K701... are they really THAT amazing?
Mar 3, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #107 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I had replaced the stiff foam discs with some softer ones and it took some of the "honk" away..

But not all, eh? I notice some of that honk in the k240S but not in the 240DF which is a far better headphone. What MomijiTMO writes makes sense. I tried removing the foam totally on a couple of sets of hps and it definitely increased the highs.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #108 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd seriously save up for the auditor..

X2 maybe the GP will be great too with the K-702.
k701smile.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #110 of 286
I know this is a headphone forum, but I truly recommend Studio Monitors for what you're looking for. I don't think you will be 100% satisfied with any headphones with your needs.

The freqency response on my Yamaha HS-80M's is rediculously flat and the sounds are very balanced. The sound is rediculously accurate and the soundstage is pretty good, don't have much to compare them to, but better than any headphones I have heard. Although, they are the opposite of fun and exciting to listen to. Which is the price you pay, no speaker/headphone is perfect anyway.

I would suggest any Yamaha Studio Monitors, KRK's can be a bit colored and Mackies too expensive. Since you aren't worrying too much about Bass I would say the HS-50M's would be suitable.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #111 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrumpOrMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is a headphone forum, but I truly recommend Studio Monitors for what you're looking for. I don't think you will be 100% satisfied with any headphones with your needs.

The freqency response on my Yamaha HS-80M's is rediculously flat and the sounds are very balanced. The sound is rediculously accurate and the soundstage is pretty good, don't have much to compare them to, but better than any headphones I have heard. Although, they are the opposite of fun and exciting to listen to. Which is the price you pay, no speaker/headphone is perfect anyway.

I would suggest any Yamaha Studio Monitors, KRK's can be a bit colored and Mackies too expensive. Since you aren't worrying too much about Bass I would say the HS-50M's would be suitable.

Don't get me started on my DT48 rant. I want to keep it civil. People know how I get when I talk about the DT48!

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #112 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uncle Erik, I didn't expect the K701's sound signature sounds like HD800 in any way, those are different phones.

I meant, if by expensive amp like this, I can get my K701's sound performance sounds like expensive phones like HD800- in "performance"- I mean to detailing, soundstage, transparent, very analytical sound, etc.

Assuming they are on equal playing fields? No. Definitely not.

If you plug the K701 in to an "expensive" amp, the K701 might get close to sounding like an HD800 out of an ipod; however, when you plug the HD800 in to that same expensive amp the performance gap is once again clear as day and blatantly obvious.
icon10.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #113 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's amazing. You haven't even heard the 701 or 702 with either of the SPL amps or the GP and you've already developed an illusion that you truly believe in. Your analogy is entertaining, but not accurate. On high resolution amps, like the SPL or maybe even on the GP, the sharp highs of the 800s is piercingly sharp. Maybe at this point people get confused between resolution and excessive treble. The highs are much more natural sounding with the 702s on the SPL than the 800s. But if you're using a tube, the highs can have a better rolloff and be much more relaxed.

One thing I do agree with you on is the OP needs more time and experience with his headphones before he moves on.

It's amazing. You actually truly believe the SPL amps are the be all end all of headphone amplification.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #114 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's amazing. You actually truly believe the SPL amps are the be all end all of headphone amplification.

Yes, the Phonitor is maybe the best for studio, you can check it out.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #115 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get me started on my DT48 rant. I want to keep it civil. People know how I get when I talk about the DT48!

Just putting in my opinion, I have not heard the DT48's and have no thoughts about them just yet but I'm not sure if you have heard the HS series by Yamaha.

But I guess your opinion is more valid as this is a headphone forum anyway, but I think he should still have a look at studio monitors as long as they suit his needs according to convenience/isolation needs.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #116 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming they are on equal playing fields? No. Definitely not.

If you plug the K701 in to an "expensive" amp, the K701 might get close to sounding like an HD800 out of an ipod; however, when you plug the HD800 in to that same expensive amp the performance gap is once again clear as day and blatantly obvious.
icon10.gif

lol, I compare the K702 to the 800 on the SPL Auditor with Ayre Acoustics QB-9 USB DAC. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/no...94/index3.html. Both hps had the same sound resolution, the 702 sounds more natural with better dynamic, compare to the piercing highs of the HD-800. Maybe 800 will be better fit with some nice roll off tube amp.
smile.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #118 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried my K702 with the Auditor at the meet and while it was very good I wasn't nowled over. It may be that I have a preference for tube amps but it was good hear hear the K702 out of a few amps.

You're right, very important to try out few amp with the 702...now you know what you like.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #120 of 286
I wish I could hear what the fuss is about the Canamp. The popularity of it seems head-fi discussions based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back