K271... what a strange can
Feb 20, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat
I like the K501 bass better too, but then again I'm one of the weirdos that like the K501's bass period...

Don't worry, you're not alone
wink.gif
. A lot of it I think is burn-in plus getting used to the sonic signature. They aren't meet-friendly cans, but those willing to give them some time/patience will be greatly rewarded...

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I have a very hard time believing anything else you say after a statement like that.... the K501 has "much more bass"? Are you kidding me? If not, I may want to jump on the K501's while they're still available and cheap.

My K501s had brown bassy rings and tape mod. Yes, bass on K501 has more extension and impact. As I've said before, K271 has boosted lower mids to make it sound fuller. It has a nice sound alot of people will like. Just not my cup of tea. I don't recommend either if you're looking for bass.

Feb 21, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #33 of 43
Is it the newer or older K501's that have the brown rings?

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #34 of 43
I wish I could find a pair of these here in canada,or someone who had a set for sale.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could find a pair of these here in canada,or someone who had a set for sale.

Are there any Long and McQuades around you?

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #37 of 43
The 271s ended my search for the right HP's. The comparison to 501s is understandable because of the similiar price and same manufacturer. They couldn't be more different. The 271 brings the midrange much closer to the listener. With the 501's it was hard for me to hear the detail in instruments like the guitar. With the 271s the instruments are brought closer. If you are a guitar fan you will not find a more realistic phone.

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The earpads are too shallow to accomodate a wide range of ear shapes / stickyoutness. I've had quite a lot of people try out my K271S and on some ears the phones look to be entirely supported by the earlobes and is lifted clear of the head at the back of the ear. I can understand problems of comfort and isolation/leakiness when you have 'the wrong shaped ear'. If you have relatively low-profile ears as I do, it's not an issue but there is still a problem maintaining a earpad-controlled seal. This is what leads to comments by some people that the phone isolates decently but leaks a lot: The back of the phone has been lifted off their head by their ear.

I have a pair of these headphones on order, and should receive them in the next two days. As an owner of the K301, I am already growing suspicious that there will be a certain amount of air between the lower back sides of the earpads and my head. I certainly wouldn't describe my ears, etc. as "weird," but if the overall design of the K271S is similar to the K301, I wonder if I'll have major issues getting the right fit and seal, and how any or all of this will possibly jeopardize the sound quality I get from them.

In your experience with these people who've borrowed your K271S, has the complaint (when the fit isn't good) related strictly to isolation, or also to sound quality?

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #39 of 43
Good fit is essential for any headphone. The K271S is one where this is especially true. Isolation obviously improves with a good seal, but also sound quality. Placement on the head is also important. I would suggest trying different positions, though I prefer to wear most circumaural headphones straight down on top of my head and then pushed forward so that the backs of my ears touch the backs of the headphone pads. After positioning them properly, wait for the pleather to 'stick' to your head and form a seal. Assuming you have adequate amplification you should be a happy man at that point.
340smile.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #40 of 43
When I had them I tried a few options - thinner foam in them, Velour Beyer pads instead of the stock Pleather, ran them via Emu o4o4 card/Portaphile amp.(both tend to help bass presentation), and Xin Supermini. While bass was "adequate" re my music genres (Jazz and Classical), they were never close to convincing in timbre - particularly, the piano NEVER sounded like a piano - which should spell death to a headphone. They had to go. AKG k240s was always the better choice at the time........eventually the lightly- modded k240s said adios to my gang and the only AKG remaining is a pair of k340..........amongst a sea of Manufacture 2005 or custom Beyers.

Apr 22, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #41 of 43
I like my AKG 271S quite a lot. I'd say that unamped they're distinctly mediocre and undynamic. With my X-Can v2 or Doge, they do a lot better that just running them out of a soundcard. Dynamism and impact return.

Their strength for me, is their unfatiguing but moderately involving sound at the right price point.

They don't do 'air' or 'soundstaging' very well. I get little sense of position with these.

I'd say the presentation to be relatively muffled compared to AKG 701 or W5000. Resolution and detail in either the bass or treble frequencies are a lot easier to hear with the latter two phones. Bass is more of a 'thud', trebles are slightly recessed on the 271s.

The midrange is fine, but not quite liquid.

However, for a pair of isolating, musical, wear-all-day phones at work (and actually get stuff done), they do the job and are great.

Been trying to get a pair of velour pads for a little bit of extra comfort, but they seal with my ears fine.

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #42 of 43
I have found that velour replacement pads from AKG provide superior to stock pleather seal, and not only significantly improve comfort but also add very nice punch to the bass. With them and Zu cable it goes as deep and low as on HD650.

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #43 of 43
I just ordered the velour pads for mine. I hope they show up soon. I love my K271S but do feel the low end is attenuated somewhat. They go deep but it is not as loud as most other cans. I look forward to the bass being accentuated some. My old pleather pads are worn out and my ears touch, they start to hurt after a while. I recabled mine with canare starquad BTW although I didn't perceive any change other than increased microphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back