K240 V.W5000 [David V. Goliath]
Apr 12, 2007 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

phergus_25

Headphoneus Supremus
First off, I know that from the looks of this I would have wasted 4 hours of my life comparing two headphones that are in completely different leagues. And at first glance I would agree with you. I’m putting a $750 dollar flagship can against a 30 year old can that almost no one really gives any credit. However, I think that the K240 really deserves A chance to show what its all about.

DSCF0444.jpg

History

I purchased my W5000s and promptly did the Fitz mods to tame the upper mid screech that made them painful, for me, to listen to. After this mod I have yet to hear a pair of cans that I prefer. I refinished the wood, that’s why they don’t have the AT logo and all on them.

The K240s were bought from a fellow Head-fi’er, Fitz. He graciously gave me a GREAT deal on them, and also refurbed them with new internal foam, and new elastics, as well as just cleaning up the whole set. With the price I bought them at, they are definitely THE best audio deal I have gotten so far. I bought them for my little brother to use and he considers them a GIANT step up from the Koss A250s of mine he was using.

Build

I think it is obvious which set wins here. The AT’s just have one of the best builds I have seen on any pair of headphones. My only complaint about the AT’s is that when first bought they were too wide for my head; but with some bending, they will fit well.

DSCF0445.jpg

The AKGs do not have bad build mind you. They fit snuggly, and are relatively non-dependant on placement, where as the AT’s can shift the stage with a half inch adjustment to the front or back.

DSCF0446.jpg

The Sound

Equipment Used
Toshiba SD 9200
Fitzpatrick Audio Black Clover IC’s
JA Audio 6080/12ax7 based HP amp
Mazda grey plate 12AX7s

K240 Sextets
W5000s

Bass
The bass on the W5ks is some of the best quality bass I have heard. It is amazingly articulate as well as deep. With its even presentation some call it bass lean, however, I feel that it has amazing slam, when driven right, and bass detail second to none, that I have heard that is.
The bass on the K240s is a different beast. I was surprised with the amount of bass these things are capable of. They really have a good quantity, but fall to the W5ks mainly in detail and slam. They are defiantly much better in this department than the Koss A250s my brother was using, so they are deff no slouch. They really make Sublime and other bassy material sound fun.

Mids
Remember that my W5ks are not stock, they have been Fitz modded to take away some of the, IMO, squawky mid peaks. They still deff have the AT house sound in the mids, which is a love or hate thing, or maybe its not, but you defiantly have to hear it to know if you like it or not. The mids are extremely vivid and make vocals sound great.
The mids on the K250s are more forward than on the W5ks even, well there are an AKG right. They have a REALLY fluid presentation that lets you just sink into vocals. For just vocal music I could see where some might prefer the K240s to the W5ks. Surprising as that may be they are just that good. With out a slight hint if semblance they really let you enjoy music, even if its not of the highest recording level.

Highs
I think the highs are where the W5k really pulls ahead. With a nice sparkle up top, it gives the little bit extra that is needed for stings, especially it acoustic guitar, or a string quartet. I am a wuss for shrillness, so I will deff say that the W5ks are not shrill, in my configuration, but they have alittle sparkle that, IMO, is needed.
The K240s do not do bad in the highs at all. They just lack some of the highest reach. I find that I miss some of the sparkle and resonance of strings or other instruments. They are great for a late night session if you are on the verge of a headache or just tired and want a very euphonic experience.

Staging
The staging on these phones was one of the most interesting differences that I found. As many of you my know, the W5ks are known for their 3D sound stage. You can feel the music all around your head and at times it seems behind. Due to this, I personally have a hard time placing instruments at times, just because I have a hard time envisioning how it could be in a physical setup. However, I find this one of the great parts of the W5ks, it gives an experience that my horns, or any other audio setup I have heard, can replicate. Its wild to hear a sound and turn your head real quick to see where it came from, only to find it was in the song.
The staging in the K240s is a very traditional placement. It stretches form one point to the other, with very defined parameters. I can place the set, the guitar, and the bass without any problems. This is in no way better, or worse, than the W5ks, its just a very different experience.

Slam
I make this a section for one reason, with my setup the W5ks have more slam than I have heard from another set of headphones. They just really can just kick you in the face, in a good way, when you want to rock out with the volume up; this is one thing that the K240s lack.

Detail
As I have said before, the W5ks have amazing detail, as one of the more sensitive phones around you have to be careful for humms, clicks, or any other thing that can be introduced to the audio chain. When its there you hear it. From the bass to the highest reaches you hear soft breaths, rustles, and anything else that has been recorded. This to me really gets me into a live recording, when I can hear the room and the people in it.
The K240s have a nice sound, and an cover up a bad source or recording without a problem. But with this strength they do leave a little to be wanted in the detail for some songs. It’s not something that you would hear when you just listened to a new song. But when its material that you have heard a million times you will miss a little of what you had before.

Overall

I find that there are still some things that keep me from selling my W5ks and just using the K240s. The K240s lack a little detail, slam, and intimacy. However, is it $700 worth of that, Hell No! Personally, I feel that the AKG K240 Sextets are the best dollar for dollar head phone I have ever heard. They are hard to find, and even harder to find in good shape. But if you can I would suggest getting a pair. They make an excellent back up pair of phones, or pair of phones for your main if you do not want to spend $300 for something else.

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Weird, I always thought the sextets looked like this:
sextett1en2.jpg

and the ones with the normal headband were the 'ordinary' K240S
blink.gif

Could someone fill me in on this? Maybe I'm just too confused with all these K240 models that are floating around...

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 6
According to Fitz, the AKG expert, there were a few diff headbands used on the K240. These are most deff the Sexs, just diff year.

I got these off of Fitz recomendation, and he prefurs them to the K340, correct me if Im wronge Ryan. I like them, but theres something alittle off for me.

Glad yall enjoyed it.

Just for clarification I want it to be known that my W5000s are modded, with the F5005 mods. So my observations are according to that sound sig.
-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back