K271... what a strange can
Feb 9, 2006 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

spike33

1000+ Head-Fier
This is strangest headphone I've ever heard. It doesn't have much bass but manages to be full sounding. I suspect there's some emphasive on lower mids. It just sounds weird at this point, I'm trying hard to adjust to it
biggrin.gif

Also, having a hard time getting a good fit. The earpads are so small (compared k501) and the inner foam is very close to the ear, sometimes touching.

Feb 9, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 43
Hmm... k501 actually has more bass, much more. I have a very hard time hearing bass notes on k271. It doesn't go very deep either, bass boost has no effect. Not looking good....

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 43
It takes the right source and amp to get a decent bass out of the K271s.
I use either LP12 or Krell CD player and its bass reach isn't good as RS1 or W2002.

But what's there is very clean and tuneful.
I prefer it over a muddy overblown bass heard in some other cans.
The K501 does not reach too deep either compared to my other 'fones.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 43
I agree slightly with your description of the bass on the K271. I feel that it is deep, however, and that it is there and relatively good in my opinion. Although in certain recordings, the bass is literally non-existant to my ears and it does cause some irritation on my part from the lack of it.

Bass aside, however, I happen to love my K271 for any variety of music that flows through them.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 43
I agree slightly with your description of the bass on the K271. I feel that it is deep, however, and that it is there and relatively good in my opinion. Although in certain recordings, the bass is literally non-existant to my ears and it does cause some irritation on my part from the lack of it.

Bass aside, however, I happen to love my K271 for any variety of music that flows through them.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs

This is pretty much my opinion too. I find the bass extension to go pretty low but the level is a little down.

-Chris

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Agreed.
I would have been very happy as my closd cans, except I could not wear them too long that's why I looked for the AT cans even tho they have a different disposition from the AKGs.
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Agreed.
I would have been very happy as my closd cans, except I could not wear them too long that's why I looked for the AT cans even tho they have a different disposition from the AKGs.
frown.gif

Why couldn't you wear them for long? I find them to be pretty comfortable and definitely not too tight on the head. Actually I wish they were a little tighter because I feel like they are going to fall off my head sometimes when I lay down with them on. I have small ears and such, so the cups go all the way around. The only issue I have with them is I wish there was more space between the padding inside of the cups and my ears.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 43
i have been used to a lighter 'fones like Grados for so long, I found most of closed cans make me feel a bit claustrophobic.
When I first put them on, I felt relatively comfortable with them, but longer I wore, they were too tight around my head.
And yes. I found the AT 'fones with larger ear pads, even tho, they are heavier, for a longer listening ultimately more comfortable to wear.
Maybe it is a padding issues as you said.

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #12 of 43
I'm a recent K271 user... but I have been burning them in and using them for a few weeks constantly...

My overall impression is I love them to bits.I picked them as a studio can for using with a Motif ES, especially on sampled piano,pads and strings.

It has warmth and it DOES have bass. I found that my initial reaction was that it wasn't pounding, but rather an accurate bass with decent extension on the low-end. Sometimes I'll try EQing the bass up, but then realize that it doesn't really need it at all - it just takes getting used to.

It doesn't have the widest stereofield (not exaggerated), but I would say for use as a studio monitor - its intended purpose - it is excellent. It's greatest strength is in the midrange. I have been using it at my office recently and it is enjoyable as a listening headphone. Non-fatiguing...the highs are soft on this can... I find it very comfortable, and you can listen to music for hours on end, sealed away from the rest of the world.

They may be just too isolating for the office, thats why I have an HD 555 on the way.

Enjoy listening to classical, ambient, electronic, funk and soul on this can.

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 43
Yep.
The midrange and over all even frequency transition are excellent on the K271s.
Somewhere in the low notes get a tad softish and does not have the same level of resolution as RS1 or W2002, so when going gets tough it can't sort out the transient impact from the decays on low notes.

But they can track the midrange and has a pretty good grip in upper bass transients where it can give a springy fast feel. Reminde me a bit of an old Stax cans driven by a Naim amp.
tongue.gif

For the price they are hard to fault from what they deliver sonicaly.

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #14 of 43
I agree it is warm, but I'm still not certain it has bass. I think it is just the lower mids being heavily boosted. If there was bass, the bass boost on my M3 would actually work
biggrin.gif
I'm using max boost right now and no difference from no boost. With K501, only need about 1/5 boost to hear a clear difference. Really bassy tracks sound lean on k271 compared to k501. Mids are weird but sound really good. This is definately the hardest headphone to figure out
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back