my old standard, the 650) is a godsend.

The only issue I currently have with mine is something of a slight bass resonance and hence clouding on more complex, bass heavy material. But things seem to be only getting better with burn in, and I'm gold the usual mods help the bass definition somewhat.

AKG, why did you give up on these? Was this their top of the range headphone at the time? I believe it came before the K1K didn't it? What did it sell for?

Jun 3, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

I recently bought another k340 to keep as stock and it is the bass heavy version. Ive compared the stock k340 with my modded one and i still prefer the modded one. You are welcome to come over sometime to have a listen. We can do comparisons with your k1000 also.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back