K701... are they really THAT amazing?
Mar 3, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #121 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and to that question, I'd have to say yes.

I'd say no.

You can say for $260 you get incredible audiophile cans, but the comparison to being in the same league as the HD800 is just wrong.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #122 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, I compare the K702 to the 800 on the SPL Auditor with Ayre Acoustics QB-9 USB DAC. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/no...94/index3.html. Both hps had the same sound resolution, the 702 sounds more natural with better dynamic, compare to the piercing highs of the HD-800. Maybe 800 will be better fit with some nice roll off tube amp.
smile.gif

So how long have you been an AKG employee?
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #123 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how long have you been an AKG employee?
biggrin.gif

I do appreciate that the HD800 is probably a very good headphone, but there are lots of people @ HifiWigWam (HiFi WigWam - HiFi Forum) who are bothered by the HD800 treble.

Therefore, it would be unfair to conclude that they too are 'AKG employees'
tongue_smile.gif
No offense intended, don't wish to start a flame war!
smile.gif

EDIT: I am dying to hear the HD800 myself.... but my endless wait for a demo piece to enter Kolkata continues!

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #124 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do appreciate that the HD800 is probably a very good headphone, but there are lots of people @ HifiWigWam (HiFi WigWam - HiFi Forum) who are bothered by the HD800 treble.

tongue_smile.gif
smile.gif

I was a previous owner of the K701 (with over 400 hours logged on it) and I did have trouble with the treble on those cans...

My AKG employee comment was exclusively reserved for the head-fi member I responded too.
icon10.gif
Just read 99% of his posts for further proof.
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #125 of 286
I've been a closet headphone addict for about 20 of my 32 years. These are probably my first "proper" pair of headphones as I always ended up dumping my money into gear and speakers.

I'm listening to a brand new pair with a brand new Benchmark DAC1 right now and I'm hearing new stuff on recordings I thought I was already intimately familiar with. I am 100% happy with them so far with 49 minutes logged!

Bill

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #126 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue_smile.gif
smile.gif

EDIT: I am dying to hear the HD800 myself.... but my endless wait for a demo piece to enter Kolkata continues!

No there aren't. This is the only thread about the HD800 on the entire forum,

New Sennheiser - HD800 - 2 Channel Debate - All things HiFI and AV - HiFi WigWam - HiFi Forum

and in it only one person owns the HD800, yet doesn't provide any impressions, and the rest have never even heard it.

How did you derive "there are lots of people" from actually zero impressions?

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #127 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No there aren't. This is the only thread about the HD800 on the entire forum,

New Sennheiser - HD800 - 2 Channel Debate - All things HiFI and AV - HiFi WigWam - HiFi Forum

and in it only one person owns the HD800, yet doesn't provide any impressions, and the rest have never even heard it.

How did you derive "there are lots of people" from actually zero impressions?

Wait... coming up with the links... (my next reply)

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #128 of 286
Headphones - 2 Channel Debate - All things HiFI and AV - HiFi WigWam - HiFi Forum

Read ncdrawl's post:

"the Stax are ok.... I own the fancy ones, Omega IIs, 4040s... but really, they are a one trick pony...great on classical, maybe jazz..but nothing else.

I prefer my Modded AKG 701s by a vast margin.They sound great on everything. As for the HD800.... in this person's opinion--- not at all great.. i didnt even think they were good. very etched/strident sounding...artificial.. I have access to the 800s any time I want them(a good buddy of mine, a doc, has two pairs...so I borrowed one pair for a month or so. He is trying to sell them at this very moment."

Suggest a sonic upgrade from the stock K701. (listening preference: classical) - 2 Channel Debate - All things HiFI and AV - HiFi WigWam - HiFi Forum

Read User211's reply:

"My gwad are we listening to the same phones here? I have the 702s, but what I am hearing so far doesn't really fit your description that well. But I do take one point - they need good solid driving to give of their best... which is why I am searching for the right headphone amp at the mo...

Anyway, I have heard the HD800s briefly, at the Bristol show this year. See the pic below. What I heard was some very sterile sounding classical through them... etched fits too, I guess. Sheen might be a word I use too. Not a cheap front end either..."

There was another thread on the K701, but that is probably archived.... similar emotions were echoed regarding the HD800's treble there... sorry can't find that particular thread...

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #130 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say no.

You can say for $260 you get incredible audiophile cans, but the comparison to being in the same league as the HD800 is just wrong.
biggrin.gif

Before you get to this heavy conclusion, I'd recommend that you check them both on the SPL and let your ears experience how piercing the highs are with the HD800 on the Phonitor. Then you'll realize how natural with better dynamics the 702 is on the same system. But maybe you're just lucky enough that your tube amp is rolling off the 800s piercing highs and you don't have to suffer.

If you want to take the challenge, just find a Phonitor and talk with me about leagues after your experience.
happy_face1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #131 of 286
Acix, According to your experience, what's the improvement's percent between regular amp (like any weak tube amp, STX's amp, etc) to SPL amp?

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #132 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before you get to this heavy conclusion, I'd recommend that you check them both on the SPL and let your ears experience how piercing the highs are with the HD800 on the Phonitor. Then you'll realize how natural with better dynamics the 702 is on the same system. But maybe you're just lucky enough that your tube amp is rolling off the 800s piercing highs and you don't have to suffer.

If you want to take the challenge, just find a Phonitor and talk with me about leagues after your experience.
happy_face1.gif

Sorry again, I just don't buy it. I've heard too many headphones from poor, good and amazing amps and the difference between good and amazing (synergy speaking) would in no way make the K701s in the same league as the HD800s.

As I mentioned, I ain't buying it...
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #133 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acix, According to your experience, what's the improvement's percent between regular amp (like any weak tube amp, STX's amp, etc) to SPL amp?

What do you mean regular amp? If you mean amp like home stereo receiver the differences will be more than 100% if you're referring to hps amp the differences will be around 30-50% and you'll need to take in consideration the digital converter aka DAC and recable the K-702.

Before you jump to the next big buy, give yourself some time with your 701 and the STX and see if you like this combo, eventually you'll need to learn your system and to gain some knowledge, and to be able to know exactly what you want/need to improve in the future.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preferences.
k701smile.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #134 of 286
for 200ish, yes, the 701s ARE THAT amazing

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #135 of 286
Ok so I'm climbing the headphone ladder and trying different flavours and my gear is low-fi BUT the K701 will stay in my collection.

EDIT: If I were to get a T1 or a HD800 or run into financial hell, I may change my position and keep the AD2k and sell the rest
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back