K701 fans/critics?
Jul 18, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #31 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
but is it really worth it? . . . I forsee this becomming a very pertinent question to quite a number of us

I was just kidding, I can live without 4 extra dollars.
tongue.gif
Makes me wonder how low the price will go though...anyone considering the AD2K might want to monitor this thing.

Jul 18, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #32 of 91
Since it is so difficult to find a used pair of AD2000's, maybe that's a good sign - that they're that good?? I have a trade listing for some in exchange for my K701's plus whatever. No replys or PM's.

At +/- $500, I think I'll take the plunge sooner or later. If they aren't for me, I'll be able to sell them for almost that much here, or on Stinkbay. Really no more expensive that an HD650 and a decent cable.

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #33 of 91
I gave the K701 a good 4 week trial. To be honest, I couldn't enjoy any of my music with the K701. By the end of the 4 week trial it was a great relief to return to my previous headphones. It was a disappointment because the initial reviews were so positive. For an airy/neutral sound I much prefer the Stax SR-404 which is a headphone I did enjoy except for the comfort.

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #34 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I too prefer the 600 to the 650 for the same reasons you mentioned. I feel the K701 and Senn 600/Cardas is pretty even as far as my preference. The K701 gets the edge because of the soundstage and better refinement but timbre, bass, and weight definately go to Senn 600. Don't think because the Senn 600 is old that it can't compete. That WOULD BE "flavor of the month" thinking or "newer must be better" mentality. Those beating the drum about the 600 a few years ago about being better than the RS-1 because it is more accurate and nuetral are now leaving the 600 in the dust saying they prefer the 650 because of it's coloration???? Anything to support their pride of owning the flagship - another example of "flavor of the month". I'm not talking about the ones that simply prefer the 650, but the ones that will change their argument to support their cause.

I don't think there is as much conspiracy as is being implied by this thread. There were a few people who said this is the best headphone they've heard. But most of us said it's priced right and may even be better than it's price. Like other phones it has characteristics that cause some to love it and some not to. BTW, who was the one that said these are better than HE-90, K1000, R10? Doesn anyone remember?

The GS-1000 bashing has already started (The SHURE will be next). But who cares they sound great!!! There always seems to be an element of jelousy when something is bashed. Not to confuse bashing with "I like this about it and not that about it".

All in all, the K701 is a technically competetent headphone with a slightly analytical sound. Don't mistake that for a flaw.

So, buy away assuming the "airy" and slightly "glossed over" sound is ok. The criticisms are minor compared to the majority of stuff it does well.

Clean out your PM box bro.

To the OP: I think the K701s are great for jazz. I do not like them for rock right now as they seem to be a bit slow with some recordings. Female vocals sound amazing to me with the AKGs though.

Jul 18, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #35 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Clean out your PM box bro.

To the OP: I think the K701s are great for jazz. I do not like them for rock right now as they seem to be a bit slow with some recordings. Female vocals sound amazing to me with the AKGs though.

Whoops! Ok got your PM and replied
redface.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #36 of 91
would it be fair to say that with a tube preamp, tube headphone amp(singlepower ppx3) and playing vinyl most of the time, the k701 would offer a better match for rock and jazz over the hd650? i own 650's and like them, but they do sound a bit too soft sometimes. would appreciate any thoughts.

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #37 of 91
Even though I'm a recent (and pleased) AD2000 user, I believe that both phones have a real place.

I love the K701 for classical and general listening though, like some, I could use extra punch sometimes. Still, I'm always pleased by their excellent build, refined sound, and general good looks; having them on my desktop is a real pleasure - an experience I've yet to equal with another phone. (I don't own the woody Audio Technicas.)

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #38 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman
I gave the K701 a good 4 week trial. To be honest, I couldn't enjoy any of my music with the K701. By the end of the 4 week trial it was a great relief to return to my previous headphones. It was a disappointment because the initial reviews were so positive. For an airy/neutral sound I much prefer the Stax SR-404 which is a headphone I did enjoy except for the comfort.

i was the same way also. after about 300hrs of burn in, i gave them a few weeks trial and walked away from them. i guess i can see why some people like them but to me they were quite boring.

