K340 info gleaned from old dealer information pamphlets
Oct 27, 2007 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=medium]K 340[/size]

Absolutely top class stereo headphones employing the two-way design concept. Each earpiece contains two different kinds of transducer system. One dynamic and one electrostatic system combine together to form an integral transducer system.

The result is convincing: full, clear bass down to the lowest end of the audible range is reproduced by the dynamic system; transparent, neutral and brilliant treble by the electrostatic transducer.

In the K 340 a crossover network is not required. Both systems are connected directly and acoustically tuned to avoid undesirable phase shifts or uneven frequency response in the cross-over region. Therefore, there is no loss of transparency, and virtually no distortion.

The K 340 is used without an auxiliary power unit, just like any dynamic headphone, since the miniature transformers required for signal voltage step-up are built into the earpieces.
The passive diaphragms provide a well balanced bass range as well as a natural, open, and spatial sound image.

The model K 340 with gimbal-pivoted earpieces, and a cushioned headband which automatically adjusts to any head size, provides exceptional wearing comfort despite its size.

[There is a similar description for K 240, K 241, K 141, K 140 S, K 80, K 41, and K 40. I'm assuming the K 240 are the Sextet model as they make mention of six passive diaphragms.]

Technical Data:
Transducer Type ----------------------------- electrostatic/dynamic
Frequency range ----------------------------- 16-25 000 Hz
Nominal impedance --------------------------- 400 Ohm
Nominal sound pressure level [at 1000 Hz] ----- 94 dB
Maximum power ------------------------------ 200 mW acc. DIN 45 500
Harmonic distortion --------------------------- ≤ 0,2% acc. DIN 45 500
Contact pressure ----------------------------- 3 N [ca. 300 g]
Weight [without cable] ----------------------- 380 g
Connection cable ----------------------------- single sided, helix cable, 3 m extended length

[The same information is also listed for the other headphones I mentioned above.]

[size=medium]Two-way system - the new K 340 design concept[/size]

The new AKG two-way design concept has been realized for the first time in the K 340 headphones. This system combines the advantages of both dynamic and electrostatic design principles.

Dynamic sound transducers utilize the motion resulting from signal current flowing through a voice coil suspended in a magnetic field. This vibrating voice coil is rigidly attached to the diaphragm which, in turn excites sound waves in the air. The large diaphragm excursions occurring at low frequencies and high volumes are easily handled by dynamic systems.

Electrostatic transducers consist primarily of a rigid, electrically conductive diaphragm mounted [about the diameter of a human hair] apart from each other. When a signal voltage is applied to these two 'electrodes' electrostatic forces are generated resulting in a movement of the diaphragm.

In this case the applied audio signal voltage must be considerably higher than with dynamic transducers. Therefore, electrostatic headphones invariably require an external power supply unit incorporating step up transformers. Also, for satisfactory operation, headphones of this type must be supplied with a constant electrostatic charge. This can be provided by an external power supply, or, as in the case of the K 340, by a self-polarizing diaphragm with an inherent permanent electrostatic charge.

In the high frequency region the extremely thin and light weight diaphragm can move freely and follow the signal impulses without delay.
  1. The AKG two-way design concept employs a dynamic transducer for the reproduction of bass and midrange frequencies. This results in a balanced bass reproduction down to the lowest audible frequencies, as well as in minimum harmonic distortion.
  2. The region above 4000 Hz is covered by an electrostatic transducer. Sound reproduction is transparent and free from coloration: the full range of harmonics produced by musical instruments are also retained, ensuring maximum fidelity.
  3. Since the electrostatic transducer system transmits only frequencies above 4000 Hz, the crossover network usually required is unnecessary. The K 340 still requires transformers however, to obtain the signal voltages necessary in electrostatic systems. However they can be made extremely small, since they do not need to handle low frequencies which would call for large iron cores. Therefore these miniature transformers can be built into the headphone earpieces without offering any disadvantage. By using a self-polarizing diaphragm, the AKG electrostatic system can dispense with a power supply for generating the polarization voltage.

With the K 340, cumbersome external power supply units as used with purely electrostatic systems are a thing of the past.

340smile.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the K 340, cumbersome external power supply units as used with purely electrostatic systems are a thing of the past.

I found this pretty funny. Yeah, those damn cumbersome external power supplies. You can just plug the K340 into anything and it sounds great. Sure.
rolleyes.gif

I'll add the scans of the pictures and diagrams once I get them as well.

