K701 - The nicest phones I've hated
Jan 8, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #106 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent points. I wish we could put this on a sticky.

Dumping bad sound in favor of good (natural) sound is like dieting. You resist at first but then you eventually see what was poisoning you and making you feel like crap, even though you didn't realize it.

I'd only agree to a point - eventually "my rig is more accurate than yours" becomes a status war and not at all about music anymore. Any headphone that makes someone listen to music less is bad, imho. For some, that is a k701 - others, an hd650.

But if pressed to pick between fun -or- accurate, I'd always pick fun. Thankfully they are not (necessarily) mutually exclusive most of the time.

It is audio, after all; not a religion.

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #107 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd only agree to a point - eventually "my rig is more accurate than yours" becomes a status war and not at all about music anymore. Any headphone that makes someone listen to music less is bad, imho. For some, that is a k701 - others, an hd650.

I agree here. If someone doesn't like the same gear as you get over it. You may find it perfect, but not everyone will. Not a big deal really, the only ears that matter are your's. This is one reason so many headphones are recommended on these boards.

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #108 of 108
Quote:

-eventually "my rig is more accurate than yours" becomes a status war and not at all about music anymore.

Once again, not what I said or even implied. I merely pointed out that using the colorations of a headphone to "fix" upstream problems in the source or amplification is a fundamentally flawed concept. I don't for a moment expect everyone to like the AKGs for the same reason people "listen" for different reasons and in different ways. In fact , I would suggest that many people don't really listen at all and for them music is just a way of distracting their thoughts. The issue isn't that anyone should or shouldn't like any particular piece of equipment or subscribe to any particular philosophy, it's that for some people audio equipment is a toy and for others it's a tool. If you prefer to play with a dull edged toy sword so you don't get cut that's fine... but don't claim the real thing is flawed when it's really just too sharp to "play" with.

Quote:

It's also not a arbitrary fantasy world where anyone can claim black is white just because only "their" eyes really count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back