K701 - The nicest phones I've hated
Nov 9, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #17 of 108
I'm still in the process of breaking in my 701's (about 100 hours). Today, however, my lunchbox2 arrived and I can tell you that I greatly prefer the 701's with a tube amp to ss. I'm going to wait another week or so before I post more detailed notes, but so far the different amp has made an important difference, and I think the combination sounds great.

Nov 9, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #18 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still in the process of breaking in my 701's (about 100 hours). Today, however, my lunchbox2 arrived and I can tell you that I greatly prefer the 701's with a tube amp to ss. I'm going to wait another week or so before I post more detailed notes, but so far the different amp has made an important difference, and I think the combination sounds great.

Another convert to tubes. The 701s need a warm amp and good current to wake up. These hps don't do well with marginal equipment. Like the HD650s, the 701s scale well with better equipment.

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #19 of 108
Ultimately, I think I'm going to let them go. I may be more of a basshead than I thought.
basshead.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #20 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am aware of that, but I can't imagine blowing another several hundred will "fix" the k701's to any appreciable degree.

At least, not like blowing several hundred on a different pair of headphones.

This is most definitely true. I think you would still find detractions with most amps at the several hundred dollar level, and you could get another pair of headphones sounding optimal with your existing equipment.

After trying several amps with the K701 including the Darkvoice 336i and M^3, I don't think I would be satisfied longterm with anything less than the Cayin.

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #21 of 108
You're not the only one.
Ok, hate is a strong word. But I really don't like them either...

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #22 of 108
Quote:

Ultimately, I think I'm going to let them go. I may be more of a basshead than I thought.
basshead.gif

It have been told so many time that the AKG K701 need a very powerful amp before you get the benefit out of these amazing headphone, they have all the bass you need, and a midrange that's beats all other headphone I have heard.
The top are so sweet and wonderful as it can be, there are absolutely no harsh sound just smoothness.
So get out and spend some money at a new head-amp, before you let them go. I can a sure you, you will not regret it

Best regards,

Torben

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #23 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glowing-Tube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So get out and spend some money at a new head-amp, before you let them go. I can a sure you, you will not regret it

I might
smily_headphones1.gif

I can appreciate that they would benefit from more serious amplification, but I doubt that an amp would greatly change their overall sound signature, unless the amp itself was quite colored.

I will say that they are probably the smoothest and most well-behaved phones that I just don't like
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #24 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glowing-Tube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It have been told so many time that the AKG K701 need a very powerful amp before you get the benefit out of these amazing headphone, they have all the bass you need, and a midrange that's beats all other headphone I have heard.
The top are so sweet and wonderful as it can be, there are absolutely no harsh sound just smoothness.

Best regards,

Torben

This is quite true from my own experience, I used Laconic HA-03M(similar to Edddie Current EC-01), initially I am afraid the amp is too strong for AKG K701's low impedance, but it's not.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #25 of 108
ive listened to the k701 on only the more expensive amps (maxed headroom balanced desktop amp, zana deux, opera, etc) and they do sound great. thing is, bassheads are sure to want more bass. for the money, i'd look for another headphone.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #26 of 108
Quote:

I might
smily_headphones1.gif

I can appreciate that they would benefit from more serious amplification, but I doubt that an amp would greatly change their overall sound signature, unless the amp itself was quite colored.

I will say that they are probably the smoothest and most well-behaved phones that I just don't like
smily_headphones1.gif

Well,
He tried them and they are not his flavor. Many have not liked them. I think your Beyer target is stronger in the bass dept. Also consider an Ultrasone as they are also strong in the bass range.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #27 of 108
The K701s may not be for you in the end, and the 0404 is a great DAC (and low impendance amp) for its great price , but I wouldn't think of it as "blowing another several hundred will fix the K701s" and instead that "you're eyes are bigger than your stomach" as you're trying to great sound without paying the price. The 0404 just ain't up to the duty of any power hungry phones and the K701 impedance is a bit of an illusion as they're very power hungry.

Really I prefer several phones to the K701s, but I'd say some of your phrases are a bit off of where the problem is. Off base for great sound... maybe not off bass.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #28 of 108
Hmmm....the K701 is my next projected headphone purchase to compare against the ATH-A700 which is my current set of cans.

Does anyone have any experience pushing these headphones with a Firestone Cute Beyond and would they care to share their impressions?

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #29 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701s may not be for you in the end, and the 0404 is a great DAC (and low impendance amp) for its great price , but I wouldn't think of it as "blowing another several hundred will fix the K701s" and instead that "you're eyes are bigger than your stomach" as you're trying to great sound without paying the price. The 0404 just ain't up to the duty of any power hungry phones and the K701 impedance is a bit of an illusion as they're very power hungry.

Really I prefer several phones to the K701s, but I'd say some of your phrases are a bit off of where the problem is. Off base for great sound... maybe not off bass.
wink.gif

It may well be that the 0404 just is poorly suited to the k701's - that still makes them a bad choice for me as a separate, dedicated (and high-power) headphone amp is unpractical for me these days.

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #30 of 108
I never doubted the outcome, just your rather strong claims getting there. Again in the end to the question if the phone is the correct one for you, by default you're going to be right, it's just your phrasing about the inherent qualities of the phone can be all wrong.

"The K701's aren't inefficient, just boring." They may or may not be boring (you choose there), but you're incorrect about them being inefficient, which just leads others to doubt the boring claim being accurate. And of course those have nothing to do with each other, expect when being underpowered, which is the reason of some of the responses you've got.

Certainly, I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing you good luck in finding the best cans for you, but if you post about half of the statements you have here, it shouldn't be surprising if others respond to those claims irrespective of their usefulness to your situation, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back