K701 v K340
Jun 1, 2006 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

nm2285

100+ Head-Fier
Well I've found my one love in the K701. However, I've always wanted to try the K340. Has anyone heard both? Does anyone who has prefer the 340 to the 701?

Nick

Jun 1, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 62
philodox and aerius have heard the 701. Aerius has a thread on here about it. I believe they both prefer the K340 by a wide margin, but I don't want to put words in their mouths.

Jun 1, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 62
I think, like with all headphones, that you will have people on both sides arguing about their numerous virtues. I have owned both but the K-701 are long gone which I believe speaks to my preference.
340smile.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 62
Having heard both, I kinda think that the K701 is a fairly even middle of the road sort of sound, while the 340 has areas that truly shimmer. Not all 340s are created equal though. I know there have been a few people who have gotten ones that didn't live up to the reputation.

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 62
I liked my K340 when I had one, but it was unmodded and it was a bit lifeless in the bass (I had the less bassy version) and it's really hard to drive. In the end, I got rid of it, and the K701's are a better general use headphone and has a warmer character. I won't speak for other people with their headphile/modded ones, but my 701's are better than the K340's that I owned. K340's are like classic cars, if you can find the right specimen and are willing to restore them, it can be something special.

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 62
I have both, and I prefer the K701 to the K340, though not by a wide margin. Personally, I find the K701 to be more tonally balanced, but the K340 has a seductive midrange. That means both of these are keepers. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 62
I think you all know my answer here.
340smile.gif

That said, Mercuttio is correct that not all of them are created equal. If you get a good pair and put some work and/or money into them they can sound amazing.

I prefer mine to R10/Qualia/O2/K1000/etc and they were considerably cheaper even though I modded them to the ****. The only headphones that I've heard which could possibly sway me from the K340's is the HE90 and the PS1. I love the HP1000's, but I would still need another headphone as they don't work for all the types of music I listen to. Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
K340's are like classic cars, if you can find the right specimen and are willing to restore them, it can be something special.

Good analogy! I've always liked old muscle cars.
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
...even though I modded them to the ****.

Complete with wooden nipples? Is that what those are?

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 62
The question always comes down to this: What kind of sound do you want from a headphone?

If your priorities are flat frequency response and "neutrality" above all else, then stick to the K701 and forget the K340.

If you want detail resolution, smoothness, realism, and a nice full tone, the K340 will kick the crap out of the K701, but you give up flat frequency response.

Trade-offs. Given my preferences I'll take a K340 by a mile.

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
The question always comes down to this: What kind of sound do you want from a headphone?

If your priorities are flat frequency response and "neutrality" above all else, then stick to the K701 and forget the K340.

If you want detail resolution, smoothness, realism, and a nice full tone, the K340 will kick the crap out of the K701, but you give up flat frequency response.

Trade-offs. Given my preferences I'll take a K340 by a mile.

I'm not sure, from my listening with a pair of K340's with brand new drivers, I wouldn't say the frequency response is that far off flat. I do think however that the frequency perception is a little odd due to the fact that the HF driver is right by your ears, and the LF (not that low actually, most of the music is coming form the LF dynamic driver) is situated behind the LF driver. The highs have a beautiful and organic immediacy about them, however the dynamically driven frequencies to me are somewhat slow and disconnected from the electrostatic frequencies. Just my current opinion, and will of course keep burning them in.

What exactly do all the passive drivers do, and why are they buried underneath the ear pads? I'm going to try the velour ear pads anyway because the stock ones really aren't comfortable enough for me.

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 62
The passive diaphragms accomplish the crossover between the two drivers... the electrical board is actually just for feeding the electret AFAIK.

Jun 1, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 62
Don't listen to Philodox or Aerius, they are both biased.
very_evil_smiley.gif

You can trust me though, when I say the akg701 sucks in comparison.
tongue.gif

Biggie.

Jun 1, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 62
Listened to both and i own a k501. Lets just say they both have their place in the world. Taste, it all depends on your taste buds!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back