K340 info gleaned from old dealer information pamphlets
Oct 27, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #16 of 28
Interesting that service manual lists K340/4 and K340/5, are these different versions? Were there 1/2/3 as well?
blink.gif
Also notice that low frequency module number was manually corrected, very interesting.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #17 of 28
I think that the /4 and /5 just denote if it has the DIN or TRS connector. Not positive on that though.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to hijack this thread , are the k241 worth getting? and what are they worth these days? I've got some k500's already but they shine with Jazz. I'd like something for rock

I really liked the K241, preferred them to my beat-up Sextett, but they're evidently a notch or two below a properly cared-for pair. In either circumstance, their fabric filters allow for a wider and more natural soundstage than the Sextett (or K340) diaphragms can, though I'm sure others will balk at this claim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the /4 and /5 just denote if it has the DIN or TRS connector. Not positive on that though.

Yep, that's what they mean. Careful on grabbing those models unless you don't mind reterminating or scouring the web for adapters.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to hijack this thread , are the k241 worth getting? and what are they worth these days? I've got some k500's already but they shine with Jazz. I'd like something for rock

The K241 would be a perfect complement to the K500. It's not quite as smooth and euphonic as a K240 Sextett, but close enough. I'd say anywhere between $50 to $100 is a reasonable price range for the K241. They're less common than the K240 Sextett, so prices fluctuate more. If you're interested in the pair I think you are, I'd say it's a fair deal. They're missing the 1/8" foam discs that sit over the driver/vents though, so they'd sacrifice a little in comfort until you get some thin open cell foam to replace them with.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #21 of 28
Maybe I should type up the K 240 and K 241 blurbs, as they go into some detail as to why the models are different. [applications, etc]

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Maybe I should type up the K 240 and K 241 blurbs, as they go into some detail as to why the models are different. [applications, etc]

that would be great, and much appreciated.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Do you listen to them balanced out of the DAC1? I used to use mine with the Lavry DA10 that way and it did an alright job.

Yes.. & does a better job then I thought it would.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In either circumstance, their fabric filters allow for a wider and more natural soundstage than the Sextett (or K340) diaphragms can, though I'm sure others will balk at this claim.

No, not at all. I find that modding the baffle grills with fabric is one of the most important mods for the K340. I use my router table to cut the mesh part out of the baffle, and glue speaker fabric to the remaining baffle frame. I plan to do this to my Sextett too, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not at all. I find that modding the baffle grills with fabric is one of the most important mods for the K340. I use my router table to cut the mesh part out of the baffle, and glue speaker fabric to the remaining baffle frame. I plan to do this to my Sextett too, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Oh no, I don't mean the baffle grille-- on the K241 the ring of tuned passive diaphragms is replaced by a series of nonwoven fabric filters of varying thicknesses in roughly the same holes. So instead of passive diaphragms playing some of the backwave selectively back at you, you get a filtered version of the backwave allowed to bounce back to your ear. It's essentially an open headphone and not a semi-closed one like the Sextett, which makes a considerable difference in the spatial presentation, if not quite achieving the precision that the diaphragms can give.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

That does confirm some things we had already assumed about the K340.

Also keep in mind that when these were introduced most receivers had much better headphone outs, though still not enough to drive the K340 to it's peek performance IMHO.

Asr I hope you get to hear a nice pair of bass light K340. They are night and day to the bass heavy variant that I personally can't stand.

I too am not a one headphone man though, and appreciate differing phones for different things.

Just to throw things into more complexity, it would be worthwhile to try out a pair of bass-normal K340 too. While I find the bass-light version to be absolutely fantastic and detailed to listen to, their light bass does tend to sometimes make the phones sound gutless or simply 'lacking somewhere'. That's where the bass-normal pair comes in. I have plans to cut down my K340 collection eventually and keep these two pairs in my possession (modded or not).

Quote:

Hey thanks Zorander! I didn't know that was available.

Glad to be of help.
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no, I don't mean the baffle grille-- on the K241 the ring of tuned passive diaphragms is replaced by a series of nonwoven fabric filters of varying thicknesses in roughly the same holes. So instead of passive diaphragms playing some of the backwave selectively back at you, you get a filtered version of the backwave allowed to bounce back to your ear. It's essentially an open headphone and not a semi-closed one like the Sextett, which makes a considerable difference in the spatial presentation, if not quite achieving the precision that the diaphragms can give.

Ah I see. That seems like an interesting idea. It works well huh?

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Ah I see. That seems like an interesting idea. It works well huh?

Opinions differ. I thought it sounded alright, but it's probably not as precise as the original diaphragm version. It seems like a cost-cutting effort to eliminate those tricky and presumably expensive passive diaphragms, before AKG just decided to make a 240 that didn't sound as good and avoided all those pesky tricks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back