K701 and HD650.. Now what?
Jan 31, 2009 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

qqchewchew

New Head-Fier
I've had these two headphones for over a year now.. Had the DT880 250ohm before but sold it off as I thought the bass was really anaemic.

Enjoy these two headphones IMMENSELY. My setup is:

Fb2k-> Zero DAC w/Earth -> DV337 (Tungsol5998, 6SJ7GT mesh-plates)

Now I'm suffering from upgrade-itis. I've ordered some capacitors to frankenzero-mod my zero (They arrive on monday, cant wait!)

But most of all, I'm looking for some new headphones to add to my collection. I did consider the 600ohm version of the DT880 but never really took the plunge.. Perhaps I should try them now?

I've also been looking at the Allessandro MS1s, Denon AH-D2000/5000s, and various Grado phones such as 325i, RS1, and GS1000.

I have seriously considered the AH-D5000s, but I realise that I dont have a proper low-impedance amp to power them. Though my Frankenzero might be able to power them nicely, I guess I could get a good low-impedance amp for the denons some other time. This lack of a good amp has caused me to seriously consider the cheaper MS1s as well, for a start. Heard they're pretty darn good for their price, so I'm considering getting them. Really interested to hear what the Grado/Allessandro sound sounds like.

I listen to all kinds of genres (except the new-age hip hop and r&b crap)

which includes: ABBA, Dream theater, Muse, Carpenters, tons of rock, and some classical.

Some people have said the HD650 sound is really laid-back. To me, it sounds soo smooth, fun and relaxing. I also enjoy the K701s for their detailed sound, though I very much prefer the bass on the HD650s.

So from you gurus, any suggestions for a new set(s) of headphones for me? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 31
How about building a balanced rig in order to hear what hd650 is really up to?

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 31
i found the dt880's bass anaemic, and didn't really hear anything else that was outstanding from it except its pretty wide soundstage. But the K701 i like because of its detailed and analytical sound, and nice soundstage.

As for balanced.. I dont think I wanna take the plunge yet, it's pretty expensive down that road. Heh. Perhaps i'll just save up for the HD800.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 31
If you are looking for an upgrade I'll recommend the AD2000. Many people will disagree with me but I think that it's a class above the K701 and HD650 as a whole, it has better resolution and clarity than the HD650, while it's more fun than the K701. It's also a class above the RS1.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 31
Jan 31, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 31
Don't get anymore headphones. Upgrade your rig (DAC), trust me. Problem is that you are going to have to spend more than $600 to get a significantly better DAC than Zero with the Earth HDAM. Maybe a Stello Signature or DAC1 if you want to stick with SS or a Monarchy M/NM24 if you want more tubes.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 31
What you do next is go make your friends who still use included apple earbuds feel bad. Go wave them ultra audiophile stuff in their face. And then they'll go *shrug* "whatever, mine is more portable" and then bask in their ignorance.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #13 of 31
I'm in the same boat as you. Got HD650 and K701 for a year, and wanted to see what else is out there. I recently purchase a GS1000 and MS-Pro. I'll probably get them in 2-3 wks. I'll let you know how these upgrades work out in a month or so -- that is if you can wait that long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back