K340 KT88 mod guide :)
Jun 4, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #197 of 236
just called Frank again today and he directed me to Michael who after 10-15 minutes said there is no record of the order at all.
mad.gif
However he said the K271 velour pads are now in stock, and apparently there are atleast 100, I ordered two this time. Let's hope he comes through, I don't know if it was the computer error thing or Frank was just asking me for my information and doodling on a piece of paper but they definitely need to get their act together. I would have immediately gone for the pads that KT88 can get except that I really like velour for headphone pads (leather/pleather gets sticky after prolonged use and doesn't feel as comfy imo). For the people that still need the pads now is a good time to order, unless they mess up again
rolleyes.gif
. Im hoping Michael does a much better job than Frank. Just a heads up for those still interested in the velour pads.

Jun 4, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #198 of 236
Yeah michael couldn't find my order either, even though it had only partially shipped.

After 30 minutes on the phone with him, we seemed to have things sorted out, and he said he'd ship me the other badge for my k240, foam discs, foam rings, and some small screws, but everything else was backordered.

Then late last week I received the other badge, four small screws, and a bill for $2.22 (instead of a refund for the $22 i was overcharged for the lid they still haven't shipped).

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #199 of 236
For those considering to replace the pleather pads with the velour ones, I suggest that you take into the account the difference this replacement makes.

Few days ago I dug up my old pleather pads which I replaced long time ago, and thought, "what the heck, why not try them on again?" So on they went, and at first, I noticed immediately increase in the treble details. I mean, BY QUITE A MARGIN, actually. Be forewarned, though, that my pair is of the bass heavy flavor. The return of the original pads actually make the sound more balanced (meaning less bass boom, more upper midrange details and sheen).

I attribute this to the fact that the original pads have much bigger openning compared to the velour ones. Now when you think about this, about a good portion of the electret units are directly shrouded by the velour pads, where as under the original ones they are fully exposed. This could be the reason of the increase in treble details and energy.

While the increase in treble details and engery comes with a drawback of leaner bass, the problem be easily remedied with tube rolling (they are rocking with some Sylvania 6SN7GTA right now. Sound GREAT!) to fill up the lower end again. The bass prior to the pad reversal sounds pretty full with the Electric Harmonix 6SN7EHs on my Darkvoice, but afterward they become quite lean, caveat emptor. Then again, I believe that this is for the better, since you are not losing any highend details and energy anymore. For those with bass heavy variety, try them out, and maybe you will discover the missing "shings" from the cymbals and high hats!

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #201 of 236
Guys, one of the dynamic driver of my K340 seems to have died. Can someone tell me how to open up the dynamic driver (and get access to the voice coil)?

If that's not possible, I remember reading one post that tells of another AKG phone that uses the same dynamic driver (was it you, ericj?). What part number would that be? I don't believe AKG still sells the 'official' dynamic driver of the K340.

Cheers!

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #202 of 236
Open the headphone, and gently pull the driver out the back. It will slowly come out and you will have access to the ends of the voice coil.

As for the part number, try contacting AKG Austria, I think they might still have it. If you would have needed an electret I could help, but I dont have any dynamic drives left
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #204 of 236
if you could see the terminals than you can see the voice coil ends. opening the rest is something I haven't tried yet. I might try that later with the pair I have here
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #206 of 236
I understand. It is very thin and it takes a lot of patience to put it back together. BTW, since I have a damaged dynamic driver (beyond repair - and of course after I've realized it I allowed myself to really beat them up
smily_headphones1.gif
), I've taken a few photos.

the normal method will involve taking the driver out of the gray enclosure:
img3070lc5.jpg

(as you can see, this particular driver has been through a lot
smily_headphones1.gif
)

However,
I've found the quickest way to get to the voice coil is simply to pull it off straight of the center
tongue.gif

img3069yj4.jpg

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #208 of 236
no, the gray enclosure has a little hole where the green driver has a bump, just stick a little sharp screw-driver or something similar, and pull it up gently. than, just keep on pulling from different sides till it comes out. another less recommended but easier method is after the initial pulling with the sharp tool, just take small pilers and pull the driver from the different direction. the green back has a higher outer ring which enables it.

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #209 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, the gray enclosure has a little hole where the green driver has a bump, just stick a little sharp screw-driver or something similar, and pull it up gently. than, just keep on pulling from different sides till it comes out. another less recommended but easier method is after the initial pulling with the sharp tool, just take small pilers and pull the driver from the different direction. the green back has a higher outer ring which enables it.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try hopefully before the next weekend (why do Mondays always come so soon?).

Cheers!

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #210 of 236
I've found it much easier to simply hold the back of the driver firmly with a pair of pliers, and wiggle the outer enclosure off of it. It barely leaves a mark on the plastic, and takes only a few seconds for the whole process.

p.s. It's also possible to take the diaphragm and voice coil off without damaging them like Anatoli did to his broken driver, but that's only necessary in the most extreme of cases and requires a very steady hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back