k240 photo guide: sextett to monitor
Nov 14, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbcpc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well,it really means something

It's showing how to tell the different types of Sextetts apart and and showing the difference between the Sextetts and other 600 ohm K240s (K240M and K240DF).

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #35 of 55
the shape of screen can not be the unique mark of SEXTETT EP/MP. I find a Sextett mp on ebay,yet the screen is of the shape of SEXTETT EP
confused_face(1).gif
confused_face(1).gif

20100309_ad54670ee3f3180e9d4fwanC717A0tsm.jpg

20100428_0fc793f7a91498b6f27fULqclQ7AQCYs.jpg

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #36 of 55
what is by "early monitor" meant? first few years of production or first 20 years? or just the version older than the last one?

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolsnipe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't normally like to do reviews, but seeing as these cant really be bought ill say that they sound really good, very open, deep, effortless and natural,awesome for jazz

I have a pair of K240MKII can you explain me how to open it?
What are the differences between the DF, Sextett and classic version?
I understand that this mod has improved the soundstage, right? Is possible do this mod in mine cans?
Thanks for your reply!
k701smile.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeckyllAndHyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is by "early monitor" meant? first few years of production or first 20 years? or just the version older than the last one?

Three sonically different versions of the Sextett have been identified. They've been designated EP (early production), MP (middle production), and LP (late production). Essentially, the later the production, the less bass.

I've never heard an EP. I own a MP and LP. The difference isn't huge. I like both better than the K240M and I like the DF better than the Sextett.

Quote:

Originally Posted by netsky3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of K240MKII can you explain me how to open it?
What are the differences between the DF, Sextett and classic version?
I understand that this mod has improved the soundstage, right? Is possible do this mod in mine cans?
Thanks for your reply!
k701smile.gif

The Sextetts have the most bass. The DF has the flattest FR. All of them are 600 ohms so much harder to drive than the MKII. I've not heard the S or MKII so I don't really know how they compare. Most people who have heard both 600 ohm and newer ones tend to prefer the 600 ohm ones.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #40 of 55
What did you do with the casing you replaced with the mesh? I am in need of some new casing as mine has a small crack on my sextetts. Also, do you have any extra elastics or head bands?

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #41 of 55
jeckyllandhyde-

as for the 'early monitor' designation, these baffles are from the monitor phones, or the first ones to have a gold ring. i looked through my parts, and all the types of baffles i have are shown in the pictures, i was just lead to believe that what i had was an early version of the monitor based on conversations with fellow head-fiers, i am not sure when if ever monitors switched to different baffles, and i am not sure what they look like if they are not pictured

netsky3-

in order to open the k240, you need to pry off the badges from the sides (the gold stickers) under those are screws, everything comes unscrewed easily after that

i am not sure what you mean by 'classic' but the differences between the sextett and df are the drivers and baffles, as shown in the pictures

i wouldn't cut up your cans based on my recommendation alone they are great just how they are (and my opinions tend to change from day to day), i just have about 10 pairs, and had some parts to mess around with, if you want to try a reversible mod, there is some dense material that covers the holes on the cups of the k240 from the inside, maybe you could remove that and compare

Chrispy-

i don't have any extra headbands, i use small hair bands for replacement elastics, they are cheap and work well.
i cut up the plastic housing to use the copper mesh, but may have some extra parts if you are interested, however if you need an extra headband from akg, you could easily get all the parts you need from them at the same time

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #42 of 55
I asked, because I got the same bafflesas in K240M in my K250 and same baffles as DF in my K260Pro headphones - could it be that K260pro is modified DF?

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #44 of 55
I have both Sextett LPs and the 55ohm MKIIs. Both are fine. The new one has more bass, but less detailed. The Sextett has more and better mids, while the MKII has better and more detailed highs, but less of them. The MKIIs are more laid back, while the Sextett LPs are as flat as my studio monitors. You can't mod the 55ohm versions like the Sextetts, they have different grille and drivers. I like the Sextetts better, but my brother prefers the MKIIs.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeckyllAndHyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked, because I got the same bafflesas in K240M in my K250 and same baffles as DF in my K260Pro headphones - could it be that K260pro is modified DF?

I think it's more likely that they just reused some parts between different models. They all use the same ear pads for instance. There's no reason the same baffle can't be used for different headphones. That said, I've owned all of these except the K250. They all have a similar sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back