There is also a pretty funny page entitled "Why headphones at all?" that I will try to transcribe once my fingers stop hurting.
plainface.gif

It details how "Headphones are a must in any well-equipped HiFi system" along with the main advantages that headphones have over loudspeakers.
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 28
Thanks Philodox.

The brochure that came with my k340s is awsome sorry that I can't be bothered to transcribe it all right now. It's Friday and that seems a bit too much like my work week.

The Headline on the fold out is "Akgs uniquely engineered design eliminates common tradeoffs"

Then goes on to describe the solution to Open vs Closed and dynamic vs condenser drivers. The obvious solution is to use both.

The classic line in the thing seems to be the following "Sensitivity is high enough to use with low power amps" pre walkman thinking for sure.

Interestingly enough they mention "you can can connect the K340 directly to the headphone jack of any receiver or amplifier, or across the speaker output terminals"

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Philodox.

The brochure that came with my k340s is awsome sorry that I can't be bothered to transcribe it all right now. It's Friday and that seems a bit too much like my work week.

The Headline on the fold out is "Akgs uniquely engineered design eliminates common tradeoffs"

Then goes on to describe the solution to Open vs Closed and dynamic vs condenser drivers. The obvious solution is to use both.

The classic line in the thing seems to be the following "Sensitivity is high enough to use with low power amps" pre walkman thinking for sure.

Interestingly enough they mention "you can can connect the K340 directly to the headphone jack of any receiver or amplifier, or across the speaker output terminals"

I used my 340's with my MP3 player.. I heard stuff..

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

No problem, I typed it all up while listening to a few CD's on said headphones... so it wasn't all work.
340smile.gif

That brocure of yours sounds pretty interesting as well, I'd love to see a scan of it sometime.
wink.gif
Quote:

Even then they knew that the K 340 is a beast to drive.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's all I had for a while with my first pair. Still nice, but what a difference with proper amplification.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 28
Thanks for the link, I lost that at some point. The diagrams in the pamphlets I have are a little different... and the fact that they are in English is nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem, I typed it all up while listening to a few CD's on said headphones... so it wasn't all work.
340smile.gif

That brocure of yours sounds pretty interesting as well, I'd love to see a scan of it sometime.
wink.gif
Even then they knew that the K 340 is a beast to drive.
biggrin.gif
That's all I had for a while with my first pair. Still nice, but what a difference with proper amplification.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah.. I need to save for a better amp.. I can't imagine how great they sound properly amped.. Would probably over throw my 650's..

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 28
Do you listen to them balanced out of the DAC1? I used to use mine with the Lavry DA10 that way and it did an alright job.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

IMO some mp3 players aren't powerful enough to drive a K340 without the help of a portable amp.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Yeah.. I need to save for a better amp.. I can't imagine how great they sound properly amped.. Would probably over throw my 650's..

Try not to be too hasty with your decision. While I find myself thoroughly pleased with the K340, there are also times when I crave/prefer different sounds. During those times, the Senns can sound absolutely glorious. Of course the reverse applies for the other times.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Don't be so sure of that. I had a K340 and tried it on AE-2, Gilmore Lite v2 w/ DPS, GS-1, and Cayin HA-1A. Of those amps only the Cayin drove it well - it was fairly audibly obvious. The sound from the pairing was nice, yes, but now that I've heard the HD650 as well, I wouldn't say the K340 overthrows it. It's mostly just a different kind of sound, excellent in certain aspects, but not so great in others. Mine had too much bass for my liking, along with a weird-sounding mid-range and tunnel-vision soundstage.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #13 of 28
Not to hijack this thread , are the k241 worth getting? and what are they worth these days? I've got some k500's already but they shine with Jazz. I'd like something for rock

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to hijack this thread , are the k241 worth getting? and what are they worth these days? I've got some k500's already but they shine with Jazz. I'd like something for rock

You can also look at the K240 Sextett. They are relatively more forward and far easier to drive than the K340.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 28
That does confirm some things we had already assumed about the K340.

Also keep in mind that when these were introduced most receivers had much better headphone outs, though still not enough to drive the K340 to it's peek performance IMHO.

Asr I hope you get to hear a nice pair of bass light K340. They are night and day to the bass heavy variant that I personally can't stand.

I too am not a one headphone man though, and appreciate differing phones for different things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The service manual for the K340 is also still available from AKG: Link

Hey thanks Zorander! I didn't know that was available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back