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #39 of 91
In regard to your specific criticism of the HD650, I think the K701 will offer an improvement. The HD650 is significantly warmer/mushier/softer than the K701.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sberger
would it be fair to say that with a tube preamp, tube headphone amp(singlepower ppx3) and playing vinyl most of the time, the k701 would offer a better match for rock and jazz over the hd650? i own 650's and like them, but they do sound a bit too soft sometimes. would appreciate any thoughts.

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #40 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
(JaZZ, you still listening to them?
tongue.gif
)

Yes, I am -- it's still my favorite headphone, and still I think it's one of the most neutral and natural sounding heaphones around, at least to my ears. The criticisms in terms of lacking bass slam, too much airiness and the like seem like the wish for a sound that's different than in real life, particularly for a compensation for the principally lacking visceral impact in the bass. In fact there's all bass slam and impact I need for a completely natural reproduction in my setup. Everything else would be an exaggeration. And the spatial reproduction, as 3-dimensional as it is -- lacks any artificiality in the form of echo or reverberative effects -- the notes appear as rock solid, like written in stone. It's still the ideal headphone for me in my system and leaves no wishes. (While my fine electrostats are collecting dust...)

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #41 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Heh, just the normal run of things here at Head-Fi. In other words, the FOTM cycle is working right on schedule flawlessly. Just watch, I predict that in 3 months' time, GS1000-bashing threads will come up, and in six months' time, the E500-bashing threads will come up. It's just the same ol' same ol' story.

He might be on to something. MMMMM.

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #42 of 91
I waited a long time to get my Black Dragon AKG 701 and I love it! It absolutely corrects the faults of the Senn 650 without introducing any of its own.

Mine is far from completely burned in and on my rig the typical complaints just don't exist. The bass level and slam is perfect. Siblance isn't emphasised even during siblant passages. On tunes with no siblance... there still isn't any
blink.gif

The speed and natural presentation is awesome. Hands down the fastest headphone I've owned especially in the bass region. The SRV-Little Wing is just scary real surpassing the Grado RS1 by providing greater dynamic range and a certain sweetness to the song.

I hope it only gets better as I approach the 300 hours mark when I sit down and do an side by side with the Senn 650.

I do have 1 issue though, the auto-sizing feature only allows for a small range of head sizes. I am at the absolute max of its range and would really like another 1cm to drop the pads a touch further and reduce the pressure on top. Its not uncomfortable but does leave an interesting impression on my head
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #43 of 91
love mine on my LD III amp. Find them to be great cans for the price I paid for them. Honestly very happy with them.

IMHO there is NO "perfect" can. A person can find something wrong with even the most expensive cans... so I judge my cans by "sound value for the money".

The K701's rank right up at the top.

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #44 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I'm still a fan. They're the only headphone I've had that convinced me to pretty much sell off everything else (CD3K, RS-1s, RS-2s)... I just never found myself wanting to listen to anything else.

Oh, fine, when I need a close headphone, that's a different story.
biggrin.gif

Funny I feel the same way. My Senns were sold off immediately after I heard the K701, and the SA5ks eventually followed suit. I still have the HF-1 but that didn't/doesn't get any listening time anyway.

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #45 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
I do have 1 issue though, the auto-sizing feature only allows for a small range of head sizes. I am at the absolute max of its range and would really like another 1cm to drop the pads a touch further and reduce the pressure on top. Its not uncomfortable but does leave an interesting impression on my head
wink.gif

I love my K701. Before burn in they somehow hurt my ears (probably the treble harshness), but after burning them in for 500+ hours they are near perfect for my needs. I wouldn't say that they are really perfect, but they are the only headphones that didn't make me want to get something better.

However, I have the same issue as Solude. The K701 fits about right for me at the max size, but I do sometimes wonder whether it would feel better if the earcups could drop a little further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back