K701 kind of fatiguing
Jul 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mike1127

Member of the Trade: Brilliant Zen Audio
Okay, so I've broken in the K701 for 400-450 hours now. I think they are filling out nicely. I am really impressed by their resolution, definition, and "you-are-there-ness". However, I have noticed that I get fatigued by the highs quickly. After about ten minutes of listening, there is something around 2KHz that I just can't take any more.

My setup is
Naim CD5x -> Sonett SET tube amp -> K701

Does the fatigue come from my amp or CD player? Not likely from the CD player.. it's very lovely with most things.

The amp is very extended on top which COULD contribute to fatiguing highs in a bad match with a headphone. Also, the amp has a higher output impedance than many solid-state headphone amps. It has selectable 29 Ohm and 120 Ohm output impedance. It could be that the K701 really needs a different output impedance (either higher or lower).

The same amp with the K601 is not fatiguing at all. I could listen to that for hours.

I prefer the definition and resolution of the K701 over the K601, so I just wish I could tame those highs in the presence region. I don't know for sure where the fatigue is, but probably somewhere between 1Khz and 4Khz.

During the meet today, I noticed that some amps and DACs are also quite hot in this region. With my K601, the Zana Deux was one of these amps. It creates a very impressive first impression... really grabs you, and excites you with high resolution. But it is fatiguing.

Perhaps some people lilke this and have no problem with it. Perhaps it's just me.

I am wondering if a recable or some other mod to the K701 would tame the highs. I don't mean that the highs have to come down in amplitude. It's okay to be bright. I mean there is some kind of hardness or fatiguing factor in the highs. Do you "get" what I mean? There is a difference between "bright" and fatiguing.

Thanks,
Mike

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 17
I felt the same when I had my K701 even though my equipment differs. The highs wouldn't pierce exactly, but I just felt that there was an uncomfortable, and definitely unnatural, pressure in the air. And as a result, I attributed such to too much treble energy.

One of the reasons I've switched to an HD600 and haven't looked back.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 17
I could definitely listen to my 601s for hours on end without becoming fatigued, but I listen to my other phones when I want something with more oomph for the heavier stuff in my musical collection. I'm sure that a better amp would bring more out of them, but my GF has her hands firmly on my wallet atm.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 17
The higher mids and the lower treble are definitely a bit emphasized with the K 701, but this emphasis is considerably lowered by further break-in – not of the drivers, but the earpads. Their initial stiffness will fade away with use, and the softening will bring the drivers closer to the ears, which leads to a change of sonic balance in favor of bass and lower mids.

You can anticipate the effect by pressing the earpieces against your head during listening.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 17
i listen to K701 with low volume, i enjoy it much more that way and don't get fatigued by highs.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 17
Mike1127, what kind of music do you listen to? I love my K701s but can't listen to much guitar based rock with them because of the upper mid / lower treble emphasis. The 701s are great with classical, jazz, and other acoustic music when paired with a good amp.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listen to K701 with low volume, i enjoy it much more that way and don't get fatigued by highs.

I second that, I listen to my K701 in low volumes and sometimes high volumes on really good songs and don't find the sound to be fatiguing.
It ranks from Red Hot Chili Peppers to Blink 182 to Foo Fighters all of very nice in the highs.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 17
I have the K702's and I don't find the highs to be fatiguing with most of my music. There are some songs however that are fatiguing. I attribute that more to a poor recording/rip of the song.

Most of the stuff I have in AIFF sounds wonderful. However there are just some recordings that are treble heavy and they are fatiguing. But I attribute that more to the fact that the K701's/K702's give you an accurate presentation of the recording.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-DiV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mike1127, what kind of music do you listen to? I love my K701s but can't listen to much guitar based rock with them because of the upper mid / lower treble emphasis. The 701s are great with classical, jazz, and other acoustic music when paired with a good amp.

Mostly classical. Most instruments which play in the mid to upper registers trigger energy in this "fatigue region." Piano is especially bothersome because the attacks feel slightly hardened. But other instruments trigger the fatigue, including strings and brass.

Let me remind everyone that the output impedance of my amp may be a critical factor. (selectable 120 ohm or 29 ohm). The tonal balance of a headphone can change dramatically when you change output impedance. In my case, the fatigue-factor is better on the 120 ohm setting, but still very obvious. Other amps used by people on the forum here may have higher or lower output impedances than these.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 17
I felt like this with two pairs of k701s, one "broken in" for over 1000 hours of time, out of a variety of amps and receivers. A direct comparison with an HD650 or k601 made it even more clear. A K701 can even make Boards of Canada fatiguing to my ears.

My guess is it is more of an issue for younger listeners or those who otherwise have most of their high frequency hearing left.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 17
I think that even your ears will differ from someone else's.

I know too that because of the 701's attention to all of the nuances of a recording, often harsh production values can be reproduced exactly, something that can be fatiguing..especially on newer records. Recently, there's been a leaning toward the high end in sound engineering(who told the kick drum it could be a snare?), I think, that the 701 will reproduce exactly.

But then, the sound signature of the phones themselves doesn't really help either.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A K701 can even make Boards of Canada fatiguing to my ears.

Hehehe, you always can change to Biosphere, or mouse on mars.

I do agree with JaZZ on a bit emphasized on the higher mids by 1 - 3 db.

Most of the speakers and even monitor speakers have some emphasized on the mids. lol, just keeps the natural sound energize and positive on the bright side.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 17
Curiously, at the Mini Mega meet yesterday I found the Zana Deux + K601 to have a similar fatiguing factor. (I forget what the source was.) It initially was very impressive with great presence and resolution, but became fatiguing in a similar way.

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 17
I received my K701's already broken in, however it took me a bit of time to adjust to the sound signature of the K701, at times it did get fatiguing and slightly uncomfortable, at which point I would take a short break from the music. After about a week of continual use I was accustomed to their sound signature and haven't had a problem with fatigue since, listening to music for many hours.

The slight discomfort I experienced at times in the beginning was definitely worth it, once you get accustomed to them you will have a hard time getting them off your head
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back