K1000 vs balanced HD650
Feb 23, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm contemplating going for a DAC or CDP w/ digital inputs instead, to meet my source needs better, but thanks for the tip. I think if I do try out the K1000, the Extreme w/ a Ken-Rad in the driver position (and I have like 10+ of the 12SN7 version) would help out a lot, too. Still not sure, but I guess I'll just have to try it out for myself.

I'd go for the Modwright upgrade, and get an inexpensive speaker amp (vintage SS, or perhaps one of the newer Class-D digital amps) for the time being.

You will retain (and upgrade) your SACD capabilities, as well as upgrading the players Redbook capabilities.

IME, the K1k's are as finicky about the speaker amp if you have the right source.

Sorry for the OT diversion, y'all
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #17 of 20
OK, just to end the OT, since I'm not sure yet how I'll like the K1000, and since I don't have that much to work with (and my player's already modded), I'm not ready yet to ditch the headphone setup and go with a speaker amp yet...hence my idea of the Extreme. I'm still very hesitant...

Edit: BTW, I never use SACD, I got the unit just for CD and DVD, but I'll be moving DVD to an HTPC, so yeah...also I don't know if I'm going to go w/ a Squeezebox or stay w/ CD....so I'm not sure how source'll turn out either

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #19 of 20
I've heard many different K1000 systems and many different HD650 systems. The K1000 certainly does excel in many areas, especially with some of the Pass Labs designs, some 300B amps or some nice (MBL
smily_headphones1.gif
) mono-blocks - the unique design of the K1000 allows for a very different presentation, and it’s probably my favorite dynamic headphone. However, the HD650 can sound revelatory in its own right. The HD650 sounds unbelievably good with the SDS-XLR, even better than I've ever heard it with any other balanced amplifiers (which already sound amazing with the HD650). The Noise Outlaw Audio "Duality" 300B was another remarkable amp; in fact it's the only single-ended amp that rivals the SDS-XLR for HD650 performance (it sounds like a "super Cary 300SEI"). Yes I love my K1000 and I think it's the most unique headphone ever, but the HD580/600/650 are excellent dynamic headphones and scale beyond what many can even imagine – I even prefer the HD600/650 to the R10 when properly amplified (Yes, the Orpheus still owns my heart; if the R10 is considered the "King" than the HE90 is the dictator-for-life-emperor of headphone-dom).

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard many different K1000 systems and many different HD650 systems. The K1000 certainly does excel in many areas, especially with some of the Pass Labs designs, some 300B amps or some nice (MBL
smily_headphones1.gif
) mono-blocks - the unique design of the K1000 allows for a very different presentation, and it’s probably my favorite dynamic headphone. However, the HD650 can sound revelatory in its own right. The HD650 sounds unbelievably good with the SDS-XLR, even better than I've ever heard it with any other balanced amplifiers (which already sound amazing with the HD650). The Noise Outlaw Audio "Duality" 300B was another remarkable amp; in fact it's the only single-ended amp that rivals the SDS-XLR for HD650 performance (it sounds like a "super Cary 300SEI"). Yes I love my K1000 and I think it's the most unique headphone ever, but the HD580/600/650 are excellent dynamic headphones and scale beyond what many can even imagine – I even prefer the HD600/650 to the R10 when properly amplified (Yes, the Orpheus still owns my heart; if the R10 is considered the "King" than the HE90 is the dictator-for-life-emperor of headphone-dom).

Nice to hear this from you...
I'm glad to have the same-identical consideration about the K1000
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back