K340 help: amplification or aesthetics?
Aug 9, 2008 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jsr3823

New Head-Fier
After much lurking it's time for a first real post.

My office set-up is a decent sound card into a Channel Island vhp-1/vac1 running an APS-modded and V3 recabled k340. While the sound is technically all there and without noticeable faults, overall, it somehow fails to satisfy, especially at the bass end of things. Having said that, I mostly listen to Jazz (especially 1950s small-combo Monk, Miles, Coltrane), and chamber music, with the occasional techno to keep me awake. So bass-wise I need a convincing presence but nothing booming. At home I have an RS-1 that I'm very happy with but it's so up-front and atention-grabbing that I doubt I could listen to it and concentrate on work at the same time.

So, my questions are:
1) Has anyone out there successfully paired the vhp-1/vac1 with the K340 or am I underpowering it?
2) If it's not a lack of power, do any of you more experienced folk have any suggestions for an office 'phone that might be more suitable?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 22
I would get a different amp, something with more juice. Some people even use speaker amps to power the k340 they are definitely one of the most power hungry headphones. Even though the vhp1 is a solid amp I would recommend trying something else. The fotm combo with the k340 used to be the darkvoice 336i im sure people will suggest other good ones too. I thought it sounded good out of my ear+ hd though it was just a brief listen. Btw I recommend a tube amp, if you feel like that missing xfactor is warmth,weight, smoothness, etc. though I'm a tube guy so take it with a grain of salt.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 22
I looked into the 336i when I was choosing an amp. Spec-wise the vhp1 says it has more current available and was "rated" for higher impedence, like 700 vs. 600 ohms. But then again power from tubes is not, as I recall the same as power from solid state. I am trying to avoid tubes though so as not to have warm-up issues. The vhp1 is nice in that it's on all the time and ready to go when time permits.

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 22
I had exactly the same headphones moded and with the APS v3 cable with Furutech plug.
I used them with the Rudistor RPX-33 mkII and RP-7 Lite (hybrid) both had enough power to drive them but normally the volume was about 12 o'clock.

They matched very good with the RP-7 Lite.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 16, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 22
Yah if your budget can handle it, it would be a good idea to balance the K340s and get a nice balanced amp. The K340s love power and they only get better the more you give it. Its known to be one of the most demanding headphones out there. I'm currently waiting for mine since I just got it balanced and modded/recabled by Larry at headphile. When I had it SE it sounded ok through my WA6 but even better through my Supra XLR, so want to hear it balanced now
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for the thoughts...
My wallet is trying not to listen to the siren song for more power. My main problem is that I really like the vhp1/vac1 combo for it's clear sound and very black background.
Crazy though it is, I can enjoy lots of cans for what they are, but have a harder time finding amps that don't drive me nuts for one reason or another.

I've been listening to it more carefully this week and am of two minds as to whether I should try more amps at my peril or find the k340s a more powerful home and try some other cans....

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 22
You say k340......didn't mention Headphile mods, or not.
To me, the k340 best use is for Symphonic music, and Opera - it's the perspective! It provides beautifully for music played in large venues........whereas jazz is mostly smallish clubs. This is a significant reason why your RS-1 are working for you (I prefer flats, and tube amp with them). Jazz is heard close up and personal.......not 15-30 rows back. ...........further, as already mentioned a couple of times (or so) - you need powerfully powerful power (did I say lotsa power). That means what you really want for them is a Woo2, or perhaps a McAlister such owned by prime k340 proponent in Canada (o.k. I forgot his name)........lesser amps are really not enough. Yeah, I own both and use them as described (except don't have the Woo - yet -but know they need more than my Prehead MkII, and ASL Mg Head OTL/NOS can give them).

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 22
Actually you can go for ASL MG Head OTL...and Darkvoice amps are another option that will do the trick. It can get better, but these can serve with plenty of fervor without being expensive.

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 22
I have an ASL Mg Head OTL/NOS. The k340 wants more IMO.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an ASL Mg Head OTL/NOS. The k340 wants more IMO.

Is yours bass-light or bass-heavy (k340)? I mean, sure, more is nice, but with bass-light version it still sounds very damn good.

Aug 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 22
K340 bass-heavy ain't heavy brutha. Had a short discussion about it with Larry. In his parlance, he'd term bass-heavy k340 as barely bass-adequate. Considering I'd term them projecting a sound that fits in a opera house something like 20 rows - then bass-adequate fits that perspective and fits the profile for that location rather well. It's the nature of the bass-beasty to dissapate more rapidly than other portions of the musical spectrum.......IOW words, bass-heavy k340, in terms heightening the amp power needs isn't really worth significant consideration. Any version of k340 will require more juice than, say, dt990/600Ω.

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 22
Again, thanks for the thoughtful comments.

Am I missing something amidst all the acronyms or is the consensus that most of the "affordable" amps are tube-based, and a lot of the others, as well?

Aug 18, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #15 of 22
Take the whole bass heavy/bass light business with a grain of salt. Based on how mine sound out of decent amplification compared to other K340's, I would say they are the 'bass light' version. However, on my current rig I challenge anyone to find them lacking in bass. Sure it doesn't smack you across the face like a Grado, but it is definately present and very textured. Any more bass and they would be unbalanced.

For the OP, I'd definately say your amplification is the problem. It is just a matter of what works best for you. Sell the K340 and buy an easier to drive headphones or keep them and get a better amp.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back