K701 or DT880 or something else for vocal and details??
May 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #16 of 38
i personally can't fully enjoy heavy vocal peices with the k701s, i think the voice is pushed a bit too far back, and it loses its luster.

May 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 38
For vocals and details, go with the K 702, they are more balanced compared to the 880 and they don't have the piercing treble of the 880 and overall more detailed with better depth in the image.

May 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #18 of 38

Quote:
Man, I can't imagine listening to hip hop with a K601 or K701.  But if that light and airy sound works for you, there's nothing else like it.  The K701 I believe has less bass than the K601, but I'm not that experienced with the 601.  I just know that it is warmer than the 701. 

DT880 has more bass than both, and a similar treble presence to the K701 from memory.  I would think they would be better cans for hippity hop.  Maybe get them both used, and sell the one you don't like as much at minimal loss

edit:  what didn't you like about the ms1 by the way?

That's what the HD650 is for :D. If I need to listen to some hip-hop, the bass thump of the HD650 would do the job. How're you finding HD600 with hip-hop?
I'm actually questioning the needs for a second pair of phones now since the HD650 has already satisfied all of my needs apart from neutrality.
confused_face_2.gif
 Would HD600 solve the problem, being the jack of all trades?? 

About the MS1i, they're a nice pair of phones with amazing guitar sounds and beautiful male vocal but its comfort is horrible. I tried mod it to MS1000 to improve the comfort but the magic mids just disappear and the treble gets more annoying. 

Quote:
For vocals and details, go with the K 702, they are more balanced compared to the 880 and they don't have the piercing treble of the 880 and overall more detailed with better depth in the image.

I heard K702 have the same specs as K701 apart from the detachable cable and black paint?? 

Quote:
i personally can't fully enjoy heavy vocal peices with the k701s, i think the voice is pushed a bit too far back, and it loses its luster.

I found the opposite in K601 as the vocal is placed in front of other instruments....

May 26, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #19 of 38
Since you mentioned them...
I think the HD600's are great. They are relaxing, soothing, smooth and extremely enjoyable.
Vocals for me were warm and rich and lucious.

What I didn't care for was how early the highs were rolled-off. I felt that they missed a lot of the detail and clarity that makes music come alive (no, I'm not talking about 'live' music).

But hey... they may work just fine for hip-hop. I wouldn't know.
redface.gif

shane

May 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #20 of 38
that sounds like the HD650 to me 
biggrin.gif
 I remember from reading somewhere that the HD650 has better response across the spectrum but HD600 is more neutral and versatile.  

May 26, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #22 of 38
FWIW Amy Lee seems to like the K701,,, wonder if she's using an amp?

I've owned both and currently have the K702 but will probably sell them as I save up for the HD800. There are things I like about both... the K702 has a better soundstage and more airy presentation, but there is something somewhat unnatural about their character that I like and dislike at the same time. The bass could use some help but all in all I find them more engaging to listen to than the DT880 but the DT880 more forgiving for a variety of genres with a more natural organic overall signature.

May 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #23 of 38
Wakeride, 24 is sick and Jack Bauer kicks arses! 
biggrin.gif

Think I'm gonna get a pair of used K701 to try it out and minimise the loss if I don't like it. The DT880 will probably have to wait until I have a job and can afford a 600ohm manufaktur pair. 
I'll also try out a pair of HD600 in the near future, they might replace all K701, HD650 or DT880 as the only one to have. Who knows?! 

May 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #24 of 38

I own the DT880 and borrowed the K701 for just over a week. For acoustical, country, jazz and classical, I definitely prefer the K701, but their soundstage does seem fake, it is too large imo. There is a lot more treble in the K701 and it sounds a lot more bright then the DT880 600ohm (both stock), but the vocals sound better than the DT880. The only reason I keep my DT880 is because they do every genre I have listened to so far well and are also decent gaming headphones. They are my all-in-one headphone.

May 27, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #25 of 38

Quote:
Wakeride, 24 is sick and Jack Bauer kicks arses! 
biggrin.gif

Think I'm gonna get a pair of used K701 to try it out and minimise the loss if I don't like it. The DT880 will probably have to wait until I have a job and can afford a 600ohm manufaktur pair. 
I'll also try out a pair of HD600 in the near future, they might replace all K701, HD650 or DT880 as the only one to have. Who knows?! 

Well you didn't mention you had an HD650 and liked them.  I'd say you should definitely try an HD600.  Same general sound as the HD650, but less bass, and more treble.  I find that they aren't quite as refined as the HD650, but I think on most budget or modest systems, the HD600 will sound more balanced. 

I don't listen to hip hop so I can't say.  I try, and I've been recommended heaps of stuff, but I just don't get it to be honest. 

May 27, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #27 of 38

Quote:
Well you didn't mention you had an HD650 and liked them.  I'd say you should definitely try an HD600.  Same general sound as the HD650, but less bass, and more treble.  I find that they aren't quite as refined as the HD650, but I think on most budget or modest systems, the HD600 will sound more balanced. 

I don't listen to hip hop so I can't say.  I try, and I've been recommended heaps of stuff, but I just don't get it to be honest. 

I'll defo try it if got a good offer. For now I'm still enjoying the creamy sound of HD650 
biggrin.gif
 About hip-hop, it's like marmite, some loves it, some hates it, inbetweeners are simply mainstream followers. Indeed it should be the exact opposite of what audiophiles would want, since a rapper would only need a mic with a some simple 1 2 3 beats instead of sophisticated instruments being recorded in studio or concert hall through high quality equipments. Hence, almost any sound system could be sufficient to play hip-hop music, even an ipod running through ibuds since its audience only cares about what the guy is saying, most of them would not bother what the hell is being played on the background 
smile_phones.gif
. This is what early hip-hop would look like. Of course, hiphop records nowadays is engineered properly like other type of music but my point is, it doesn't require a top-notch systems to listen to hip-hop (as long as there's some bass present 
L3000.gif
 ). 

May 27, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #28 of 38

Quote:
+1

Ok, for what you asked:
- Details
- Vocals
- Realistic soundstage
- Neutral sounding

I think the DT880/600 Ohm is a match... but that's to my ears and what I feel is most neutral and natural and detailed and realistic. Also, and it can NOT be dismissed, it is with MY system. So as we say: YMMV.

And... again, I don't feel the same way about the 250 Ohm, or I would have kept them instead.
wink_face.gif

shane

Realistic soundstage to a point...both the K701 and the DT880 (no matter what version) have soundstage flaws.
The K701 has a unrealistic 'tweak' of the extreme left and extreme right soundstages while the DT880 suffers from a lack of soundstage depth. Imaging is better on the DT880.
But yes, the DT880 is more detailed than the K701 + less of a pain to run + more balanced sounding.

May 27, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #29 of 38

Quote:
The K701 has a unrealistic 'tweak' of the extreme left and extreme right soundstages while the DT880 suffers from a lack of soundstage depth. Imaging is better on the DT880.
But yes, the DT880 is more detailed than the K701 + less of a pain to run + more balanced sounding.

Exactly the other way around.

May 27, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #30 of 38

Quote:
Realistic soundstage to a point...both the K701 and the DT880 (no matter what version) have soundstage flaws.

Better balanced I would probably agree, more detailed no, K701 takes the cake on that, less of a pain to run = wash, imaging = depends greatly on what's being played. Just my 2¢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back