K340: How power hungry are they?
Apr 9, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #46 of 55
Yes, though I understand they are a bit harder to get on the K340's.
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Yes, though I understand they are a bit harder to get on the K340's.
wink.gif

Thoughts on the velour pads? Im thinking about getting a pair.

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Yes and it's super easy. I think there's a thread around with pics?

How is the elastic replaced? Does anyone have the link to that thread?

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324
How is the elastic replaced? Does anyone have the link to that thread?

I don't, but when i took my K340's apart to paint the plastic parts and install the new headband i saw how simple the suspension system is, and my worries went out the window. Take the little screw out that's directly under the headband on the inside of the headphones, then carefully pull the inside piece of plastic away from the outside frame. You will see little tabs that hold the elastic bands in place. Just put the new ones on just as the old ones are.

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Velour pads?

Anyways... my K340's did not have the AKG logo. I seriously doubt that means a thing. I am completely on board for a K340 meet at my place.
340smile.gif

Bumby and the bass light k340s must reunite!

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #52 of 55
Getting back to the original question about amp power, I've tried many amps with my stock K340's. My Raptor with its 5687 tubes drive the K340 extremely well. My Portal Panache integrated amp also easily drives the K340. In fact there is very little difference in the sound between those two amps. I don't have to crank the volume control on either amp to drive the K340's very loud. The bass response is incredible with either amp. On the other hand, the Grace 901 (sold), was lean and cold compared to my present amps but it also had enough gain to drive them to high volume levels. I also tried two portable amps that I have since sold. The Xin Supermacro with the OPA627 and its high gain and bass boost drove the K340's suprisingly well but I had to turn the volume control well past 12 o'clock. The Supermacro actually sounded better than the Grace 901 but not nearly as good as the Panache or the Raptor. The SR71 did not have enough gain to drive the 340's. The K340 is in my experience, the second most difficult headphone for an amp to drive well. The most difficult being the K1000's, but the Portal Panache has solved that problem well.

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Thoughts on the velour pads? Im thinking about getting a pair.

I did not have my K340 long enough to do a good leather/velour comparison (leave that one to Phil) but they greatly improve comfort. They really aren't that difficult to get on, though.

Anyone know if a balanced M^3 will be going to the national meet?

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #55 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius 400 Ohm, 94dB at 1mW.

nope, did a quick research and akg states it's 88db/mw, that certainly explains their hunger for power

link (german):http://www.akg.com/mediadatabase/psf...5d5160b6f0.zip

edit: akg usa states like aerius mentioned 94db/mw, could be a typo for sensivity

link: http://www.akg.com/mediadatabase/psf...5d4cdd8839.zip

Sorry my userid is so presumptuous. My old (since 198x) K340's are why I joined
Head-Fi, and I don't know how to change it.
And I hope there's no rule against posting to a thread that's 8 years old, futile though
such a post may be.

So, sensitivity is 88 dB/mw in German and 94 in English, or is it The Continent vs.
America? And what are the implications for classical vs. the Blues?

I guess the 88 makes more sense for the observed difficulty driving the 'phones in the
base, where the measured impedance, from a graph in an article at InnerFidelity.com,
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-vintage-akg-headphones-k240-sextett-and-k340-electrostatic-dynamic-page-2
is about 350 Ohms, not a big deal in itself, I think. But that graph also has a 750-Ohm
peak at 10 kHz, which I suppose could wreak havoc in the treble, especially with harmonics,
unless the amp can supply a lot of what the load needs (voltage or current?), and fast.

See, I'm trying to use specs, measurements and others' observations to narrow my search
for an optimum (neutral / accurate) amp, where price is one factor. Can you tell I'm an
engineer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back