K701 - The nicest phones I've hated
Nov 9, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #31 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly, I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing you good luck in finding the best cans for you, but if you post about half of the statements you have here, it shouldn't be surprising if others respond to those claims irrespective of their usefulness to your situation, right?

There was certainly much in the way of polemic in my initial post and the pot-stirs that followed, though in part that was because it just seems that well-thought out and polite posts or queries get ignored. And, well, it worked
smily_headphones1.gif

I can say that either the k701's are not inefficient and boring, -or- inefficient and require extreme amplification. If either are true, I need to look elsewhere (and will
smily_headphones1.gif
). Either I'll never like how they sound or I'd have to upgrade something that I have no plans to upgrade, so I'll not like them anytime soon.

No disrespect to the k701 aficionados, of course - they can just call my beyers colored
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #32 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm....the K701 is my next projected headphone purchase to compare against the ATH-A700 which is my current set of cans.

Does anyone have any experience pushing these headphones with a Firestone Cute Beyond and would they care to share their impressions?

I don't have experience with the Cute Beyond, but I will say that there are some headphones, the K701 being one, that simply don't "show their stuff" until paired with higher-end amps and sources. That's not to say they can't be enjoyed, but like the op experienced, they often disappoint, sounding thin and cold with the wrong gear. If you're still determined to try them out, know, like others have suggested to the op, that if you are getting the K701s, you really need to think of the total system, even if that means getting the headphones first and planning to ugrade components later. The K701s are wonderful headphones, but people really need to start researching what people are talking about when they refer to the K701 sound, especially in terms of amplification, before investing. Soundcards, portable amps and most (not all) entry-level home amps simply don't do them justice.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #33 of 108
a. K701 need burn in (300 hours minimum)
Make burn in with heavy bass music (expl: House Music)
b. K701 need decent amplifier (expl: Heed Canamp)

With these conditions you can enjoy K701 a lot!

I own K701 and Heed Canamp and I can say that its a wonderfull set!
Cheers
Rui

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #34 of 108
amps, like boomana has stated above, make a world of difference with the k701. the gs-1, in all its uncolored "let the source shine through" glory, made the k701 sound very analytic with tons of detail, and a nice soundstage. i was using the da-100 as my source then...

switch to the yamamoto ha-02 and you get an entirely different sound. warm mids, somewhat colored, but very different than the gs-1. i liked the k701 out of both, but for different reasons. while the yamamoto/k701 pairing isn't one people automatically suggest, i really liked the pairing and would have been very happy with it had i not changed to a different setup. so yes, source and amps can make a very difference with these headphones.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #35 of 108
You don't need to spend a lot on an amp to get a good result with the K701.
I use a Little Dot Mk1 portable amp which uses some generally regarded as state of the art ICs. It sounds it too!

It's good enough that I don't long for any better amplification at the moment. It really sounds astonishing.

But, the sounds also depends a lot on the recording. Some awful shrill "digital" (in the bad sense) recordings won't sound nice on the K701.

P.S: Cleaning the contacts can make an astonishing difference too to the sound.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #36 of 108
I'll just repeat what others have said:

1) the K701 need lots of burn-in

2) they need a really good amp behind them

3) they need a good source

In other words, you haven't really heard them yet, and therefore can't dismiss them yet, especially not lightly.

I'm just trying to prevent you from going back-and-forth the way I and others have, meaning running through tons of different headphones, wondering why you never experience the intense pleasure that others on Head-Fi seemingly do, all while wasting money here, money there, trying this, trying that, and ending up thinking people here are nuts.
biggrin.gif

If you get a nice Grado or an HD650, they'll sound just about as lifeless, in their own ways, as the K701.................at least in the way you've tried the K701.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #38 of 108
I am using K701's with a Graham Slee Solo and a Creek Evo CDP. Prior to buying the AKG's i was using HD650's. I loved the HD650's....but I love the 701's more...the more i use them, the more i love them. Compared to the HD650 the bass is a wee bit lighter but also more accurate to my ears. Mids and treble are sweet. They only get better as they burn in too.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #39 of 108
I was interested in getting a K701 until I recently tried them out in a store in Cambridge. I found them to be a little boring. I couldn't really find anything wrong with them... just didn't get very excited by them. I haven't much of an urge to buy one anymore (thank goodness). Unfortunately, I cannot remember what int amp/cd player I tried them with.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #40 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"400hours later, they are far better than my sr225's."

That's not such a great endorsement.

- augustwest

It wasn't supposed to be. I just gave him a comparison. The AKG only cost me $40 more than the 225, the difference in quality and sound far exceeds that difference in price.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #41 of 108
Several times I have been told that the AKG K701 had a "doll" sound. As many other head-fiers have written, the K701 need a good source and a good amp. Tried them with a Musical Fidelity CD player and a Sugden Headmaster. That didn´t do the job. Now I use a Wadia 302 / 581i and a Rudistor RP7-B. Thats a totally different ballgame. Lots of deep controlled / fast bass (if its on the recording). Smoothe detailed treble, pleasent midrange and a big soundstage. You won´t get anything out of the K701 if you plug them into your MP3 player (I tried it), but if the rest of your equipment is "OK", you will be rewarded with very nice sound.

Its also true that the burn in time is quite long.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #42 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was interested in getting a K701 until I recently tried them out in a store in Cambridge. I found them to be a little boring. I couldn't really find anything wrong with them... just didn't get very excited by them. I haven't much of an urge to buy one anymore (thank goodness). Unfortunately, I cannot remember what int amp/cd player I tried them with.

This kind of test means almost nothing.
Most equipment can sound awful partnered with the wrong stuff.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #43 of 108
Oh right, I forgot that I also tried them with my Ipod/ALO LOD cable/Hornet M portable setup and also was not so keen on them. Maybe I'll have to give them another chance when I am itching to buy another pair of cans. They were super comfortable (unlike Grados even with flats) and sounded very clean!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloding /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This kind of test means almost nothing.
Most equipment can sound awful partnered with the wrong stuff.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #44 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh right, I forgot that I also tried them with my Ipod/ALO LOD cable/Hornet M portable setup and also was not so keen on them. Maybe I'll have to give them another chance when I am itching to buy another pair of cans. They were super comfortable (unlike Grados even with flats) and sounded very clean!

I think most of the critique of various headphones have to do with not being used to the EQ of that particular headphone. It takes some time to get used to the K701s and start to appreciate the huge sound stage you can get with the right loudness level, front end equipment and source material.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #45 of 108
I've only listened to K701 for a VERY brief stint and didn't enjoy it.

I will however say, if the K501 is of ANY indication of how these cans react to amplification, have fun with that...cause that's a more expensive journey than I'm willing to travel.

At the Florida Mini Meet, I plugged in the K501s to a PRII and they sounded great, then the Mxp3 amp with that Denon table and it was crazy, like a TOTALLY different headphone. I don't know if I'de be willing to venture into having to find something that has to have a crazy amount of power to drive cans that change that dramatically, cause you never know What you'll get with each amp.....screw that mess. Talk about a hassle. It sounded good, but no thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back