K701 or DT880 or something else for vocal and details??
May 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Noobiiee

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I know some of you might have been bored to death by this question, but I'm in the same dilema now. I'm looking for something more neutral with more extensive soundstage than the HD650. Most important criteria are:
- Details
- Vocals
- Realistic soundstage
- Neutral sounding
- Price: ~150GBP ($200)

So far, the DT880 and K701 seems to fit the bills the most but I don't know which one to go for?? 
I tried the K601, absolutely love the lush vocals and soundstage but the rolled-off highs kinda put me off a bit. 
Thanks guys. 

May 26, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 38
If you can't get the 600 Ohm version, I'd stay away from the DT880.
Being used to the HD650, the DT880 / 250 Ohm version would be quite a shock... and not in a good way.

shane

May 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 38
Good to know, there're not many used 600ohm version on sale these days so I might have to go for the K701 then. Looking at Headroom frequency charts, the K701 seems to have less recessed mids than the DT880/250ohm. 

May 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 38
Of course. Differences between HP's can seem obvious and even HUGE when going back and forth, but one thing to understand is that both or neither can be just fine overall.
I am not as familiar with the K701-2 as I am with the DT880's, but I can assure you that in general, to my ears the DT880 have no 'recessed mids'. They may not be 'as pronounced' as those in the K701-2, but they are far from lacking in the overall sound.

Of all the comments I've read about the DT880 (and I've read hundreds)... recessed mids is one that I can't remember ever seeing.

Also, when I mentioned that I would not recommend the DT880/250 ohm, it was not because of 'recessed mids'.

Look at everything 4khz up. This is where the biggest difference will be.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that he will also notice it in the low end. The DT880 (and maybe the k701) will seem very flat and maybe 'thin', but definitely bright, in comparison to the HD650.

shane

(though I have to say... this graph should just be taken for what it is... just one company's graph. But it serves a purpose for visual comparisons only)

May 26, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 38
So DT880's mids is less pronounced, point taken. So DT880/250 or K701? since I can't get my hands on the 600ohms any time soon plus all of my equipments are for <300ohm cans. 

May 26, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 38

Quote:
Good to know, there're not many used 600ohm version on sale these days so I might have to go for the K701 then. Looking at Headroom frequency charts, the K701 seems to have less recessed mids than the DT880/250ohm. 

Looking at this graph, I personally would prefer the DT 880. The bass rolls off less and the upper midrange is less pronounced leading to a smoother vocal performance without a lot of unwanted sibilance.

May 26, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 38
so DT880 is back in the race? 

May 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 38

Quote:

Looking at this graph, I personally would prefer the DT 880. The bass rolls off less and the upper midrange is less pronounced leading to a smoother vocal performance without a lot of unwanted sibilance.

+1

Ok, for what you asked:
- Details
- Vocals
- Realistic soundstage
- Neutral sounding

I think the DT880/600 Ohm is a match... but that's to my ears and what I feel is most neutral and natural and detailed and realistic. Also, and it can NOT be dismissed, it is with MY system. So as we say: YMMV.

And... again, I don't feel the same way about the 250 Ohm, or I would have kept them instead.
wink_face.gif

shane

May 26, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 38

Quote:

which is why you can't make statements like this from just looking at graphs. 

OP, the K601 is certainly not rolled off in the highs.  Niether is the K400, K401, K500, K501, or K701.  It may be that you want more treble than the K601 provides, but that doesn't mean it's rolled off. 

Have you considered grados?  I think you would love the sr325i, gorgeous vocals, and more treble than the K601.  The DT880 is not a headphone to get if your main priority is vocals, IMO

The grados don't have huge soundstage, but they do have great seperation, which allows them to sound natural.  But if you like your K601, but just want more treble, then the K701 would be a good choice.  They sound fairly similar. 

May 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 38

Quote:
The grados don't have huge soundstage, but they do have great seperation, which allows them to sound natural.  But if you like your K601, but just want more treble, then the K701 would be a good choice.  They sound fairly similar. 

That's exactly what I'm looking for! More refined and present highs than K601 with same vocal. K701 it is then! 
k701smile.gif

About Grados, I tried Alessandro MS1i and MS1000i, I understand why people love the Grado sound sig but my music doesn't suit the Grado sound sig much plus they're bluddy expensive in UK :frowning2: . I do listen to some blues like SRV or Albert King but that's about it. Rest of the time I listen to female vocals, hip-hop, indie and some alt rocks. I guess I'll add a pair of RS1 or MS Pro to my collection later when I have more cash + time to invest in a good collection of blues. 

May 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 38
Thought you'd find this interesting.

From another thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/492071/why-aren-t-head-fi-ers-more-excited-about-the-dt990-600/45#post_6667710

"I listen to Norah Jones and Diana Krall, Jane Monheit, and I have nothing but praise for the way the DT990/600 handles these voices.  Definitley nothing uncomfortable IMHO.  The sound is airy, sparkling and detailed, witout any upper mid sibilance.   I did have some uncomfortable spikes with my old K701's, but not at all with the DT990."

shane

May 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 38

Quote:

That's exactly what I'm looking for! More refined and present highs than K601 with same vocal. K701 it is then! 
k701smile.gif

About Grados, I tried Alessandro MS1i and MS1000i, I understand why people love the Grado sound sig but my music doesn't suit the Grado sound sig much plus they're bluddy expensive in UK :frowning2: . I do listen to some blues like SRV or Albert King but that's about it. Rest of the time I listen to female vocals, hip-hop, indie and some alt rocks. I guess I'll add a pair of RS1 or MS Pro to my collection later when I have more cash + time to invest in a good collection of blues. 

Man, I can't imagine listening to hip hop with a K601 or K701.  But if that light and airy sound works for you, there's nothing else like it.  The K701 I believe has less bass than the K601, but I'm not that experienced with the 601.  I just know that it is warmer than the 701. 

DT880 has more bass than both, and a similar treble presence to the K701 from memory.  I would think they would be better cans for hippity hop.  Maybe get them both used, and sell the one you don't like as much at minimal loss

edit:  what didn't you like about the ms1 by the way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back