K701 compliment
Dec 2, 2011 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Seamless Sounds

Previously known as HeadFi Fanatic
I'm thinking about getting a used pair of headphones for Christmas to compliment my K701. I have 2 amps: Schiit Asgard and M³ w/ bass boost. I mainly use K701 for orchestral music, transcribing, and analyzing music. I would say they're pretty sterile and cold when it comes to musicality, but they do get the job done for my aforementioned purposes. Bass can somewhat be lacking in some recordings.

Now I need a headphone that is warmer and has more musicality to it. I would prefer if it doesn't sound too close to the K701.

Genre: J-pop, J-rock, and electronic dance music.
Budget: ~$200. I'll most likely buy used.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting a used pair of headphones for Christmas to compliment my K701. I have 2 amps: Schiit Asgard and M³ w/ bass boost. I mainly use K701 for orchestral music, transcribing, and analyzing music. I would say they're pretty sterile and cold when it comes to musicality, but they do get the job done for my aforementioned purposes. Bass can somewhat be lacking in some recordings.

Now I need a headphone that is warmer and has more musicality to it. I would prefer if it doesn't sound too close to the K701.

Genre: J-pop, J-rock, and electronic dance music.
Budget: ~$200. I'll most likely buy used.

Based on what you've said, I'd recommend something like a denon 2000 or even vmoda LP2 if you're going for full sized. Both have good bass, moreso with the LP2. To get the denon 2k, you'd have to buy used, the LP2 is 200 new.

You could always try the AiAiAi tma-1 (quite dark) or something along the lines of a HD 598 (open and full sized but has that signature senn sound).

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 14
Hello! I come from a classical music background, so I can relate a bit to what you are saying, especially as a prior 701 owner.  I'd echo the 598 suggestion. In fact, check out the sennheisers in general; if looking for clarity and decent soundstage, but with the edge off a bit, you may enjoy the sennheiser cans. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 14
I love my HD650s for the genres you mentioned.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 14
I've been contemplating on selling my K701 because of the bumps under the headband; I can literally feel the top part of my skull flattened, and it gives me a headache for prolonged wear. What headphone sounds close to K701? Beyer Dt880 (600 ohms), Senn HD600, or others? Bear in mind my first post (amp, genre, budget, etc.). Ultimately it mustn't sound too close to denon d2000, but it does have to have great instrument separation. Think in terms of studio.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 14
The HD600 might be a pretty good option if you want more bass than K701 but not as much as the HD650. I like the HD600's for electronic, k-pop, j-pop genres. It tends to have lighter sound and a little more speed. Vocals sound slightly more natural as well. All IMO of course.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
I've been contemplating on selling my K701 because of the bumps under the headband; I can literally feel the top part of my skull flattened, and it gives me a headache for prolonged wear. What headphone sounds close to K701? Beyer Dt880 (600 ohms), Senn HD600, or others? Bear in mind my first post (amp, genre, budget, etc.). Ultimately it mustn't sound too close to denon d2000, but it does have to have great instrument separation. Think in terms of studio.

There is another head-fi-er who had a recent post in regards to his daughter complaining of the bumps on the headband of 701 headphones. He created a great mod you may be interested in.  ::wink::

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580894/what-happens-when

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 14
What you are describing is easily the HD600/650. The HD650 in particular makes a great complement to the AKG. If those go over your budget, the HD598 is your next best option. For ~$200, a used HD600 seems to be the way to go though. Truly a superb phone.

Edit: If you want to get rid of your AKGs for something similar, the DT880 (especially 600 ohm) is the way to go. They are similarly neutral, bright, and detailed, and the Beyers are generally more well-rounded with different genres. They are also one of the most comfy phones in their price range. I personally prefer the HD600, but there is no denying that it has a vastly different sound when compared to the other two. Just some food for thought.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
What you are describing is easily the HD600/650. The HD650 in particular makes a great complement to the AKG. If those go over your budget, the HD598 is your next best option. For ~$200, a used HD600 seems to be the way to go though. Truly a superb phone.

Edit: If you want to get rid of your AKGs for something similar, the DT880 (especially 600 ohm) is the way to go. They are similarly neutral, bright, and detailed, and the Beyers are generally more well-rounded with different genres. They are also one of the most comfy phones in their price range. I personally prefer the HD600, but there is no denying that it has a vastly different sound when compared to the other two. Just some food for thought.

So would a HD600 and DT880 (600 ohm) be great compliments? Just want to hear from other opinions.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 14
Yes, they would actually make great complements. I would say that the HD650 contrasts even more greatly with the DT880 if you are willing to go for something a bit more expensive. In fact, I see them as almost polar opposites.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Yes, they would actually make great complements. I would say that the HD650 contrasts even more greatly with the DT880 if you are willing to go for something a bit more expensive. In fact, I see them as almost polar opposites.

I see. I guess I'd have to stretch my budget a bit then. I love hearing my music differently. It keeps things fun that way.
Edit: Oh wait, I should've beared in mind that one of the cans should be used for analytical and transcribing purposes. So one of them should not be too colored for music production. HD600 takes the cake in this department over the HD650, but I'm not sure about the DT880; is the DT880 analytical or colored? No point in owning two analytical cans if I chose HD600 and DT880.

Quote:
How about a Grado SR-225?  Very, very different and lots of fun with rock.

I've tried them at meets before. Not a fan of them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back